ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina Basketball Discussion Thread

So I still think we take 2 more bigs. We have 5 scholarships for 2022 and I think we want 3 of those 4/5 guys, one wing (Taylor is my hope/prediction) and a PG.

Yes to Justin Taylor. Great stroke. He also seems very mature and appears to have great leadership abilities. I hope to travel an hour up the road this coming season to watch him a couple times.

Reactions: dadika13
Yes to Justin Taylor. Great stroke. He also seems very mature and appears to have great leadership abilities. I hope to travel an hour up the road this coming season to watch him a couple times.

Justin Taylor arrives on campus today. This is a major visit for us because he seems to be the kid that we’ve all clamored for years for Roy to recruit and just never did. He can shoot, multi year player that is getting better each year, and a great kid from what you hear from his interviews. He also seems to love UNC since he took an UV in the spring and has given UNC media a ton of attention since the offer came in.

My prediction is that he commits any time between now and 48 hours post-visit.

And get used to all the smartasses on here
tenor.gif

Reactions: Grayhead
The jerk store called. They’re running out of you.
...followed by "I slept with your wife..." (awkward silence)

"his wife is dead".

Seinfeld and The Office (the first 7 seasons - the last 3 without Carell sucked bigly, not funny at all)

I don't think there's been much funny writing to match these shows, that have come after them.

...followed by "I slept with your wife..." (awkward silence)

"his wife is dead".

Seinfeld and The Office (the first 7 seasons - the last 3 without Carell sucked bigly, not funny at all)

I don't think there's been much funny writing to match these shows, that have come after them.

Agreed. But I'll throw in Frasier as it is probably my favorite sitcom of all time. Absolute hilarity and somewhat of a sophisticated nature. That show was perfectly cast and written.

Are sitcoms even a thing anymore? I don't watch much TV these days outside of sporting events and 80s and 90s movies I've seen 200 times each. Sitcom writing became lazy and mundane. I'm sure all of them now are more about making political and social stances than just making people laugh. No thanks.

Reactions: Heelicious
Agreed. But I'll throw in Frasier as it is probably my favorite sitcom of all time. Absolute hilarity and somewhat of a sophisticated nature. That show was perfectly cast and written.

Are sitcoms even a thing anymore? I don't watch much TV these days outside of sporting events and 80s and 90s movies I've seen 200 times each. Sitcom writing became lazy and mundane. I'm sure all of them now are more about making political and social stances than just making people laugh. No thanks.
100% agree with every word of this post. Fraser was great. I sound like old man here, so be it....they all had great character development, too; and witty, longer funny setups to humor - the interaction of characters, and poking fun at the human condition, quirkiness - like Dwight from the Office, Fraser (and his brother) on Fraser, George on Seinfeld.

Other past shows were great, too. Cheers was awesome. MASH (mostly) and the Cosbies were great too. WKRP, Night Court, News Radio, Everybody Loves Raymond. All of these had some legit comedians behind the writing even if they didn't star in the sitcom....

I suppose some of the recent animated shows like South Park and Simpsons are good comedy.

But stuff like Friends, Big Bang Theory, 2 1/2 men, or any of a dozen stupid recent sitcoms that come and go without me remembering the name or watching a full episode..... no character development, no longer buildup of funny jokes or situations - just stupid, uncreative "edgy because we mentioned sex, drugs, drinking, etc".... Barf.

They use talking about this stuff as a substitute for no sense of humor, sht writers who aren't creative or funny, can't write anything except a 20 minute series of one liners that are all the same and all fall flat. What moron finds this stuff funny or cares at all about one of the characters?

Last edited:
@dadika13 , What's up with this Trimble recruit? People on radar are acting like he's a top five prospect and if we get him it will prove that Hubert is the greatest coach of all time. Is he a guy that is expected to move up in the rankings or is this another case of radar being radar?

@dadika13 , What's up with this Trimble recruit? People on radar are acting like he's a top five prospect and if we get him it will prove that Hubert is the greatest coach of all time. Is he a guy that is expected to move up in the rankings or is this another case of radar being radar?

When it comes to recruiting it seems the bar is definitely a lot lower now.

A little bit of both I guess...

Trimble is good and he'll move up the rankings to about 30-40 I'd guess. He's a guy that's mostly played off the ball and converted to PG a season or so ago. He's definitely score first and he's very athletic, if not a little raw. He's multi-year which is important for our PG (cc: @gunslingerdick) so I do think he'll be a very good college PG by his 2nd or 3rd year in college.

That said, I much prefer Bradley over Trimble. I'd never say it over there because the stupid response would be "give me the guy that really wants to be a Tar Heel." Bradley is a natural PG who has been playing the position his entire life and is more of a facilitator/floor leader at the next level. The Joel Berry comparisons are also pretty accurate. Trimble's upside is higher, but so is his floor. I think Bradley would be ready from day 1 to lead our offense and we'd have him for 3-4 years.

But, you can't turn down Trimble if he's ready to commit now so here we are. The "bar has been lowered" comment is just false. This kid is a top 40 player.

A little bit of both I guess...

Trimble is good and he'll move up the rankings to about 30-40 I'd guess. He's a guy that's mostly played off the ball and converted to PG a season or so ago. He's definitely score first and he's very athletic, if not a little raw. He's multi-year which is important for our PG (cc: @gunslingerdick) so I do think he'll be a very good college PG by his 2nd or 3rd year in college.

That said, I much prefer Bradley over Trimble. I'd never say it over there because the stupid response would be "give me the guy that really wants to be a Tar Heel." Bradley is a natural PG who has been playing the position his entire life and is more of a facilitator/floor leader at the next level. The Joel Berry comparisons are also pretty accurate. Trimble's upside is higher, but so is his floor. I think Bradley would be ready from day 1 to lead our offense and we'd have him for 3-4 years.

But, you can't turn down Trimble if he's ready to commit now so here we are. The "bar has been lowered" comment is just false. This kid is a top 40 player.

Nothing wrong with a top 40 player. When I say the bar has been lowered I am talking about people that act like a top 40 player is a top 5 player. Just call it like it is.. a good player that hopefully will develop into a great player.

Reactions: dadika13
Nothing wrong with a top 40 player. When I say the bar has been lowered I am talking about people that act like a top 40 player is a top 5 player. Just call it like it is.. a good player that hopefully will develop into a great player.
Ah ok, yeah I’m with you there.

Reactions: uncfootball-

But if we are consistently signing top 50 players that are NOT in the top 10, has the bar really been lowered? Because those top 10 guys aren't really giving as much to the program in their obligatory 1 year as maybe a 3 or 4 year guy ranked in the 40s. I don't know...I'm so jaded by the elite players and their need to be pampered and the unsettlement that comes with signing those guys. IMO, it might be raising the bar to bring in the slightly lower ranked guys that will ultimately offer more to the program over multiple years. If nothing else, they're offering consistency, which is at least something.

But if we are consistently signing top 50 players that are NOT in the top 10, has the bar really been lowered? Because those top 10 guys aren't really giving as much to the program in their obligatory 1 year as maybe a 3 or 4 year guy ranked in the 40s. I don't know...I'm so jaded by the elite players and their need to be pampered and the unsettlement that comes with signing those guys. IMO, it might be raising the bar to bring in the slightly lower ranked guys that will ultimately offer more to the program over multiple years. If nothing else, they're offering consistency, which is at least something.

Ra3c4460df94820397fafa3d3d9e593a1

Yeah I think we're all arguing the same thing, especially you and that @gunslingerdick guy. His point was more about Raider turning him into an elite player because he signed here and not seeing the actual player.

If we finish the class:

Washington 5*
Trimble 4*
Green 4*
Taylor 4*
Shaver 3*

That's a hell of a first class for a brand new coach. Him, May, and Lebo are apparently doing serious work with these kids.

Sort of related topic. I'm interested to see how much impact this new NIL is going to have on OAD players who are borderline first round picks. Like does Sharpe come back for another year if he can ink a contract with the local businesses that will get him $200k? Does he think it's not worth the risk of injury and/or wants to start the clock on his second contract? The new rules are something that could seriously help us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT