ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina Basketball Discussion Thread

If Leaky Black starts, then I'm not too optimistic about any of it. There's no reason for it. If it's some token gesture to cling to the obsolete way of doing things, then the new coach has an old habit that will cause problems in the future, like it was already causing during the RW years.
Eh, I'm not so sure about that.

Hubert has taken very big steps away from old habits just in the first 90 days as coach. He's throwing out many more offers, he's hellbent on playing a more modern game away from two bigs (or hell, even one true big), and little things like music during practices now happen.

Now, as to lineups and style, who knows and we won't know until we see games. But if Leaky is starting, I believe it will be because Hubert feels he is the best fit for our lineup. I don't love Leaky either but we don't really have another guy who is 6'7'', long as shit, and who can guard opposing good wings. When we play Duke and he wants Leaky to lock up Banchero, I can't really argue with that. Also, Leaky will fit a very specific role on this team, which will make him better. He was asked to do too much these last 2 seasons, he won't be this year.

Reactions: strummingram
Have a pretty good roster, still a few IFs, but at this point I'd say our ceiling depends on the maturation of Love.

I wonder if a UVA/UNC rivalry could start. When K leaves, Scheyer isn't going to be anywhere near as successful. I don't see NCSU ever getting any better. UVA is ruling the ACC roost.
When I was at unc ‘78-‘83 there was a huge rivalry with them. I would say it was state then dook and uva close together in terms of hate. They had Sampson in bball and beat us in prob the most heartbreaking loss of unc fb ever to knock us out of national title hopes (keldorf interception in end zone). My hate has burned bright ever since.

When I was at unc ‘78-‘83 there was a huge rivalry with them. I would say it was state then dook and uva close together in terms of hate. They had Sampson in bball and beat us in prob the most heartbreaking loss of unc fb ever to knock us out of national title hopes (keldorf interception in end zone). My hate has burned bright ever since.
Yeah... That Sampson era. Damn, you were there at a great time. The first NCAAT, too. Al Wood, Dudley Bradley, O'Koren. And, the 82 players from the start. Lucky you.

I was at the 82 home game against UVA. Only time I ever saw Sampson in person. One of the best games ever.

Now that it appears that Hubert can recruit (or should I say it's confirmed May is a boss on the trail), all we need to know is can he coach and/or can he handle the politics. He needs to be able to do at least one of those to be successful at UNC. There will be too many people (see radar) that will freak out over the results of this year, though. Good or bad. I think it's going to be year three before we really know how good Hubert will be.

Reactions: dadika13
The Keldorf interception was in 1996.

Now that it appears that Hubert can recruit (or should I say it's confirmed May is a boss on the trail), all we need to know is can he coach and/or can he handle the politics. He needs to be able to do at least one of those to be successful at UNC. There will be too many people (see radar) that will freak out over the results of this year, though. Good or bad. I think it's going to be year three before we really know how good Hubert will be.
That's a good summation. It will take at least 3-5 years to get a feel for his true, long-term, abilities.

He's definitely got the players/talent that he needs, right from the jump.

Yeah... That Sampson era. Damn, you were there at a great time. The first NCAAT, too. Al Wood, Dudley Bradley, O'Koren. And, the 82 players from the start. Lucky you.

I was at the 82 home game against UVA. Only time I ever saw Sampson in person. One of the best games ever.
I met Sampson at Granville towers. He was on a recruiting trip. He had to duck to exit the elevator. I shook his hand and my hand looked like an infant’s next to his. He prob though i was weird and decided then to go to uva.

Reminder for those of you who don't want a good Friday.
The only time ever I “lost my shit” over a game. God I was pissed. Threw shit. Screamed. I Good times. Also it didn’t cost us a title as we had already lost to FSU but it def cost us a New Years bowl.

Last edited:

Heels beat UVA that year they were probably going to the Orange Bowl.. not a chance at playing for the National Title. It was a disappointing loss for sure. A lot of UVA fans had left before the interception and I think more came back than had left after the interception happened. Two points.. Brian Simmons ran an interception back and was tackled inside the 10 with the Heels up 17-3.. if he scores then it's over. After the INT that UVA returned for the TD the Heels proceeded to do nothing on offense I think going 3 and out twice. Fun fact.. UVA's offensive coordinator? The Tom O'Brien.

Longest ride back I ever had from any game. Little over 3 hours.. seemed like 12.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
How hyped should we be? Can he get that 5th star? Not that that matters all that much but is he high impact?
I don’t love that we will have like 4 guys who basically do the same thing (Garcia, Washington, Styles, Whitmore) but they are 4 really good players so tough to complain about that.

Whitmore is a high level guy. We have a log jam at his position though so he’s a guy you hope you don’t lose to a transfer because he’s stuck behind people.

I don’t love that we will have like 4 guys who basically do the same thing (Garcia, Washington, Styles, Whitmore) but they are 4 really good players so tough to complain about that.

Whitmore is a high level guy. We have a log jam at his position though so he’s a guy you hope you don’t lose to a transfer because he’s stuck behind people.

I don’t understand this poast. For starters, Garcia most likely won’t be around when Washington and Whitmore (if he commits) arrive on campus. Secondly, Whitmore can guard 3-4 positions and most likely will play the wing. Washington is a 4/5, no?

I don’t understand this poast. For starters, Garcia most likely won’t be around when Washington and Whitmore (if he commits) arrive on campus. Secondly, Whitmore can guard 3-4 positions and most likely will play the wing. Washington is a 4/5, no?
We've been told that there's absolute no guarantee that Garcia is gone after this year. He wasn't even invited to the combine this past year and I don't see him averaging 20ppg this season for us to jump him up any boards.

I think Whitmore is a 3-4. Watching him play, he doesn't shoot it well enough to keep RJ/Kerwin/Dunn off of the 2 guard position. So now we have Whitmore, Garcia, Washington, Styles, McKoy, Puff who will all demand minutes at the 3-4-5 spots. You likely also need to give Walton/Dunn minutes at the 3 in some lineups in order to get them enough minutes.

It's crowded dude.

We've been told that there's absolute no guarantee that Garcia is gone after this year. He wasn't even invited to the combine this past year and I don't see him averaging 20ppg this season for us to jump him up any boards.

I think Whitmore is a 3-4. Watching him play, he doesn't shoot it well enough to keep RJ/Kerwin/Dunn off of the 2 guard position. So now we have Whitmore, Garcia, Washington, Styles, McKoy, Puff who will all demand minutes at the 3-4-5 spots. You likely also need to give Walton/Dunn minutes at the 3 in some lineups in order to get them enough minutes.

It's crowded dude.

Many of us (certainly me included) were clamoring for Carolina to recruit 4 star guys that will stick around for multiple years. This is a residual effect of that strategy - a bunch of equally deserving and equally talented players vying for PT and no easy way to sort it out.

With that said, I think it's more likely Bacot is back for a senior year than Garcia is back for a junior year. Garcia has NBA skills while Bacot doesn't.

RJ at the 2? Not after Caleb leaves. He's is squarely sitting in the starting PG position for 2022-2023.

Many of us (certainly me included) were clamoring for Carolina to recruit 4 star guys that will stick around for multiple years. This is a residual effect of that strategy - a bunch of equally deserving and equally talented players vying for PT and no easy way to sort it out.

With that said, I think it's more likely Bacot is back for a senior year than Garcia is back for a junior year. Garcia has NBA skills while Bacot doesn't.

RJ at the 2? Not after Caleb leaves. He's is squarely sitting in the starting PG position for 2022-2023.
See, I don’t think RJ is a PG. I think he's more Marcus Paige, much better off the ball than trying to run our complex system. I think he'd be fine since he'd be a junior and he's smart (as Marcus was) but I think our best lineup would probably be him at the 2 and Walton at the 3...which we should see quite a bit this season. Our team really got to that next level when Berry played point next to Marcus off the ball.

That's why I'd rather us focus on Jaden Bradley since I think Trimble is really the only guy to play PG in 2022-23.

I love Whitmore and I agree with you on the 4 star guys, I just think the transfer portal (as shitty as it is) is a real thing and if you're too crowded at one spot you'll lose a guy who would really contribute down the line.

I think Bacot is gone. Even if it's G-league undrafted or overseas, I think he's got his mind made up that this is his last season...at least from what I've read about it.

Sounds like Mark had a Few too many

giphy-downsized-large.gif

So am I the only one on this board surprised at the recruiting success Scheyer is having at Duke?
Hubert has gotten some pretty good talent, too. The question is; Can they coach and WIN games with the talent? That remains to be seen.

Scheyer is K's heir and I'm sure that alone carries some clout. But, if he can't win games, they'll dry-up pretty fast. I'd say the same goes for Hubert.

So am I the only one on this board surprised at the recruiting success Scheyer is having at Duke?
Not really. I'm of the opinion that duke isn't just going to fall off the face of the earth as soon as K leaves. The history and popularity of duke is still recent enough to be a draw. Plus everyone knows K is still going to be involved with the program.

Not really. I'm of the opinion that duke isn't just going to fall off the face of the earth as soon as K leaves. The history and popularity of duke is still recent enough to be a draw. Plus everyone knows K is still going to be involved with the program.

Same here. And as fun as it would be to watch them suck ass, the greatest rivalry in all of college sports is built on Carolina and dook being two of, if not the two very best programs in college basketball. The significance of that rivalry would die down a lot if one of the programs goes to shit.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Timing of NIL helps a lot with both new coaches. UNC and Duke have the most to offer in that sense and I’m sure that helped land Lively and I know it helped land Garcia for us.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Can't say I'm surprised at all. The model at D is the OAD come to school for a semester, play the season and they are off to the league. Everyone else is there for injuries, fouls, and mop up time. That's not changing under Scheyer. At least in the short term, the OAD's can still come play and see what happens as they're still getting drafted. The question is going to be where are things at 3 or 4 seasons from now.

Timing of NIL helps a lot with both new coaches. UNC and Duke have the most to offer in that sense and I’m sure that helped land Lively and I know it helped land Garcia for us.
Agreed, but I think it works out more for us than most schools. It appears that Hubert is going to take a similar approach to Roy and build his teams around 2-4 year players. I think the ability to earn six figures by coming back will help us with guys like Sharpe that are borderline first round picks. Teams like duke or uk don't have as many of those types of guys.

Reactions: dadika13
Can't say I'm surprised at all. The model at D is the OAD come to school for a semester, play the season and they are off to the league. Everyone else is there for injuries, fouls, and mop up time. That's not changing under Scheyer. At least in the short term, the OAD's can still come play and see what happens as they're still getting drafted. The question is going to be where are things at 3 or 4 seasons from now.

Bingo. 100% accurate. Duke's brand can survive for a little while regardless of the coach. Even if they sucked this coming year, highly ranked recruits see Kyrie, Zion and Tatum making tons of money and think that can be them. And if they're highly ranked enough, it will be them despite playing for an unexperienced and unproven Scheyerface.

Yeah I think Hubert getting "his guys" this year is an effort to make those early seasons easier on him. As we've all seen from Duke and UK recently, top guys are extremely difficult to coach when you have a few of them.

I'm very bullish on our team this season and Hubert is lucky enough to not have to rely on freshman really at all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT