ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina Basketball Discussion Thread

But if we are consistently signing top 50 players that are NOT in the top 10, has the bar really been lowered? Because those top 10 guys aren't really giving as much to the program in their obligatory 1 year as maybe a 3 or 4 year guy ranked in the 40s. I don't know...I'm so jaded by the elite players and their need to be pampered and the unsettlement that comes with signing those guys. IMO, it might be raising the bar to bring in the slightly lower ranked guys that will ultimately offer more to the program over multiple years. If nothing else, they're offering consistency, which is at least something.

Ra3c4460df94820397fafa3d3d9e593a1
Looks like @gunslingerdick is playing with himself again.

How do we feel about Seth Trimble?

He's a guy that's going to shoot up rankings...Rivals correctly has him at 34, which is about where I think he'll land everywhere else. He's got a huge ceiling but not necessarily a natural PG, more of a combo scorer in the mold of Coby/Cole/Caleb. Possibility he grows also, he's 6'2-3 now and could grow to 6'4-5.

P.S. If Strum just started a trend of comparing all of our commitments to Beatles songs then I AM DOWN.

I'm not sure what to expect from these recruits yet since we have no clue what system Hubert is going to run. I mean, talent is obvious to recognize, but if Hubert has recruited Trimble to play the 5, then it's a horrible fit. Obviously that's not what he's doing, but you should get my point about fitting within the system.

I'm not sure what to expect from these recruits yet since we have no clue what system Hubert is going to run. I mean, talent is obvious to recognize, but if Hubert has recruited Trimble to play the 5, then it's a horrible fit. Obviously that's not what he's doing, but you should get my point about fitting within the system.
Yeah, I think obviously we'll have some new wrinkles but I generally think it will be what we're used to.

The one thing that could change, and I'd hate it, is our goal to always be in transition. It was my favorite thing about Roy Williams teams (when we had the right PG) was that he always wanted us to play fast and constantly put pressure on opposing defenses. I loved when we'd score within 2 seconds of our opponent's made basket. I don't know if Hubert will be as adamant about that (judging from his offers to some slower players, maybe not).

Also, it's obvious the 2 big looks are done. The days of Meeks/Hicks, Deon/Tyler, Jawad/May are over. This will no doubt have a negative impact on our reboudning.

What we'll make up though is shooting. It's obvious that if you can't shoot then Hubert simply isn't recruiting you. He's basically ignored Jarace Walker because of it. So we won't have to live through too many more 3 for 22 shooting nights.

But that said, Hubert played for Dean and coached the JV using Roy's system. We'll still see the 22/32/etc defensive looks and I hope we're still running. I also hope Hubert being a shooter himself, will emphasize getting out on shooters more in his defensive looks.

But that said, Hubert played for Dean and coached the JV using Roy's system. We'll still see the 22/32/etc defensive looks and I hope we're still running. I also hope Hubert being a shooter himself, will emphasize getting out on shooters more in his defensive looks.
This is what I'm interested in the most. I really hope he's more like Dean with his defense and plays multiple styles and switches up a lot to confuse the other team. I always thought that was one of Roy's biggest issues, especially in today's world of teams shooting so many threes.

Reactions: carolinablue34
Yeah, I think obviously we'll have some new wrinkles but I generally think it will be what we're used to.

The one thing that could change, and I'd hate it, is our goal to always be in transition. It was my favorite thing about Roy Williams teams (when we had the right PG) was that he always wanted us to play fast and constantly put pressure on opposing defenses. I loved when we'd score within 2 seconds of our opponent's made basket. I don't know if Hubert will be as adamant about that (judging from his offers to some slower players, maybe not).

Also, it's obvious the 2 big looks are done. The days of Meeks/Hicks, Deon/Tyler, Jawad/May are over. This will no doubt have a negative impact on our reboudning.

What we'll make up though is shooting. It's obvious that if you can't shoot then Hubert simply isn't recruiting you. He's basically ignored Jarace Walker because of it. So we won't have to live through too many more 3 for 22 shooting nights.

I think it will be a mix of all the stops he's made in his career. It may end up slower than roy liked, but still speedy enough. Doubt we will be walking it up the court.

Reactions: dadika13
I bet we still push the pace, and secondary fast break was a Dean thing, so that isn't going away. And even slow players can facilitate that - May made great outlet passes.

I love offensive rebounding dominance, it can make a difference on 'off' shooting nites, so I hope we don't go too small. It shouldn't be a crutch (thinking of mich st teams), but it's a nice bonus.

With NIL, it will be interesting to see if either play or academics suffer as everyone works on "building their brand." Across all schools and sports, not just UNC.

With NIL, it will be interesting to see if either play or academics suffer as everyone works on "building their brand." Across all schools and sports, not just UNC.
UNC is providing help with that and it's not that time consuming to do that. This isn't the old days. All you have to do to build a brand in today's world is tweet what you had for lunch. Any suffering with academics or decline in play hurts their brand (and with scouts, assuming they want to play in the pros), so I seriously doubt that happens.

in two months i feel like unc basketball went from “wtf is the roster going to look like” to “look at all the versatility we will have.”

i know what hubert said in his presser, but i believe we’re gonna see a different stamp for carolina basketball going forward.

Reactions: Heelicious
UNC is providing help with that and it's not that time consuming to do that. This isn't the old days. All you have to do to build a brand in today's world is tweet what you had for lunch.

It seems that way, but really it’s the other way around. Nobody gives a shit about what you had for breakfast until you’ve already built the brand. IG is flooded with millions of food pictures that nobody has ever seen. The average UNC football player has well under 10k followers on IG which isn’t enough to make any real money from.

YouTube pays somewhere between 2 and 10 dollars per 1000 views depending on the content type and what kind of value it creates for advertisers. But even on the high end, it takes like 1M views to hit 10 grand in Adsense revenue, before paying taxes.

There’s a lot of money in social media, but it’s a completely over saturated market. Even the hot chicks run paid campaigns to get content out and attract an initial following, before they monetize it.

All that said, I give it about a month before we find out about some hot volleyball player at Stanford bringing in six figures a month.

It seems that way, but really it’s the other way around. Nobody gives a shit about what you had for breakfast until you’ve already built the brand. IG is flooded with millions of food pictures that nobody has ever seen. The average UNC football player has well under 10k followers on IG which isn’t enough to make any real money from.

YouTube pays somewhere between 2 and 10 dollars per 1000 views depending on the content type and what kind of value it creates for advertisers. But even on the high end, it takes like 1M views to hit 10 grand in Adsense revenue, before paying taxes.

There’s a lot of money in social media, but it’s a completely over saturated market. Even the hot chicks run paid campaigns to get content out and attract an initial following, before they monetize it.

All that said, I give it about a month before we find out about some hot volleyball player at Stanford bringing in six figures a month.
I was being somewhat sarcastic. A college player basically already has a head start on branding, because they already have the brand of being a college athlete. They aren't just some regular person trying to start from scratch. It won't take much to expand what they already have if they want to. And it's not just the ad money on social media, it's also being an influencer, which means all they have to do is hashtag a product. UNC already has a support staff to teach them most of this stuff, so it's easily there if they want it.

I was being somewhat sarcastic. A college player basically already has a head start on branding, because they already have the brand of being a college athlete. They aren't just some regular person trying to start from scratch. It won't take much to expand what they already have if they want to. And it's not just the ad money on social media, it's also being an influencer, which means all they have to do is hashtag a product. UNC already has a support staff to teach them most of this stuff, so it's easily there if they want it.

But to be an influencer you have to be influential, not just have 10k followers on Instagram because you play for UNC. I guess companies might think that fans will support the companies who are endorsed by the more marginal athletes as form of support for them. But advertising/marketing is a ruthless industry. If they aren’t converting clicks into sales then the money dries up quick.

But to be an influencer you have to be influential, not just have 10k followers on Instagram because you play for UNC. I guess companies might think that fans will support the companies who are endorsed by the more marginal athletes as form of support for them. But advertising/marketing is a ruthless industry. If they aren’t converting clicks into sales then the money dries up quick.
The point I was trying to make is that they will have an easier time getting to that level than someone like you or me. They already have a built in advantage if they choose to use it. Chapel Hill BMW or "insert local business here" will have no problem paying a UNC guy a few thousand and giving him a car to drive around campus.

The point I was trying to make is that they will have an easier time getting to that level than someone like you or me. They already have a built in advantage if they choose to use it. Chapel Hill BMW or "insert local business here" will have no problem paying a UNC guy a few thousand and giving him a car to drive around campus.

Oh there’s no doubt about that. But everybody isn’t getting a car. Most athletes aren’t getting a car. If you’re Sam Howell or one of the basketball players in the main rotation then yeah I definitely see it. My only question is how many college athletes actually bring any real marketing value to the table. I guess we’re going to find out. And obviously boosters will figure out ways to keep top level talent happy.

Oh there’s no doubt about that. But everybody isn’t getting a car. Most athletes aren’t getting a car. If you’re Sam Howell or one of the basketball players in the main rotation then yeah I definitely see it. My only question is how many college athletes actually bring any real marketing value to the table. I guess we’re going to find out. And obviously boosters will figure out ways to keep top level talent happy.
funny thing about it in cola is, the current female athletes here, basketball, golf, and soccer, have had more success as of late and are legit pros and title contenders...the football team is somewhat on a high because of the hire, but they are talent deficient as of now, and the men’s bball team sucks.

the women’s golf team might have the best individual talent in the country.

Sure, but no one ever said everyone would. A swimmer might only make $10k, but that's a decent amount of pocket money for a 20 year old college kid. And it's definitely more than nothing.

Rumblings that NIL played a direct impact on us getting Garcia.
Looks like Hubert (refuse to call him some kind of ridiculous short name) is putting in the work. This year should be fun. May be the most anticipated year for me in a long while. He wasnt my choice, but i will be rooting for his success like crazy. I would love to see a nice breakdown of what we have in the stables once we see if the last kid will pop for us. Looking at you @dadika13

Reactions: blazers
Looks like Hubert (refuse to call him some kind of ridiculous short name) is putting in the work. This year should be fun. May be the most anticipated year for me in a long while. He wasnt my choice, but i will be rooting for his success like crazy. I would love to see a nice breakdown of what we have in the stables once we see if the last kid will pop for us. Looking at you @dadika13
My next meeting isn't for another 30 min so I'm going to give you a long one here...

For 2021-22, I expect Garcia moves Leaky to the bench but I can't be sure of it. It would be kinda shitty for Manek if we sold him the starting 4 spot and then get Garcia 2 months later, but, I don't know if that's what we sold him. I do know that the staff LOVES what they've seen from Manek so far so maybe we play Garcia at the 3. Caleb/RJ/Walton/Dunn I expect to eat up the minutes at the 1/2 spots, then it gets weird. You've got Bacot taking 25-30 min at the 5, with Garcia taking the other 10-15 there. I'd expect him to get another 15 at the 3-4 spots, with Manek getting 20-25 at the 4. Leaky/McKoy/Styles will split the minutes at the 3 (with McKoy getting minutes at the 4 with foul trouble/injury).

We're a top 10 team this year with Garcia. Not many will run out a top 7 as good as ours then if McKoy and the freshman give us anything then we're really really good.

It will be interesting to see if Hubert can get them to play at a level needed to be a true Final Four contender. We can't say he won't have the talent. I expect Caleb and Bacot to be All-ACC with Caleb being an All-American.

For 2022-23:

Washington is next up, expect that commitment either today or this weekend. That's a huge pickup for us in that it fills a massive need and it shows that the staff can land a 5 star recruit from the midwest so basically they can land anyone. Sean May is a force on the recruiting trail and apparently he was the guy who got Washington.

With Caleb, Bacot, and Garcia likely gone after this season...we'd have 5 open scholarships. Shaver, Trimble, and Washington take up 3 of them. I think we'll push to sign another wing/shooting guard in this class and then take a guy like Traudt or Filipkowski if they want to commit. Hubert is still very actively offering guys so I think he wants to make it a 5 man class so I think we can expect 2 more after Washington. I don't know who those 2 guys are right now...and I still think we'd take Jaden Bradley, but I don't think he'd come here.

Either way, we currently have the #1 ranked class in 2022 and honestly I don't see any of them being OAD so it's really really hard to find any faults in the Hubert and the staff right now. Kessler sucked but I don't think we would have pursued Manek or Garcia if we kept him and give me those 2 over Walker all day.

tl;dr: We're damn good, we have the #1 class in 2022 right now, things are looking really good.

My next meeting isn't for another 30 min so I'm going to give you a long one here...

For 2021-22, I expect Garcia moves Leaky to the bench but I can't be sure of it. It would be kinda shitty for Manek if we sold him the starting 4 spot and then get Garcia 2 months later, but, I don't know if that's what we sold him. I do know that the staff LOVES what they've seen from Manek so far so maybe we play Garcia at the 3. Caleb/RJ/Walton/Dunn I expect to eat up the minutes at the 1/2 spots, then it gets weird. You've got Bacot taking 25-30 min at the 5, with Garcia taking the other 10-15 there. I'd expect him to get another 15 at the 3-4 spots, with Manek getting 20-25 at the 4. Leaky/McKoy/Styles will split the minutes at the 3 (with McKoy getting minutes at the 4 with foul trouble/injury).

We're a top 10 team this year with Garcia. Not many will run out a top 7 as good as ours then if McKoy and the freshman give us anything then we're really really good.

It will be interesting to see if Hubert can get them to play at a level needed to be a true Final Four contender. We can't say he won't have the talent. I expect Caleb and Bacot to be All-ACC with Caleb being an All-American.

For 2022-23:

Washington is next up, expect that commitment either today or this weekend. That's a huge pickup for us in that it fills a massive need and it shows that the staff can land a 5 star recruit from the midwest so basically they can land anyone. Sean May is a force on the recruiting trail and apparently he was the guy who got Washington.

With Caleb, Bacot, and Garcia likely gone after this season...we'd have 5 open scholarships. Shaver, Trimble, and Washington take up 3 of them. I think we'll push to sign another wing/shooting guard in this class and then take a guy like Traudt or Filipkowski if they want to commit. Hubert is still very actively offering guys so I think he wants to make it a 5 man class so I think we can expect 2 more after Washington. I don't know who those 2 guys are right now...and I still think we'd take Jaden Bradley, but I don't think he'd come here.

Either way, we currently have the #1 ranked class in 2022 and honestly I don't see any of them being OAD so it's really really hard to find any faults in the Hubert and the staff right now. Kessler sucked but I don't think we would have pursued Manek or Garcia if we kept him and give me those 2 over Walker all day.

tl;dr: We're damn good, we have the #1 class in 2022 right now, things are looking really good.
Thank you sir. I really needed something to light that carolina blue fire again!! Still a little nervous about his in game coaching, but who isnt. I really hope we arent sitting here next asking what happened

Reactions: dadika13
For 2021-22, I expect Garcia moves Leaky to the bench but I can't be sure of it. It would be kinda shitty for Manek if we sold him the starting 4 spot and then get Garcia 2 months later, but, I don't know if that's what we sold him.
If Leaky Black starts, then I'm not too optimistic about any of it. There's no reason for it. If it's some token gesture to cling to the obsolete way of doing things, then the new coach has an old habit that will cause problems in the future, like it was already causing during the RW years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT