ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina football discussion thread

Is this thread where we turn to complain about the old fogeys on Blitz that don't want black/navy/etc. anywhere on the uniforms? And we can come get refuge from Woad's hatred of Marquise?
Let's draft the cliques this time before we start hurling the insults. I want to be on the Blitz team for this one. I'll be the most unreasonable poster (spelled without the "a" to show disdain) and all my opinions are facts. I'll also pretend to not notice this thread exists since I won't have the ability to coexist in such a discussion anyway.
GMAFBAGFY

Let's draft the cliques this time before we start hurling the insults. I want to be on the Blitz team for this one. I'll be the most unreasonable poster (spelled without the "a" to show disdain) and all my opinions are facts. I'll also pretend to not notice this thread exists since I won't have the ability to coexist in such a discussion anyway.
GMAFBAGFY

Nice. I'll make sure to drop a "Hi '92 ;)" every once in awhile, since we know you'll be monitoring it - but just will never actually chime in on it out of pride.

By the way - "GMAFBAGFY" would be an outstanding signature choice as well.

It seems most of the posters over here are basketball and football fans as well as a lot of non-revenue sports as opposed to the basketball only crowd. How many have season tickets for football? No judging just curious. I have season tix but I can be in Chapel Hill in not much over an hour so my situation is very advantageous for making every home game. I also attend the dook game in Durham fairly regularly. I have also been to State on the road many times over the years but probably won't go back and also ECU because I'm pretty much in betwixt Greenville and Chapel Hill.

@TarHeelNation11, @grillheel, @heelz2345, and I over here are all football season ticket holders. Not sure if I'm forgetting anybody. THN comes to virtually every game all the way from Atlanta. We've worked out a system where, if he wants, he can drive to my place in Charlotte on Friday night and crash, then we both head to the game together Saturday morning. Helps break up his drive.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
Yeah, I've been a season ticket holder for almost 40 years. Dang, that's a long time (and I'm really old). I've seen a lot of great games and had a bunch of disappointments too. Just gotta love those football Saturdays in Chapel Hill. Btw, no way Lawrence Taylor was only the 7th best player in Carolina history.

We've worked out a system where, if he wants, he can drive to my place in Charlotte on Friday night and crash, then we both head to the game together
That sounds like the beginning of every story about a serial killer. Have you ever asked him what his thoughts are about people who make human skin suits?

Can I be the guy who pulled my support when Mack Brown left and is still trying to relive the mid-90s?

Just kidding.

At this point if I make it to a football game and a basketball game a year, it's a good year. Would love to be there more often, and I do try to watch them all if remotely possible. Maybe when the girls are a little older we'll be able to do it a little more often and make a family day of it.

Reactions: tarheel0910
watched this at certain points today...how about these uni's @TarHeelNation11

Those jerseys are truly awful. Like truly, truly awful. Every single combo we wore during the pre-Ourgyle/post-Butch Fedora re-brand was miles better than that crap in that youtube video. Holy crap my eyes hurt.

I actually love our new uniforms now. I did not think there was any way argyle could be interpreted into a football design and have it look good, but somehow Nike pulled it off. I think we look sharp, traditional, but still edgy. The Carolina blue pops on TV.

That being said, our best unis came at a time when we were sucked the most -- early 2000s Bunting era. See below:

Darian%20Durant%20vs%20Miami.jpg

That being said.....I'm very close to liking the argyle unis more than the above. It's such a dang good look.

Reactions: tarheel0910
It seems most of the posters over here are basketball and football fans as well as a lot of non-revenue sports as opposed to the basketball only crowd. How many have season tickets for football? No judging just curious. I have season tix but I can be in Chapel Hill in not much over an hour so my situation is very advantageous for making every home game. I also attend the dook game in Durham fairly regularly. I have also been to State on the road many times over the years but probably won't go back and also ECU because I'm pretty much in betwixt Greenville and Chapel Hill.
As @Raising Heel mentioned, several of us are football season ticket holders. Personally, I do not attend any basketball games in Chapel Hill. Because of the distance for me, I can't drive up there on a Tuesday night just to see us wax Boston College at home. And then for the really good games like Duke, it's impossible (without spending 4-digits) to get tickets.

That being said, like most on OOTB, I follow multiple Carolina sports very closely. As much as I claim I'm not a basketball guy, I still watch every single Carolina bball game once ACC season starts. I'll admit I do not watch many of the early season OOC games because it's boring seeing us beat UNC-P by 70 points. I use to follow the men's soccer program really closely but haven't as much in the past couple years, just because virtually no games are on TV. I follow men's lax from a distance and also keep an eye on field hockey because I used to cover that program when I wrote for the DTH (ugh).

It is my wish that more Carolina fans would give non-basketball sports a try. It's totally cool with me that many of our "sidewalk" fans exist because of basketball. That's fine and good! But I would implore those fans to embrace Carolina athletics as a whole and follow football too, and baseball in the late spring. That's the beauty of sports.....one ends and another begins.

I occasionally attend basketball games but I enjoy the football experience a lot more. The week day basketball games are just tough to make , you have to fight the Raleigh and Durham traffic and I swear it seems to take longer to clear Chapel Hill after a basketball game than a football game.

I've been to at least one football and one basketball game every year since I graduated (2010). Usually its more than 1 basketball game, but it's kind of tough for me to consistently make more than that given my location (but I watch pretty much every football and bball game on TV unless I have something else going on). I'd say about half the games I see are in Chapel Hill and half are road games. I obviously catch them anytime they play @BC - but that has only been basketball so far due to the stupid football scheduling. I like to plan trips around the road games - I usually go to the @Miami football games since I have some boys down there (would have liked to do the same for the UGA game but missed the boat on tickets it looks like), went to the UCLA game in Brooklyn this year (and I'm going to Vegas for the UK game next year), and things like that.

I watch the men's lacrosse team pretty regularly, and I'll occasionally watch a baseball game but usually not until the postseason. As for the other sports - I'll always pull for Carolina but probably wouldn't watch the game unless it was the championship game or something (like the women's lax team this year).

I've been to at least one football and one basketball game every year since I graduated (2010). Usually its more than 1 basketball game, but it's kind of tough for me to consistently make more than that given my location (but I watch pretty much every football and bball game on TV unless I have something else going on). I'd say about half the games I see are in Chapel Hill and half are road games. I obviously catch them anytime they play @BC - but that has only been basketball so far due to the stupid football scheduling. I like to plan trips around the road games - I usually go to the @Miami football games since I have some boys down there (would have liked to do the same for the UGA game but missed the boat on tickets it looks like), went to the UCLA game in Brooklyn this year (and I'm going to Vegas for the UK game next year), and things like that.

I watch the men's lacrosse team pretty regularly, and I'll occasionally watch a baseball game but usually not until the postseason. As for the other sports - I'll always pull for Carolina but probably wouldn't watch the game unless it was the championship game or something (like the women's lax team this year).
Are you in Boston? I have loved the Red Sox since '67 when I got my first pack of baseball cards and that guy with the name that I couldn't pronounce(at the time) that began with Y just caught my fancy.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
I go to a few basketball games a year as well as a few baseball games ... I watch every football game on TV but have never been .. No rhyme or reason as to why not but I plan on coming to a couple this fall

I make it to a couple Heels football games per year but not always to Chapel Hill. In the years we play UVa in Charlottesville, I always attend. And then I always go to the duke game whether it's played in Chapel Hill or Durham. As for basketball, I used to go to at least one or two games per season but I don't have it in me anymore to spend 5 hours in the car to sit and watch a basketball game for 2 hours. Most years I still try to take my boys to a game over the Christmas holiday and I'll stay with one of my buddies. But that's usually more to see one of my friends and his family than it is to actually see the Heels. If Carolina is playing any sport on TV and I don't have anywhere to be, I'll watch. I make a point to watch basketball, baseball, lacrosse and football. And I DVR all football and basketball games because my 4 year old refuses to watch anything on TV except sports. So he's always asking for me to "put a Carolina game on".

I go to a few basketball games a year as well as a few baseball games ... I watch every football game on TV but have never been .. No rhyme or reason as to why not but I plan on coming to a couple this fall
Awesome news!! Whatever you do, DON'T buy tickets low down close to the field. Do not do it. Trust me. You won't be able to see a thing. The absolute lowest you should sit if you get tickets in the lower bowl is like Z or AA (it starts at A and goes A-Z, than AA-ZZ, then ends at CCC. This site is a useful tool to use to scout out a good spot when you're looking for tickets. And remember, there's is nothing wrong with sitting in the upper bowl!! My season tickets are in the upper bowl, almost at the top and they are great seats. There's no bad seat in Kenan as long as you avoid the first 15-20 rows.

Are you in Boston? I have loved the Red Sox since '67 when I got my first pack of baseball cards and that guy with the name that I couldn't pronounce(at the time) that began with Y just caught my fancy.

Yes, Boston. Yaz was quite the player, so I've been told, but definitely before my time (I'm 28). Nice to see some fellow Sox fans on here (I believe @gunslingerdick said he was a Red Sox fan too?). This might be a decent year for the squad again - after a couple miserable ones recently. This organization is either winning a World Series or finishing in last place it seems over the past decade+.

Yes, Boston. Yaz was quite the player, so I've been told, but definitely before my time (I'm 28). Nice to see some fellow Sox fans on here (I believe @gunslingerdick said he was a Red Sox fan too?). This might be a decent year for the squad again - after a couple miserable ones recently. This organization is either winning a World Series or finishing in last place it seems over the past decade+.
The 1967 season was when I first became a sports fanatic ...The first Super Bowl , Red Sox-Cards World Series , Larry Miller leading the basketball Heels , The football Heels one year away from Don McCauley the world was simpler(at least for a kid).

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
Awesome news!! Whatever you do, DON'T buy tickets low down close to the field. Do not do it. Trust me. You won't be able to see a thing. The absolute lowest you should sit if you get tickets in the lower bowl is like Z or AA (it starts at A and goes A-Z, than AA-ZZ, then ends at CCC. This site is a useful tool to use to scout out a good spot when you're looking for tickets. And remember, there's is nothing wrong with sitting in the upper bowl!! My season tickets are in the upper bowl, almost at the top and they are great seats. There's no bad seat in Kenan as long as you avoid the first 15-20 rows.

Thanks for the info all of that is good to know ...whenever I go to purchase tickets and if I have any more questions I may ask you ..can't wait to catch them live

Site didn't work for me. Guessing its bc I'm on an iPad/iPhone. Saying I need to download Adobe which I'm about certain I can't w apple products. Any alternate sites? Or I could just get my lazy ass on a lap top huh

@Hark_The_Sound_2010 Kenan season tix could be yours for $125. Not great seats but hey you'd be in the building and could most likely flip the ones you don't use and come out close to even or even ahead.

LINK

The season package is cheaper than the UGA game by itself - which is sitting at $204 for the cheapest ticket now (including fees). I was at least pleasantly surprised that number had dropped from $250 or whatever it was last time I checked. There's still hope that I'll be at that game then if the downward price trend continues.

The season package is cheaper than the UGA game by itself - which is sitting at $204 for the cheapest ticket now (including fees). I was at least pleasantly surprised that number had dropped from $250 or whatever it was last time I checked. There's still hope that I'll be at that game then if the downward price trend continues.
Yeah I still get discounted season tickets (this is the last year I'm eligible) so I paid like $340 total for 2 tickets for all six home games. By contrast, I paid $590 for (4) tickets to the CFA game against UGA. These neutral site games are cash cows for the schools but price gouges for the fans. And I just checked StubHub, and some on the UNC side are down to $179 in the lower level endzone.

Site didn't work for me. Guessing its bc I'm on an iPad/iPhone. Saying I need to download Adobe which I'm about certain I can't w apple products. Any alternate sites? Or I could just get my lazy ass on a lap top huh
You've got to access it on a laptop or PC. You'll understand why when you see the site.

Reactions: toophly1124
Yes, it runs on Adobe Flash which Apple doesn't support. Stupid little grudge going between those two that only hurts consumers. I have an iPhone but refuse to get an iPad for this very reason.

I go to multiple games in multiple sports, but I only live 40 mins from Chapel Hill. Used to get season tickets for football but don't anymore for several reasons.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
I try to make it to 1 football game and 2 basketball game each year somewhere.... Watch almost everything Heels if it's on TV.... Having 3 kids, working most Saturday's keeps me away from more live appearances!!

this could be the year to join us.

No reason. I get 4 Pope Box tickets and a sweet parking pass for 1-2 games per year. For some other games, one of my buddies will have an extra and I will buy theirs. I also travel a fair amount in the fall, in addition to it being the best season to backpack.

So there are my several reasons. I might buy baseball season tickets though when our house is finished- I will only be 25 mins from Chapel Hill then.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT