ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB's Political Thread . ..

No, I'm saying that religion is what the topic focuses on. Don't steer away from it with another nonsensical comparison.

There could be disagreement over what constitutes a public school event. I would argue a football coach at a football game employed by the school does fall under that category.

Often times, deeply religious Christians in this country are very coercive. I've known people who were heavily ostracized and trashed for leaving their faith, Church, etc. Religion and faith do not belong in secular work spaces. Nor is it the place of a football coach to encourage prayer at a secular event if not everyone was on board.
the problem with this is typical. It isn't a perfect, black and white world where we easily draw lines of separation between various needs and wants and points of view. The football game was a school function. They should never run a play called 'Jesus Go Long', for example, unless that name was sort of a jest. If it was sort of a jest, who cares if some Muslim gets offended by it. Maybe they could insert a play called 'Allah Hitch and Go' just to appease the Muslim kids. But I digress.

Someone has to decide where the line is drawn, and I have to agree with the court that after the game, a prayer led by the coach is simply free speech. It's really fairly easy to see that the prayer isn't a school function just because a school function had taken place at the same field moments before. So the line is drawn because it had to be drawn, and a coach gets off the hook and hopefully re-employed. Probably would have been better off remaining a grey area, but happily it wasn't another overreach interpretation of the separation of church and state, which I happen to heartily support. People should understand that lines are necessarily drawn through the grey areas with bits of black and bits of white on both sides of the line.

And just to be clear and honest, I think the prayer after a game, or before a game is overly routine and silly. But I don't want to dictate what others do just because I have a different way of seeing things. Acknowledging the Lord after a game or a touchdown is laughable to me because all I can think of is God allowing wars to rage and ships to sink while he's enjoying helping his favorite player score a touchdown in a high school football game. 'Hey thanks, God, couldn't have done it without you'. Jeezus.

That isn't my God, but to each his own God and the freedom to pray to Him.

Looks like Cassidy is a liar, as I suspected.
Which sounds plausible? A young woman, devoutly republican with nothing to gain and everything to lose, goes before the January 6 Committee and lies under oath about a story she fabricated out of thin air, or a secret service agent who is described by his coworkers as an enabler and a yes-man for the former president who spoke out of turn and is now in denying it.

Intelligent people will say the latter. Republicans who refuse to face the truth will definitely say the former.

Looks like you are a gullible sap, poopslinger.

Which sounds plausible? A young woman, devoutly republican with nothing to gain and everything to lose, goes before the January 6 Committee and lies under oath about a story she fabricated out of thin air, or a secret service agent who is described by his coworkers as an enabler and a yes-man for the former president who spoke out of turn and is now in denying it.

Intelligent people will say the latter. Republicans who refuse to face the truth will definitely say the former.
They both sound plausible.

No. But eventually majority opinion should and will mean something. So i'm just highlighting that there have been a rash of "unpopular" decisions recently. NY gun control, this prayer thing, Roe v Wade, the Maine school thing. Eventually trust in the court will erode and politicians might do something (pack court or term limits for example)
Agree on trust in the court eroding, which is why politicians should come out and say the court's decisions should be respected. They shouldn't come out and trash the court and try to manipulate it through court packing. If the politicians don't like the decision, then they can always do something through legislation to fix problems. Of course that would require sanity and that doesn't exist much in politics. At least that's what the polls say.

Looks like you are a gullible sap, poopslinger.

Ooh, let me try:

What sounds more believable? An impressionable 26 year old know-nothing is trying to create a life for herself and was coerced into lying (with promises of protection) by skanky, shady, cheating democrats who want nothing more than their purposeless witch-hunt to stick?

Or a veteran SS agent confided in an impressionable 26 year old know-nothing instead of the scads of other agents with whom he’s worked for years and trust far more than a 26 year old debutant?

Looks like you’re not only gullible, but angry and irrational. Almost like you have some residual anger lingering from a traumatic childhood.

Reactions: nctransplant
Rather, she was relaying a story told to her by the Secret Service agents in the car.
I certainly don't think this girl was lying about it yesterday. Why would she? Again, she has no axe to grind.

I have no axe to grind either, but if you offered me some nice money from a TV tour on MSNBC and maybe a book deal, I'd get up there and spout some hearsay too.

"Oh so and so told me this happened, so it did". There's a reason Days of Our Woke Lives is being conducted on the set it is, as opposed to in an actual court room - and it's because all this hearsay bullshit would be thrown out the window.

But only one of them could have happened. Let me rephrase it: which is more plausible?
Good luck proving that. Both of them COULD HAVE happened.

She has her memory of what took place. And, the SS agents have theirs. First of all, they have to come forward, under oath, and testify to the contrary. Even if they don't do that, there's more than enough "doubt" created, anyway.

To be perfectly honest, I don't believe very much of what she said- even though I only heard bits and pieces. I don't believe Donald Trump tried to take the wheel of the "Beast." I'm not sure I believe the food throwing crap, either. It's not totally impossible, but I don't believe he did them. It's her word against theirs, if it ever came down to it. They had better proof with Billy Bush and the pussy tape.

Hell, for all we know, DJT decided to throw this girl out there intentionally, to create subterfuge with this bullshit, and have everyone aghast, and then have the SS agents dispute it. He could promise to pardon her, if she went down, and then never deliver on it. She could be a MAGA moonie first-class for all anyone knows.

I have no axe to grind either, but if you offered me some nice money from a TV tour on MSNBC and maybe a book deal, I'd get up there and spout some hearsay too.

"Oh so and so told me this happened, so it did". There's a reason Days of Our Woke Lives is being conducted on the set it is, as opposed to in an actual court room - and it's because all this hearsay bullshit would be thrown out the window.
They want this to be Watergate. But, Trump ain't Nixon.

I do think that some of his lackeys will take a hit- like Nixon's. The people trying to prosecute Trump would be better off trying to nail these underlings and make it actually look legit than endlessly trying to catch the Trump leprechaun.

The people that love Trump are never going to be moved. Hell, the people that are testifying against him would vote for him tomorrow!

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
Good thing that didn't happen.

The coach is a citizen of the United States. And as one, he is allowed to pray where and when he wants. If the plays in playbook were called "3 out slot - 73 Holy Ghost" and he was forcing the kids to say and learn those, you might have a point. But that's not what was going on. When the game ends, the school function is over and he has all the right in the world to go to midfield and pray and anyone that wants to join, can. Those that do not, are free to leave.
lol, I swear I had not seen this post when I posted something very similar. That's just hilarious.

I see you haven’t performed even the most basic research on her. Is that due to laziness or stupidity? Or both?

Hold on, doing research now....

....I'm back. Yep, looks like the 26 year old debutant went to Christopher Newport University. She's 5'6", 135 lbs and likes long walks on the beach. Maybe I'm missing something else.

They contradict each other, so both couldn't have happened. Someone is lying.
As I said, good luck proving that.

If just one of the SS agents testifies, she's toast. And, even if they don't, there's still no way to prove it.

Even if you look at the testimony about the people being armed, it's still hearsay without someone else to corroborate it.

Rub your head some more. Parents complained their children on the team felt compelled to participate, and the school board said he was coercive.

Dad of player under that coach sums up the crux: "Teenagers see coaches as authority figures who determine playing time and influence how well they interact with the rest of their teammates, their friends. When Kennedy met with the entire team on the field immediately following games, with the community watching, it would have been incredibly hard for a teenager, any teenager, to refuse to participate, even if Kennedy’s prayers conflicted with the student’s personal religious beliefs. I feel for any kids, especially religious minorities or nonreligious kids, who participated because they thought it was the only way to be a good teammate, to impress their coach and to be included as part of the team."

Coaches can force prayer to mythical beings on kids. But teachers can't talk about sexuality. Got it.

Non sequitur...and Im not sure you know. However, you'd rather your child be taught about guys sucking another dudes dick and girls eating each others coochie rather than the word of God? Got it.

Reactions: uncfootball-
As I said, good luck proving that.

If just one of the SS agents testifies, she's toast. And, even if they don't, there's still no way to prove it.

Even if you look at the testimony about the people being armed, it's still hearsay without someone else to corroborate it.
It doesn't matter whether I or the January 6 Committee can or cannot prove it. It's not like anyone is trying to earn Trump a traffic ticket for reckless driving. And even if Engel or Ornato testify and deny it, how is she toast?

As for the armed insurgents being hearsay, it has been known for a long time now that the secret service seized plenty of weapons using magnetometers near the Ellipse that day. You really need to pay closer attention if you want to speak intelligently on the matter.

Last edited:
Non sequitur...and Im not sure you know. However, you'd rather your child be taught about guys sucking another dudes dick and girls eating each others coochie rather than the word of God? Got it.
Thanks for the non sequitur.

Can't we have schools that teach both???

It doesn't matter whether or not I or the January 6 Committee can or cannot prove it. It's not like anyone is trying to earn Trump a traffic ticket for reckless driving. And even if Engel or Ornato testify and deny it, how is she toast?

As for the armed insurgents being is not hearsay, it has been known for a long time now that the secret service seized plenty of weapons that day. You really need to pay closer attention if you want to speak intelligently on the matter.
She's toast because it could be alleged that she lied... or, at least embellished. If it's either, then whatever she said can't be trusted.

They want this to be Watergate. But, Trump ain't Nixon.

I do think that some of his lackeys will take a hit- like Nixon's. The people trying to prosecute Trump would be better off trying to nail these underlings and make it actually look legit than endlessly trying to catch the Trump leprechaun.

The people that love Trump are never going to be moved. Hell, the people that are testifying against him would vote for him tomorrow!
I'm glad i'm not Garland.

She's toast because it could be alleged that she lied... or, at least embellished. If it's either, then whatever she said can't be trusted.
She admitted it was second-hand info, right? So the committee had to know this would be questioned. I suspect there is more follow-up.

Agree on trust in the court eroding, which is why politicians should come out and say the court's decisions should be respected. They shouldn't come out and trash the court and try to manipulate it through court packing. If the politicians don't like the decision, then they can always do something through legislation to fix problems. Of course that would require sanity and that doesn't exist much in politics. At least that's what the polls say.
Politicians should represent their constituents. It has taken decades for the gawd-fearing GOP to get what they want on this one. So it is dumb for anyone to expect some counter overnight, but they need to represent what their constituents are paying them for. If SCOTUS is incredibly out of touch, it only makes sense for there to be a response other than "welp... constitution says so".

She admitted it was second-hand info, right? So the committee had to know this would be questioned. I suspect there is more follow-up.
Did she??? I don't know. They dangle carrots all the time. This wasn't even a baby carrot.

At least Al Gore had the good sense to tell his entire campaign staff: "Don't trash the Supreme Court" after the ruling that stopped the count in 2000.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Politicians should represent their constituents. It has taken decades for the gawd-fearing GOP to get what they want on this one. So it is dumb for anyone to expect some counter overnight, but they need to represent what their constituents are paying them for. If SCOTUS is incredibly out of touch, it only makes sense for there to be a response other than "welp... constitution says so".
Their constituents are mostly ignorant when it comes to legal decisions and to be honest, so are the politicians (and to be more honest, you too). That's why you don't want the court listing to them. A lot of bad shit was popular at one point. They can still represent them and respect the court. It's not that hard to not attack the court. Constantly doing that is just asking for trouble. Or maybe you're looking for another January 6th style protest at the supreme court?

Their constituents are mostly ignorant when it comes to legal decisions and to be honest, so are the politicians (and to be more honest, you too). That's why you don't want the court listing to them. A lot of bad shit was popular at one point. They can still represent them and respect the court. It's not that hard to not attack the court. Constantly doing that is just asking for trouble. Or maybe you're looking for another January 6th style protest at the supreme court?
So now branches of gov can't be criticized?

ETA ^all parts of a democratic gov should be open for criticism, some more than others. But this is the whole point of my original post: If the scotus keeps going against popular will, they're going to be more and more ripe for criticism and any probs from criticism.

She told the committee that immediately following Trump's speech on the Ellipse and return to the White House she was in the West Wing hallway when Tony Ornato waved her into an office and told her what had just happened in the SUV. She said Bob Engel was sitting in a chair looking a bit "discombobulated."

This makes it firsthand information.

• Haha
She's toast because it could be alleged that she lied... or, at least embellished.
I would say it's already been alleged that she is lying by the secret service agents who won't admit the truth. What is the punishment for someone allegedly lying or embellishing? How many years in the clink do you think she'll get?

She told the committee that immediately following Trump's speech on the Ellipse and return to the White House she was in the West Wing hallway when Tony Ornato waved her into an office and told her what had just happened in the SUV. She said Bob Engel was sitting in a chair looking a bit "discombobulated."

This makes it firsthand information.
So wouldn't that be firsthand regarding Engel looking discombobulated, but second hand regarding Trump's actions? Either way, committee knew this, so surely they're expecting something else.

So wouldn't that be firsthand regarding Engel looking discombobulated, but second hand regarding Trump's actions? Either way, committee knew this, so surely they're expecting something else.
Regarding Trump's actions, yes, it would be secondhand since she wasn't riding in the presidential motorcade much less the same vehicle, but she didn't say in her testimony, "I saw the President grab the wheel and then grab Agent Engel."

What she did relay was what she was told by Agent Ornato, which by the way was not refuted at the time by Bob Engel. Anyone who actually thinks this girl dreamed up this narrative and then went before the committee under oath and shared it is more than likely in denial and simply shutting out what they don't want to believe.

So now branches of gov can't be criticized?

ETA ^all parts of a democratic gov should be open for criticism, some more than others. But this is the whole point of my original post: If the scotus keeps going against popular will, they're going to be more and more ripe for criticism and any probs from criticism.
I didn't say they can't be criticized. I said these dumbass politicians should tell people to respect the court's opinion instead of trying to ruin the court just because they don't like the ruling. You're trying to change the argument.

ETA: The court going against popular will is nothing new. What's new is these morons in charge are going after them because they didn't get their way.

I would say it's already been alleged that she is lying by the secret service agents who won't admit the truth. What is the punishment for someone allegedly lying or embellishing? How many years in the clink do you think she'll get?
I'm not talking about her having to do any jail time. I'm just trying to emphasize that her testimony will appear to be... ummm... less than credible, if these people she claims told her these things in her testimony, come forth and testify themselves that they NEVER told her any of it. It will be hearsay. "He told me Trump did this!" "No, I never told her anything." There's nothing there that will hold up in any court, let alone public opinion. If they DON'T testify, then it will be a different situation. However, for people who approve of DJT, what she has said are all lies. Of course, they wouldn't believe anything he did that might paint him in a negative way.

The details about what happened in the Beast was all second-hand. Someone allegedly told her what happened. She didn't actually see anything. I'm not sure how well that will hold up in any legal context. Maybe it will, I just don't know. Personally, I don't think he had the balls to actually be there at the capitol, in person.

I didn't say they can't be criticized. I said these dumbass politicians should tell people to respect the court's opinion instead of trying to ruin the court just because they don't like the ruling. You're trying to change the argument.

ETA: The court going against popular will is nothing new. What's new is these morons in charge are going after them because they didn't get their way.
It's just a further example of how the US governmental structure is like a marriage of two people that hate each other. They will debase any and everyone (or everything) around them in order to slander and denigrate their "adversary."

It's a big fvcking mess. When the divorce comes, it's going to be a sad day.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I'm not talking about her having to do any jail time. I'm just trying to emphasize that her testimony will appear to be... ummm... less than credible, if these people she claims told her these things in her testimony, come forth and testify themselves that they NEVER told her any of it. It will be hearsay. "He told me Trump did this!" "No, I never told her anything." There's nothing there that will hold up in any court, let alone public opinion. If they DON'T testify, then it will be a different situation. However, for people who approve of DJT, what she has said are all lies. Of course, they wouldn't believe anything he did that might paint him in a negative way.

The details about what happened in the Beast was all second-hand. Someone allegedly told her what happened. She didn't actually see anything. I'm not sure how well that will hold up in any legal context. Maybe it will, I just don't know. Personally, I don't think he had the balls to actually be there at the capitol, in person.
Not that it matters, strum, but absolutely nothing happened inside the Beast. It has already been discussed here that Trump was traveling in the presidential Escapade instead. What also doesn't really matter is who is telling the truth and who is lying in this grabbing-the-wheel saga. Like I said earlier, it's not like the committee is going to use her testimony in hopes of getting Trump a traffic ticket for reckless driving. It was more anecdotal than anything.

As the last two days in this thread have shown, those on the left who watched yesterday's hearing saw what a credible witness she is. Those on the right who aren't watching the hearings to begin with yet act like they have law degrees because they watched an episode of Law & Order claim she is lying or is being paid off. As if the committee would risk everything including their own careers to resort to tampering with witnesses.

The stupidity on this board is so thick right now you could stir it with a stick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT