ADVERTISEMENT

Orange Bowl gamethread

Great gm til final few min. Very entertaining and pretty good showing on the big stage.

Lingo irks me, but Sam was a tiny bit 'off', WR had several big drops and we had to start a walk-on RB.

Not a blow-out, doesn't hurt recruiting momo.

Bateman called a really good gm.

Longo screwed up some play calling for sure especially the last one that just burns me up. Dang live or die with Sam. I know brown would love to have the chance again and I hate it for him. His time to shine and dang it.

Recruiting will be ok.

Bateman and D did good enough to win.

Definitely amped for next yr.

Gotta figure out RB. Get a little more from Chapman/Kelly and we've got a great secondary. Grimes will grow a bunch under Hess.

I foresee bigger 3 man fronts next yr rather than 4 man sized stuff. Probably not an amazing front but bigger and better nthan this yr.

You do NOT abandon your teammates when they need you the most... EVER!

Football is a team sport. The school gave you a scholarship and a chance to be coached-up from high school.

Why play against WCU, or any game this season? Why play Miami? Why play in the ACC Championship? You don't get paid for any of the games.
I am not saying I totally agree with their decision but no one on this board knows what went on in the locker room and football facilities between them and their teammates so as the mantra goes next man up and for the most part those guys stepped up tonight and we had a chance to win!! Besides the playoff teams Texas A&M was the one team that I really didn’t want to face in a bowl but after what we went thru in 2017 and 2018 I will gladly take an Orange Bowl invite and look forward to 2021 season which is hopefully back to normal

And, you gotta think about this...

Did ANYONE in 2018 see us in the Orange Bowl 2 years later??? In the Orange Bowl, ranked #14, and poised to win in the 4th qtr, with a very depleted team and freshmen playing in their place and showing their future potential. No one saw this coming!

I don't remember being this excited for the next season after losing a game.

See there ya go being positive lol. Just messing with ya. Excited for next year but a lot to improve on too.

Need a stud RB to emerge before week 1 next year.

Both line units need to be better.

Sam can't be jumpy under pressure in big games.

Playcalling needs to be better.

___

Just not there yet. Lots of athletes at WR, and some unproven guys at RB. If enough of them step up them we could probably win ten games and be back in a NY6 bowl next year.

Agree

Still SMDH about that first interception. Not bad recovery considering we spotted them 7.

Excited about our DBs. Hope to get duck back and improved. Most of These guys showed a lot of potential some need work.

Still SMDH about that first interception. Not bad recovery considering we spotted them 7.
That was a head-scratcher. Sam sorta gave'em 7 there. He has to mature some, too.

Longo's FGs were costly... and I knew they would be. Oh well.

I am not saying I totally agree with their decision but no one on this board knows what went on in the locker room and football facilities between them and their teammates so as the mantra goes next man up and for the most part those guys stepped up tonight and we had a chance to win!! Besides the playoff teams Texas A&M was the one team that I really didn’t want to face in a bowl but after what we went thru in 2017 and 2018 I will gladly take an Orange Bowl invite and look forward to 2021 season which is hopefully back to normal
Absolutely-- next man up. But, I have no respect or appreciation for players who abandon the school, the team and the coaches... and, the fans. It's a privilege to play in a bowl game!

Reactions: gd15nc
See there ya go being positive lol. Just messing with ya. Excited for next year but a lot to improve on too.
And, I left out that we would be playing the #5 team that could have been in the CFP... it's unbelievable how far the team has come in two years.

Absolutely-- next man up. But, I have no respect or appreciation for players who abandon the school, the team and the coaches... and, the fans. It's a privilege to play in a bowl game!

Last question about this and not trying to start anything just asking. So the players who opted out at the start of the season do we kick them off the team? I am not sure how many of them even come back.

Great season player and coaches but make no mistake we lost this game because 4 players quit on their teammates,their coaches,the fans and the football program. I hope you 4 guys are proud of yourselves.

Well said and I knew A&M was going to be tough. Definitely a playoff team. Bright future

Reactions: ohio tarheels
Great season player and coaches but make no mistake we lost this game because 4 players quit on their teammates,their coaches,the fans and the football program. I hope you 4 guys are proud of yourselves.

Oh no not you too lol....carry on.

Last question about this and not trying to start anything just asking. So the players who opted out at the start of the season do we kick them off the team? I am not sure how many of them even come back.
The players who opted-out at the start of the season? I don't know who they are. They abandoned their team. I don't want to remember anyone who abandons their team. I will do my best to erase them from my memory.

The 2 of the 4 who abandoned the team tonight suffered extreme injuries in their high school senior seasons. The University of NC didn't abandon them and tell them they were opting-out of their scholarship offer and tough luck. The University honored their offer and obligation. They even helped to rehabilitate them physically, mentally and academically. Their coaches helped to improve their ability, their teammates helped them to appeal to professional teams, and their fans helped to cheer them on at the worst of times! When the school, coaches, TEAM, and fans needed them the most, they said "No, thanks. I'm not interested, now."

So, I don't know them. I will never say or write their names again- here, or anywhere. I hope that any record they may have set is quickly broken. I have no interest in their professional careers. I see them much like that running back who bailed on Stanford when we played them in 2015, and others like him-- if they get hurt in the NFL, I'm not sorry for them at all. I don't WANT them to get hurt, but I don't want anyone to get hurt. If they do... karma. When they abandon their team, they are thrown into a big pile of all the others who abandon their team. They're no-names who I have no respect for and won't be pulling for them to succeed in the future. I fully understand they have choices to make for themselves. I respect their choice to abandon the team. But, I don't respect them after making that choice. It's killing the value of the sport itself. I love the sport.

You do NOT abandon your teammates when they need you the most... EVER!

Football is a team sport. The school gave you a scholarship and a chance to be coached-up from high school.

Why play against WCU, or any game this season? Why play Miami? Why play in the ACC Championship? You don't get paid for any of the games.

I think that Miami win was a huge part of those guys opting out. At least for Carter and Williams. That was the explanation point on their season. The risk/reward just wasn't there for them after that game. Not saying it was right or wrong. Just that it made their decision easier.

Watts, Miller and I’m thinking one or two more that opted out ended up in the transfer portal. No one of significance opted out, IMO.

I'm proud of the way the team played last night. They played a quality opponent and had a chance to win late, even with several players not available. Mack has this program headed in the right direction.

Triston Miller xfr to ASU.
DJ ford to ECU
Bryce Watts is in the transfer portal.
But I think javon Terry is still on the team (seems like really good special teamed).

Wake's coach's wife lived in another city away from the coach due to coronavirus fear. So I don't blame Terry for being extreme if he had at-risk family or something.

Any key player who bails on the team in a NY6 Bowl game should be scratched from the books in exchange for their 40 pieces of silver.
Let them pay back their tuition for year 2020-2021. They bailed on us, the U should bail on them.

I was not able to post during the game but did watch it. Most say that one play does not decide a game but man that drop by Brown in the 4th was huge.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I was not able to post during the game but did watch it. Most say that one play does not decide a game but man that drop by Brown in the 4th was huge.
And I assume we all know that Dyami would have made that catch for a TD. His choice to opt out from his teammates set his brother up to be the guy whose bad play was the most costly to the team.

Thanks, big brother, for failing your teammates and helping me screw up in your place.

And I assume we all know that Dyami would have made that catch for a TD. His choice to opt out from his teammates set his brother up to be the guy whose bad play was the most costly to the team.

Thanks, big brother, for failing your teammates and helping me screw up in your place.
If I recall correctly Dyami has had some problem with drops over the last couple of years so I wouldn’t be 100% sure he would make that catch!!

Reactions: blazers
Did the sun come up this morning for the guys on the team? Or are we blaming the opt-outers for the world ending?

Just to clarify my stance on the opt outs. I don’t agree with it at all and hate it just as much as anyone else. They could have gotten injured any time during the season whether it be a game, practice, weightlifting, warmups or any other time too. So to all of a sudden skip one of the biggest bowl games of the university’s existence doesn’t make sense and is hard to fathom. I like dazz’s attitude that there was no way he was skipping the orange bowl. We all know it’s not like we do this very often. I mean what if it’s another 50+ years before we make it to a NY6 bowl. What I have been trying to say is that these kids are taught at a young age that they are almost entitled to certain things and owed something. It’s a “me me or entitlement “attitude primarily driven by parents who hope to ride that young man’s coattails to financial security and I guess you can’t blame some of them. Most of these kids seem to come from less than wealthy families so they see sports as their way to financial freedom. I can say that because for the longest time it was my goal in life to become rich from playing a kids game forever. I can say that I would never have skipped out on my teammates though. Although I understand it I don’t agree with it. I really hate it for the guys and coaches that stuck it out and played and are now probably saying a big “what if” because at full strength we win convincingly IMO. I also know we can’t play the “what if game” forever either and hopefully we can solve this problem. No moral victories either. Still sucks to have lost even with the great game by our guys. Last point I say about this is this university and coaches helped these guys to get to this position they are in right now so it would’ve been nice to show them your gratitude and finish what was started. From helping some comeback from injuries, learn a new position or to develop into a pro prospect after all it would’ve been nice for one more game. Best of luck to all of them.

Excuse me if I have misspelled any words or have bad grammar or sentence structure I tried to type this fast. So give me a break grammar police lol.

Reactions: tarheel0910
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT