ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Could Use Some Good Vibes

RobJones__

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 9, 2010
Lexington, KY
Long post:

Here we are again, friends. As many of you know, 2 years ago I was training to come back and use my remaining college eligibility and join the UNC team at the ripe old age of 37. That plan was sidetracked on October 27th, 2021 when (while hooping), I ruptured my left achilles tendon.

After what seemed like an eternity of recovery then a very slow rehab process, I was as good as new. Although my achilles was healed sooner, I finally got past the mental block to get back in the regular game I attended pre-injury in February (just 2 months ago and 16 months removed from my injury).

After several slow weeks trying to get my game back and playing absolutely awful, tonight I got it back. Playing games to 18, the first game ended with a W and me scoring about 10 of our points, including the game-winning 3. Winners hold court. Second game, repeat of the first one. Only we were down 16-11 and came back to win on another game-winning 3 by yours truly.

We lost game 3 when we should have won. I sit 1 game. Next game back in I’m still cooking. God it felt great to be back and finally playing like my old self!

Until it happened. With the ball, I got past my defender and a second defender rotated over to help. I hit him with a hezi and pushed off to go to the basket. Except I didn’t go to the basket. I went to the ground. Same pop. Same immediate reaction of looking to see who kicked me. Different leg.

In 2021 it was my left side. This time it’s my right. Still haven’t been officially diagnosed because it just happened tonight and I’ll go back to my Dr. first thing in the morning to confirm. But I know all the signs. Maybe not fully ruptured like last time but definitely some separation. I fear it’s another full rupture.

As such, if my fears are confirmed, it’s likely I’ll officially have to retire from the game and my second comeback attempt to take one of the remaining UNC scholarships for next season will come to an end.

The process last time was pretty rough. Imagining having to go thru it again when I literally felt like my old self tonight for the first time is just brutal.

Anyways, could use some good vibes if you guys could just keep me in mind.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Ned Cota
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News