ADVERTISEMENT

Our First 4 Games

Predict our W-L Record After the First 4 Games

• Total voters

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
This season could be a game-at-a-time kind of season with the pandemic throwing us curves, but I feel increasingly confident we'll get through our first week.

First number is Pomeroy. Number in () is AP (where numbers above 25 reflect their order among "others receiving votes").

UNC is ranked 22 by Pomeroy and 16 by AP.

Nov 25

176 College of Charleston

Nov 30

119 UNLV

Dec 1

34 Stanford (34)
46 Alabama (29)

Dec 2

9 Texas (19)
26 Indiana (30)
56 Providence (34)
81 Davidson

This season could be a game-at-a-time kind of season with the pandemic throwing us curves, but I feel increasingly confident we'll get through our first week.

First number is Pomeroy. Number in () is AP (where numbers above 25 reflect their order among "others receiving votes").

UNC is ranked 22 by Pomeroy and 16 by AP.

Nov 25

176 College of Charleston

Nov 30

119 UNLV

Dec 1

34 Stanford (34)
46 Alabama (29)

Dec 2

9 Texas (19)
26 Indiana (30)
56 Providence (34)
81 Davidson
Not gonna get into any silly predictions, but Stanford is dangerous because of Hasse's familiarity, and bama is dangerous because of Oats' undisciplined style (that resembles Loyola-Marymount back in the day), which will be a challenge defensively with so many younguns playing for us.

Not gonna get into any silly predictions, but Stanford is dangerous because of Hasse's familiarity, and bama is dangerous because of Oats' undisciplined style (that resembles Loyola-Marymount back in the day), which will be a challenge defensively with so many younguns playing for us.
Help me out Gary. What do you mean specifically when you say undisciplined style?

Help me out Gary. What do you mean specifically when you say undisciplined style?
in a nutshell?... if it feels like leather, shoot it.

As we are all too aware. it take our guys a while in the program to learn to consistently close out on 3s from 22, and Oats encourages his guys to let em fly.

3-1.

Can’t see the young Heels running the gauntlet in Asheville. Although, maybe they’ll finally exorcise that Texas demon.

in a nutshell?... if it feels like leather, shoot it.

As we are all too aware. it take our guys a while in the program to learn to consistently close out on 3s from 22, and Oats encourages his guys to let em fly.
Ok. Thanks, makes since. I do know that he tries to run a pretty tight ship. I’ve had the chance to talk with him a couple times last year in the state playoffs. He recruited and won a kid that put us out of the final four.

Ok. Thanks, makes since. I do know that he tries to run a pretty tight ship. I’ve had the chance to talk with him a couple times last year in the state playoffs. He recruited and won a kid that put us out of the final four.
Well..... that program was anything BUT tight under Avery, so I'll just wait and see on that one... ;)

No doubt, but remember it takes more than just a coach, and basketball at roll tide is not on the top of the totem pole.
No doubt about that, but the hoops arms race has picked up and the REC has put some re$ources into it in recent times.

Last edited:
I am sick and tired of the strange inability to beat Texas regardless of who their coach is. It’s even more strange that we’ve had the better team in almost every matchup and still somehow lose. So, I’d like to play them in the Maui and beat them by 15+ for all those inexplicable losses over the years.

In all honesty, do we ever “consistently close out on 3’s”? I love Roy but it’s a flaw that he picked up from Coach Smith. There are numerous cases where shooters just light us up from outside because we help down on defense and can’t recover back to the shooter. I think that, along with not mixing in some zone defense to make teams adjust offensively, are Roy’s biggest flaws. TBS, I think he’s a great coach overall and I’ve given up hope that he will change. It will happen again this season and I’ve just come to accept it.

With the quality depth we have inside and all those fouls to give, we shouldn’t be helping down at all, unless someone is scoring at will every time he touches the ball down low. But I know we will. Again, I’ve just come to accept it.

I think we’ll have to adjust to once again starting a freshman PG. Not sure how well we’ll play in the Maui Tournament, it’s going to be an interesting year. But we should improve greatly over the course of the season, barring injuries or illness.

Can we defend? Can we rebound? Can we protect the ball and get balanced scoring inside as well as outside? The answers to those questions will determine our season. Looking forward to it immensely.

Last edited:
I think it is conceivable to be 4-0. Talent is there. Chemistry will be the issue. but most teams are in the same situation. I would LOVE to put a W on Stanford and Z Williams. He should have been a TH, but I guess I should be glad.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
In all honesty, do we ever “consistently close out on 3’s”? I love Roy but it’s a flaw that he picked up from Coach Smith. There are numerous cases where shooters just light us up from outside because we help down on defense and can’t recover back to the shooter. I think that, along with not mixing in some zone defense to make teams adjust offensively, are Roy’s biggest flaws. TBS, I think he’s a great coach overall and I’ve given up hope that he will change. It will happen again this season and I’ve just come to accept it.

With the quality depth we have inside and all those fouls to give, we shouldn’t be helping down at all, unless someone is scoring at will every time he touches the ball down low. But I know we will. Again, I’ve just come to accept it.

I think we’ll have to adjust to once again starting a freshman PG. Not sure how well we’ll play in the Maui Tournament, it’s going to be an interesting year. But we should improve greatly over the course of the season, barring injuries or illness.

Can we defend? Can we rebound? Can we protect the ball and get balanced scoring inside as well as outside? The answers to those questions will determine our season. Looking forward to it immensely.
Well said Arch. I agree with the closing out. Always been an issue, even with our best of the best teams. Roy is a HOF coach, several chips, and experience, but like all of us, has shortcomings as well. Hopefully, like most years, the good outweighs the bad. I’m sure there are peeps that will disagree and argue and that’s ok. We’d be bored if we all agreed. Lol

Well said Arch. I agree with the closing out. Always been an issue, even with our best of the best teams. Roy is a HOF coach, several chips, and experience, but like all of us, has shortcomings as well. Hopefully, like most years, the good outweighs the bad. I’m sure there are peeps that will disagree and argue and that’s ok. We’d be bored if we all agreed. Lol
Yeah, we all have warts, but Roy’s strengths far outweigh his shortcomings. It’s hard to argue with his record of achievement. And I think Roy will meld a great team out of this group of young men. The requisite talent is there, he just has to get it to mesh.

Yeah - Bama plays one of those styles that our good teams would make pay but our lesser teams would struggle with.

I tend to think that game will be a nice early barometer of how good this team is right now.

Reactions: gary-7
30 years ago...3pt shooting was new and there were a few Great shooters, so it was okay to give up the 3's because the percentages showed that it was a smart play to give up the 3. Now a days, that is what is shot at all levels (right or wrong) so the proficiency is better. The shooting guns that all schools use are setup to shoot thousands of threes an hour, and if the school can afford multiple guns, then it is even more. Most high school teams open early for their varsity teams to "get on the gun" a couple hours before school starts. Kids are shooting 500 shots before school. and more if they are at a basketball only "academy" it is probably MORE. We have got to do better about guarding the 3. I see a team swing it around the 3 pt line and I KNOW that they are gonna get a clean shot. We can do better. :)

ADVERTISEMENT