ADVERTISEMENT

Our Friend - The Creighton Coach - and his verbal boo-boo!

Due to the fact that the coach immediately caught his own mistake and then issued an apology as soon as possible, I think the matter should be handled internally. (I do NOT believe he should lose his job!) I actually applaud his handling of this potentially devastating mistake. I am certain that many will think this a small matter, but it is an appalling lack of sensitivity. He is in essence saying the players are slaves and should willingly remain so. As an outsider, I forgive and respect his apparently sincere apology BUT if I was on the team, I would immediately apply for a transfer! I could not play for someone who shows at best an appalling lack of sensitivity and judgement OR at worst a lack of concern for his players' cultural sensitivity!

I am also sure peeps will rush to try to say this is an overreaction, PC, or Cancel Culture and other meaningless statements intended to protect the ability to spout whatever you think with no consequences. In reality, it is the natural consequence of belittling another person's race or culture and a failure to recognize that these things will no longer be tolerated. Adapt or not, but be aware that words/actions have consequences!

Reactions: TheGLOV and gary-7
Due to the fact that the coach immediately caught his own mistake and then issued an apology as soon as possible, I think the matter should be handled internally. (I do NOT believe he should lose his job!) I actually applaud his handling of this potentially devastating mistake. I am certain that many will think this a small matter, but it is an appalling lack of sensitivity. He is in essence saying the players are slaves and should willingly remain so. As an outsider, I forgive and respect his apparently sincere apology BUT if I was on the team, I would immediately apply for a transfer! I could not play for someone who shows at best an appalling lack of sensitivity and judgement OR at worst a lack of concern for his players' cultural sensitivity!

I am also sure peeps will rush to try to say this is an overreaction, PC, or Cancel Culture and other meaningless statements intended to protect the ability to spout whatever you think with no consequences. In reality, it is the natural consequence of belittling another person's race or culture and a failure to recognize that these things will no longer be tolerated. Adapt or not, but be aware that words/actions have consequences!

lol.. so you think he was saying the players are slaves.

which simply means that you are part of the reason for the huge divide in society today. Of course he didn't mean that those boys are slaves. It's pansies like you that let their feelings get hurt at every opportunity that are taking this country down, step by step. Grow a pair!

which simply means that you are part of the reason for the huge divide in society today. Of course he didn't mean that those boys are slaves. It's pansies like you that let their feelings get hurt at every opportunity that are taking this country down, step by step. Grow a pair!

People these days see/hear a word and flip out. Doesn't matter how the word is used.

con·text

noun
  1. the circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood and assessed.

I have never heard that phrase before. Wonder if he meant "stay on the reservation" which would likely have caused outrage also just from different group. I won't get into the pc/cancel culture discussion but will just say that I enjoy seeing any and all misfortune that happens to Creighton basketball. I still blame that school for UNC not winning a title.

His THUG broke Kendall's wrist and it was no acident

sure did. And they hacked and chopped at Henson’s injured wrist early in the game if I remember correctly. It’s a damn shame too because I feel like that team was a powerhouse and if they’d have been healthy that title game with Kentucky would’ve been epic.

Reactions: TheGLOV

Seriously???

I have never heard that phrase before. Wonder if he meant "stay on the reservation" which would likely have caused outrage also just from different group. I won't get into the pc/cancel culture discussion but will just say that I enjoy seeing any and all misfortune that happens to Creighton basketball. I still blame that school for UNC not winning a title.
Yeah... I've always heard "off the reservation."

In retrospect, think it was a slip of the tongue and he probably meant "reservation" The phrase he used would definitely cause an African American to feel he was being called a slave. I did not ever say that punk arsed coach meant to call his players slaves! I in fact said quite clearly that it was a mistake, but one that has consequences. ("he called his players slaves" is far too simplistic for this incident BTW, since at best he implied it.) If my foot slips off the brake and hits the gas causing me to hit the car in front of me; my mistake had a consequence and I will be at fault. This is similar in that his mistake will be a small thing to some and rather large to others! It is at best insensitive and at worst complete ignorance to attempt to tell someone their feelings aren't valid! One must have the life experiences of another person before they can judge their reactions to stimuli! If you aren't A-A, you might want to take my word for the validity of these feelings and try to understand why Black peeps might see that reference in the way I described! Or not and refuse knowledge just because it doesn't fit your world view or your preferred narrative!

A plantation is a large-scale estate, generally centered on a plantation house, meant for farming that specializes in cash crops. The crops that are grown include cotton, coffee, tea, cocoa, sugar cane, opium, sisal, oil seeds, oil palms, fruits, rubber trees and forest trees.

lol.. so you think he was saying the players are slaves.
Of course not --- and I'm as anti-PC as anyone, but that was just a really dumb and/or tone-deaf thing to say.

Even assuming the coach just made a poor choice of words, that's a pretty strained analogy to even be throwing around casually without bad intent. especially given that it's not even a common one that lends itself to accidental usage.

I suspect he likely meant to say something like "the reservation" (which is far more common and applicable to the point it seems he was trying to make) as opposed to "plantation". Hell, I've casually used "the "off the reservation" analogy before with players --- not meaning anything derogatory at all by it --- but then, what if I'd had players at the time who were American Indian?... then that would've been pretty bad as well, huh?... and I sure as hell hope I would've caught myself.

Point is, yes, we as a nation need to lighten up in general about hypersensitivity, BUT to try and act like that one was ok is just as bad on the other extreme.

A small attempt to be sensitive would pay dividends, burying your head in the sand simply means you get passed by or trampled.

In case this seemingly unrelated questions is serious, I would ask for the part by name. In addition, I would research the concept of "context"
Glad I could help!

Reactions: TheGLOV and gary-7
Of course not --- and I'm as anti-PC as anyone, but that was just a really dumb and/or tone-deaf thing to say.

Even assuming the coach just made a poor choice of words, that's a pretty strained analogy to even be throwing around casually without bad intent. especially given that it's not even a common one that lends itself to accidental usage.

I suspect he likely meant to say something like "the reservation" (which is far more common and applicable to the point it seems he was trying to make) as opposed to "plantation". Hell, I've casually used "the "off the reservation" analogy before with players --- not meaning anything derogatory at all by it --- but then, what if I'd had players at the time who were American Indian?... then that would've been pretty bad as well, huh?... and I sure as hell hope I would've caught myself.

Point is, yes, we as a nation need to lighten up in general about hypersensitivity, BUT to try and act like that one was ok is just as bad on the other extreme.
Plantation or Reservation were identical in the context he used. I don't believe for a second that the man had any remote racial references in mind when he made the statement.

I dislike creightin as much as anyone but shits getting out of hand . The “do gooding” is going way overboard and the control freaks who probably have huge skeletons in their own closets usually are the ones who throw little tantrums about stuff like this than any adult would just let roll off their shoulders.

What he said was dumb but who cares? Are we gonna start locking people up over speech? Wait. Probably shouldn’t ask that based on how the do gooders behave over *gasp* college kids not wearing those ridiculous masks.

It will be an interesting time when all the woke people realize that a large part of what Nike sells is made of cotton.

they will eventually eat their own , then and only then will most of the woke realize the monster they’ve created and it will be too late. This is how it works in every totalitarian type regime through history. These people thinking they are special or will create some type of utopia by policing everyone else are in for a shock if things stay on this path.

self awareness is not a strong suit it seems for thegroups who get offended by all this nonsense. But they are (or should be)very familiar with hypocrisy.

Plantation or Reservation were identical in the context he used. I don't believe for a second that the man had any remote racial references in mind when he made the statement.
I would like to think so, but did you read the rest of what I said? Even without bad intent, just common courtesy and awareness says you gotta check yourself.

I would mind my own business and let those who heard it directly decide if they were offended, and if so, to what degree. People say offensive things everyday so if you look hard enough, you can go through life constantly up in arms about what other say, do or think.

I think his players and those within the program and University probably know better if this coach has a history of this type of thinking and speaking (my guess is he does not). They seem to be the ONLY people who should be involved.

Just my humble opinion.

I would mind my own business and let those who heard it directly decide if they were offended, and if so, to what degree. People say offensive things everyday so if you look hard enough, you can go through life constantly up in arms about what other say, do or think.

I think his players and those within the program and University probably know better if this coach has a history of this type of thinking and speaking (my guess is he does not). They seem to be the ONLY people who should be involved.

Just my humble opinion.

well said.

You can say reservation, but not plantation?
Oh good grief, stop. You know damn well the context and setting matter.

As I admitted above, in retrospect even something commonly used like "off the reservation", that I had zero bad intent with, was probably nonetheless a bad idea --- and it was just happenstance that it didn't hit a nerve with anyone in that particular audience of players and coaches.

But I can tell ya, it would NEVER occur to me to even want to use "plantation" in that context. That woulda been just ham-handed dumb, even back when I was actively coaching. And honestly, that would be a pretty bad lesson even if used around a team of 15 white kids, wouldn't it? --- because trust me, I knew a coach or two who did (and worse).

Oh good grief, stop. You know damn well the context and setting matter.

As I admitted above, in retrospect even something commonly used like "off the reservation", that I had zero bad intent with, was probably nonetheless a bad idea --- and it was just happenstance that it didn't hit a nerve with anyone in that particular audience of players and coaches.

But I can tell ya, it would NEVER occur to me to even want to use "plantation" in that context. That woulda been just ham-handed dumb, even back when I was actively coaching. And honestly, that would be a pretty bad lesson even if used around a team of 15 white kids, wouldn't it? --- because trust me, I knew a coach or two who did (and worse).
Well apparently it occurred to him to say it so what's the big deal?

I would like to think so, but did you read the rest of what I said? Even without bad intent, just common courtesy and awareness says you gotta check yourself.
No doubt. Does the guy have a 100 word vocabulary? There are so many neutral ways to say the same concept / idea, in a few words....buy in to the team concept, buy in to what we are all trying to do here, stay on the same page, trust and believe in the team and our program, trust the process.

I know those are cliches, and the PC language stuff is overblown for sure, but it doesn't seem that hard to think ahead and speak in terms free of race / gender metaphors. Do coaches think the metaphors help the players understand the message better? Because they just don't.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and gary-7
Somebody get a hold of MCA Records and Amazon and whoever else and get this racist crap off the market NOW!

81FO91zX1YL._SL1400_.jpg

• Haha
Then either that speaks to his predilections (I hope not)... or if he just misspoke, I'd be making damn sure everyone involved knew it)... or he's just a numb-nuts.
I don't even see where he misspoke. He used plantation rather than reservation... BIG DEAL! The idea that McDermott believes his players, especially his black players, are akin to slaves is complete nonsense.

It was dumb for him to say, but it's getting blown way out of proportion. We give words too much power today and ignore the context far too often. The younger generation needs to worry more about things that actually make a difference instead of trying to find a way to be offended.

Folks, the world is totally upside down. Everything is now turned absolutely racist because the PC police demand it and everyone seems to fall in line. While we live in a world where Carli B's WAP is praised but yet Dr. Suess is blacklisted. Nakita Kruschev said many years ago that America would one day fall without a shot being fired. I think he might have been right.

Folks, the world is totally upside down. Everything is now turned absolutely racist because the PC police demand it and everyone seems to fall in line. While we live in a world where Carli B's WAP is praised but yet Dr. Suess is blacklisted. Nakita Kruschev said many years ago that America would one day fall without a shot being fired. I think he might have been right.

yeah it’s almost likecounter insurgency from within. Act as if you have some moral high ground and chastise and slowly minimize and flat out censor anything that counters itwhile all the time continuing to support and revel in degeneracy.

hypocrisy is the word of the time.

Then either that speaks to his predilections (I hope not)... or if he just misspoke, I'd be making damn sure everyone involved knew it)... or he's just a numb-nuts.

Suppose he meant to say it because in no way he was suggesting something racist. I think everyone would agree that it would have been a huge problem IF he said "playing like this would have gotten you kicked off the plantation back in the day"

ADVERTISEMENT