Overton Leaning Elsewhere?

andrew jones

Hall of Famer
Staff
Jul 21, 2014
Overton Leaning Elsewhere?

By Justin Rowland
Tar Heel Illustrated Staff Writer

Diondre Overton may have grown up following the UNC basketball program but now that he's a football recruit he seems to be thinking about some different options.

Overton has not ruled UNC out and he wants to make that clear. The Greensboro Page receiver told TarHeelIllustrated.com that this week. But he's also up front about where UNC stands with him at the moment.

"I mean, they're not at the very top (of his list)," Overton admitted. "I wouldn't say that's the school I'm most interested in right now. But I'm still looking into them because it's a great program and I love the whole 'Freak for Life' thing they have with their receivers. I'm sure if I keep visiting my interest could go up."

Overton has been linked often to Clemson and he acknowledged this week that Clemson is "still pretty high" on his list.

UNC could have improved their position with the 6-foot-5, 195-pound receiver had he attended the basketball game against Duke, as well as the junior day, as he had planned. But he did not make that visit.

"I went to Tennessee (on Saturday) instead," Overton said. "I changed it up because of the weather last weekend. Because of the snow I wasn't able to visit (Tennessee) so I just pushed that back. I had to reschedule it so I went there.

"Tennessee was pretty good. I liked the indoor facilities. I liked the stuff they do there after each workout with their nutrition. They said that if I go there then I would have a big upside because they have a lot of senior receivers leaving," he said. "They were very interested in me. They wanted me pretty bad."

Overton said he will attend a Rivals camp and maybe another combine or two. Many colleges are pushing for him to visit.

The last time he visited UNC was for the Tar Heels' junior day prior to the one over the weekend. He said he's been keeping in touch with Chris Kapilovic and Gunter Brewer "every now and then."
This post was edited on 3/12 12:23 PM by Andrew Jones

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News