ADVERTISEMENT

Past coach searches that failed

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
3 of the last 4 make the cut. Butch Davis was the right hire for the time.

Hiring Torbush to replace Mack with no real search was a disaster, one that is still sending waves across the bow of Tar Heel football. NC native, and Moo alum, Jim Donnan had a 10-2 team at Georgia in 1997 and later admitted he was very interested in replacing Mack: 'but it never came together.'

What would have happened if a 10 win SEC coach had come to UNC? Recruiting would have been set for a couple of years at least. Bobby Bowden would have talked even more about UNC as The Sleeping Giant of ACC football that now was ready to wake up and make his job very difficult. But Baddour was happy with Torbush.

Torbush should have been fired in 1999, his 2nd team, after losing to 1AA Furman and finishing with 3 wins. But Baddour liked him and wanted to give him a chance. A 6-5 team in 2000 could not save Torbush from fans who hated the hire from the get-go and were talking about firing Baddour if necessary.

The 2000 job search is most instructive for UNC football fans, because it involves Donnan again. FSU's Mark Richt was probably the hottest OC in the nation, and he clearly was the hottest HC prospect among ACC coordinators. As he knew the ACC inside and out, the UNC job would have been perfect for both parties. We will never be allowed to know officially what happened, but from right then, the word got out that Richt's deep religious faith and his acknowledgment that it would play a role in his being HC got him shelved by Baddour, with the full approval of the administration.

Supposedly a number of guys with NFL time expressed some interest, Pete Carroll among them. But Baddour and Co pressed on to hire alum John Bunting, who spent nearly an entire career in the NFL, with a couple of years as a non-scholarship D3 coach.

Back to Donnan - UGA fired him in 2000 too - after his 4th consecutive bowl win and team ranked on the final Top 20. Why would UGA fire a coach who just delivered 4 consecutive bowl winners that finished ranked? Because UGA boosters recognized that Mark Richt could be a great HC and they did not want a rival to get him.

UNC would not hire Richt, but UGA would fire a coach with 4 consecutive ranked teams to get Richt. And UNC also would not hire that UGA coach.

The stupidity is so bad most editors of novels would say it is too unrealistic for believable fiction.

Bunting should have been fired no later than 2003, his 3rd team, which finished 2-10. Steve Spurrier then was in his 2nd of 2 years with the Redskins, and everybody knew he hated NFL coaching and wanted back in CFB, badly. Spurrier also had let it be known that he thought the UNC job was a good one. Baddour and a group of powerful alums (basketball boosters prominent among them) saved Bunting. In 2005, Spurrier took over SoCar and made that program worth something.

As noted, Butch was the best hire we could have made for the 2007 season. But from the start, Butch was openly opposed by a bunch loyal to Bunting and/or basketball. Art Chansky was among the best known. They would not rest until they did major damage.

And that brings us to the fall of 2011 and the search to replace Interim Withers. By mid-season, 3 names were prominent: Houston HC Kevin Sumlin, Southern Miss HC Larry Fedora, and Auburn OC Gus Malzahn. Reportedly, each of the 3 was very interested.

Malzahn was the first to be cut. I have little doubt that his deep religious faith was the ultimate deciding factor. Malzahn was so ready to be HC that he wanted the Kansas job, replacing Turner Gill, if he could not get the UNC job. Kansas also wanted no part of a Bible reader like Malzahn. So poor Gus took a pay cut to be HC at Arkansas St. Malzahn was Mark Richt Part 2 for UNC. I said then, repeatedly, that Malzahn would be the best HC of that trio. And he is, obviously.

Fedora was not a terrible hire, as were Torbush and Bunting. But he was far from what we needed. if we had hired Malzahn, just as if we had hired Richt, we would be much better off today.

There are major lessons to be learned from that history.

I would love to believe that history will not repeat itself but I’m already prepared for it to happen. Either Fed will somehow win just enough games to save his job, or he will get sacked and replaced by another mediocre hire.
I pray that you are wrong Mark, but I don’t have much faith that we’ll make the right hire because we just hardly ever seem to.

I pray that you are wrong Mark, but I don’t have much faith that we’ll make the right hire because we just hardly ever seem to.
I think this time that we might. I think enough people with power increasingly over the past 10-12 years have been forced to see what football means fiscally that they know it is fiscally self-defeating not to go for the best.

Reactions: Archer2
Me too.

I’ll hope for the best, but be prepared for the usual.
That is the Tar Heel football realism. We've built a long history of getting close and falling back, around failing to make fairly easy good hires while making spectacularly bad hires.

When you think it never can get done, remember this, which would have sounded worse than insane as a prediction made in 1999: in this new century, the Cubs have won a World Series title and the Red Sox have 4 World Series championships.

Oops - I am a Red Sox (and Cubs) fan getting ahead of myself: Sox won it all in 04, 07, and 13.

Last edited:
What would it have been like, in addition to many more wins in football, if we had pursued Gus Malzahn (who took the Arkansas St job after the idiots running our search cut him)? Here is one example

I don't think Malzahn's personal faith eliminated him. But I do think his wife did. If memory serves me correctly, she made some statements at some women's conference that raised some eyebrows and sealed his fate. Lord knows the powers at UNC are way too advanced and politically correct to hire someone that is an unashamed Christian. That being said, they need to worry about who is a good football coach rather than their religious stances.

Reactions: mellowbiscuit
I don't think Malzahn's personal faith eliminated him. But I do think his wife did. If memory serves me correctly, she made some statements at some women's conference that raised some eyebrows and sealed his fate. Lord knows the powers at UNC are way too advanced and politically correct to hire someone that is an unashamed Christian. That being said, they need to worry about who is a good football coach rather than their religious stances.
You are correct. A bunch of idiot UNC fans made a big deal about that video. I tried to explain to no avail.

It was a women'c church conference. The Malzahns had been very close friends with the man running it, who had been their Pastor in northwest Arkansas. They had remained very close since. The wife was doing what the star female usually does at such women's gatherings: be silly to lighten the mood. So she was trying to be funny to a bunch of church women, many of whom had known her for years, all of whom knew well sho she was and who Ronnie Floyd was and the longtime friendship between the two couples.

A Bama fan got the film of the gathering and edited a cut to try to make Malzahn's wife look as bad as possible. Then he sent it around the internet. He later apologized, but it did damage to Malzahn on the the job market, when he wanted his first college HC job.

But I do not think that UNC would have hired Malzahn if the Bama fan had not done his work. To a large number of people in UNC administration, Malzahn is worse than Richt, who at least grew up near Miami. Malzahn is true small town Bible boy. He was born in the Dallas area, but he was raised in AR. And he attended a small, very conservative church school.

Reactions: mellowbiscuit
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT