ADVERTISEMENT

Patrice Rene in the transfer portal - boo

blazers

Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2001
This portal is real killjoy.

Half the fun of college sports is watching player development. All this transfer stuff is giving CFB the hired-gun, one-n-done feel that happens in hoops, imo :(

I understand people looking for PT, and I don't blame Rene at all. He'd start if it wasn't for Grimes / Duck / McMichael being so good. But McMichael was a transfer. Of course i'm happy to have McMichael, but all this transfer stuff just kinda dulls the game (and I feel it just makes elite teams all that more elite since they can cherry-pick at their neediest positions rather than recruit/develop).

Rene seems like a good dude, a good sound-byte in interviews, and he's always been really physical against the run, so he's a potential fan fave in my opinion.

ok, i'm done whining.

This portal is real killjoy.

Half the fun of college sports is watching player development. All this transfer stuff is giving CFB the hired-gun, one-n-done feel that happens in hoops, imo :(

I understand people looking for PT, and I don't blame Rene at all. He'd start if it wasn't for Grimes / Duck / McMichael being so good. But McMichael was a transfer. Of course i'm happy to have McMichael, but all this transfer stuff just kinda dulls the game (and I feel it just makes elite teams all that more elite since they can cherry-pick at their neediest positions rather than recruit/develop).

Rene seems like a good dude, a good sound-byte in interviews, and he's always been really physical against the run, so he's a potential fan fave in my opinion.

ok, i'm done whining.

Meh, the rich aren’t getting richer, IMO. You see a lot of kids leaving bigger programs and going to smaller schools or smaller schools to P5 programs but not the “blue bloods”. Rene wasn’t even expected to be on the roster last year but I wish him luck. Injuries have plagued his career and we’ve got a lot young guns taking over. Duck, Grimes, Kyler, Conley and Holloway coming in next year.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Transfer portal just levels the playing field and gives the kid some power. As long as he doesn't leave before the season is over, then it doesn't bother me.

Reactions: uncboy10
No need to knock the transfer portal. With Mack’s magic touch it could make us a conference title and playoff contender this year. There’s not that many pieces missing and a lot of really important ones already in place.

Reactions: tarheel0910
No need to knock the transfer portal. With Mack’s magic touch it could make us a conference title and playoff contender this year. There’s not that many pieces missing and a lot of really important ones already in place.
And if we're being honest, coaches are using the transfer portal to get those last few pieces by "suggesting" they might be better off somewhere else. I'm not saying that's what happened here, but you'd have to be in denial to think coaches don't push kids to leave so they can upgrade.

The rich get richer where it counts - QB. Justin Fields at OSU, Joe Burrow at LSU...

Yea but those QB’s came from Ohio St and GA. And Hurts came from Bama. This current transfer portal mess isn’t really benefiting the blue bloods but I get what you’re saying with the ones you mentioned.

I agree we aren’t too far behind clemsuck and are closing the gap real quick.

Read where over 1900 players took advantage of the transfer portal in 2018, the first year of its existence. Love it or hate it, this exodus of players is going to become an annual event.

Read where over 1900 players took advantage of the transfer portal in 2018, the first year of its existence. Love it or hate it, this exodus of players is going to become an annual event.
Yep, it's part of the ball game. So is one&done and I just don't enjoy that either as a fan... Dulls the necessity of player dev, and enjoyment of watching players improve.

It's great for the kids, I'm not hating on them. Carl Tucker xferd to bama and is about to get a natty ring.

Other kids get PT rather than ride pine.

And if we're being honest, coaches are using the transfer portal to get those last few pieces by "suggesting" they might be better off somewhere else. I'm not saying that's what happened here, but you'd have to be in denial to think coaches don't push kids to leave so they can upgrade.
It's great for kids who aren't playing enough. It's a marketplace and much easier now for them to shop.

It sounds like Mack does a good job of leveling with kids expectations-wise on how much they're going to play. Probably more like a Dad than some apathetic axeman.

Yep, it's part of the ball game. So is one&done and I just don't enjoy that either as a fan... Dulls the necessity of player dev, and enjoyment of watching players improve.

It's great for the kids, I'm not hating on them. Carl Tucker xferd to bama and is about to get a natty ring.

Other kids get PT rather than ride pine.

Was Tucker injured? I dont see any stats on him.

Played in 7 games and had 91 snaps but no receptions.
I read some stuff about him being used as a blocker a little in some games when their best TE was injured.

You gotta think he would've caught more passes here than there, but he also had a tendency to drop some passes. And rather get starter reps on a losing team than get a natty ring while riding pine, but to each their own.

Yea but those QB’s came from Ohio St and GA. And Hurts came from Bama. This current transfer portal mess isn’t really benefiting the blue bloods but I get what you’re saying with the ones you mentioned.
the rich sometimes get richer, but the overall effect is that talent becomes somewhat more evenly spread out and the rich become a little less rich and the poor a little less poor.

I think that that is the idea. Other than their fans, does anyone really want to see a playoff system of Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, and Notre Dame every year? If the transfer portal helps to disrupt that routine, I'm all for it.

Reactions: Archer2
Chaz has now decided to play in the Senior Bowl? Not a good look.

Maybe he is wearing a super duper Teflon stitched uniform that guarantees to prevent injury of any sort. Maybe he recently fell down the stairs, is concussed and unable to think clearly. Maybe he is not blessed in the common sense department. I just don't know.

Sure, but a good senior game isn't going to cause that jump. More likely a good orange bowl would cause that. Senior bowls could cause a fifth to fourth or sixth to fifth. Chazz is already locked in.

All the scouts agree that a good showing in the Senior Bowl would do more for him than the Orange Bowl, which is why he's doing it. Chazz isn't locked into any round, IMO. He's right in that 2-3 round projection and a good showing could get him locked into that 2nd round.

All the scouts agree that a good showing in the Senior Bowl would do more for him than the Orange Bowl, which is why he's doing it. Chazz isn't locked into any round, IMO. He's right in that 2-3 round projection and a good showing could get him locked into that 2nd round.
Regardless, I hope all our guys get a good shot at their dream.

All the best to Patrice Rene. Always liked him as a player. Hope his year at Rutgers helps him get to the league.

Reactions: blazers
I could see how it would help someone who is projected in the mid to lower rounds. There's no upside for him. It's not like he could all of a sudden become a top 10 pick by having a good game.
Yeah. Fishy.
Makes me wonder if Darrell Moody, and all Mack's connections advised him on both decisions.

Yeah. Fishy.
Makes me wonder if Darrell Moody, and all Mack's connections advised him on both decisions.

Look at the roster for the Senior Bowl. Recruits that opted out of their respective bowl games are playing. Many are predicted to go in the 1st/2nd/3rd rounds.

Look at the roster for the Senior Bowl. Recruits that opted out of their respective bowl games are playing. Many are predicted to go in the 1st/2nd/3rd rounds.
Is the actual game two-hand touch? It really changes the 'injury' argument (which I bought)

ADVERTISEMENT