ADVERTISEMENT

Paul Finebaum

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
says Jimbo is a much better coach than Dabo.

Whether we agree with that assessment is almost beside the point. Do we believe that Finebaum truly believes his assertion? Or is he just fanning the flames of SEC fandom's sense of permanent superiority in all things football?

i give dabo credit for building a championship program, but he stepped into a school and community that always embraced football, even during his lean years. in his first four years at clemson dabo averaged nearly five losses per year in the ACC, which at that time did not have a lot of powerhouse football teams. we'll see what jimbo does at a&m, but finebaum may be right.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-

Whether we agree with that assessment is almost beside the point. Do we believe that Finebaum truly believes his assertion? Or is he just fanning the flames of SEC fandom's sense of permanent superiority in all things football?
Dabo has 2 national championships that isn't so shabby!

This is dumb, it's the same argument people tried to make against Roy for so long. Dabo might not be a brilliant x and o football mind, but he's built the best program in the country and can make claim to being the best recruiting HC in the game right now. The job of the HC is ultimately to win games and championships and he's doing that as well or better than anyone right now, certainly better than Jimbo.

Some people are blinded by their homerism.

Kind of like saying Marquise shouldn’t have played in 2015, despite all evidence?

sure, finebaum's comment showed pro-sec bias, and defenders of dabo on this thread show pro-acc bias. so what? personally, i don't get this acc loyalty. as a carolina fan i have nothing but ill will toward the acc teams standing between us and big time recruits and a conference title. i prefer to have the dynasties in other regions and other conferences that we rarely compete against. the theory that some of dabo's glory will somehow trickle down to us makes no sense to me, sorry.

sure, finebaum's comment showed pro-sec bias, and defenders of dabo on this thread show pro-acc bias. so what? personally, i don't get this acc loyalty. as a carolina fan i have nothing but ill will toward the acc teams standing between us and big time recruits and a conference title. i prefer to have the dynasties in other regions and other conferences that we rarely compete against. the theory that some of dabo's glory will somehow trickle down to us makes no sense to me, sorry.

False equivalence. You don’t have to be pro-ACC to defend Dabo because the evidence clearly suggests he is having more success than Jimbo as a head coach. Whether you want him to have that success or not is irrelevant. It’s still absurd to claim Jimbo is a better coach than Dabo while Dabo is running the most dominant program in college football. Especially since it’s only been a few years since Jimbo ran a historically great program into the ground.

Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, but for me Dabo is above Jimbo. He has 2 national titles to Jimbo's 1 while coaching in the same conference. And Dabo had to beat Saban twice to do it.

Reactions: HeelzLover
Exactly, being pro-ACC is not the same as Finebaum saying dumb crap like that Jimbo>Dabo, which is patently absurd. Dabo has done EVERYTHING there is to do in terms of high-level achievements more often and at greater heights than has Jimbo Fisher. Finebaum is an idiot.

False equivalence. You don’t have to be pro-ACC to defend Dabo because the evidence clearly suggests he is having more success than Jimbo as a head coach. Whether you want him to have that success or not is irrelevant. It’s still absurd to claim Jimbo is a better coach than Dabo while Dabo is running the most dominant program in college football. Especially since it’s only been a few years since Jimbo ran a historically great program into the ground.
Dabo has done what very few of us thought anybody short of resurrected Bear Bryant or Knute Rockne could do: dethrone Nick Saban from totally dominating the sport. Dabo has shown that it can be done, and with decent players (unlike the Urban Meyer type of criminals) who make good role models.

What Mack wants is a UNC program that repeats what Dabo has built: win at the top level with quality young men.

There isn't a better offensive mind in the business IMO. He's not the program builder that Saban or Swinney are, though. It needs to start with a good DC, which is what propelled Swinney into the big time.
I agree but it takes more than a great offensive mind to win it all.

Over the last year Finebaum has taken a turn and it’s not a good one. At times he offers great commentary, but he also says equally as many things you just scratch your head at and think what the F is he talking about? He’s turned into a blowhard.

dabo got a call against a&m or he'd only have one.

Yeah, and if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle. So...an official's call in week 2 or 3 last year is the reason that Dabo's Tigers won the natty? Come on, man! They beat Bama by a zillion for the title...and stomped everyone else along the way.

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
i give dabo credit for building a championship program, but he stepped into a school and community that always embraced football, even during his lean years. in his first four years at clemson dabo averaged nearly five losses per year in the ACC, which at that time did not have a lot of powerhouse football teams. we'll see what jimbo does at a&m, but finebaum may be right.

It's perfectly fine to argue Jimbo vs Dabo, but Dabo did not average nearly 5 conference losses per year his first 4 seasons as Clemson's head coach. His worst conference record was 4-4 in 2010.

Dabo has done what very few of us thought anybody short of resurrected Bear Bryant or Knute Rockne could do: dethrone Nick Saban from totally dominating the sport. Dabo has shown that it can be done, and with decent players (unlike the Urban Meyer type of criminals) who make good role models.

What Mack wants is a UNC program that repeats what Dabo has built: win at the top level with quality young men.

^
this

Finebaum clearly stated he thinks Jimbo is the superior in-game coach. He’s right. Jimbo is probably the best in-game coach in the country right now

Finebaum is also the biggest troll in sports media, and he’s framing the conversation to get the most reaction. Watch/listen to his show, then tune-in when he’s a guest on another show. When he can’t control the narrative, he’s much more docile and subdued. It makes him money when he can dupe people into getting riled up. Don’t feed the bear

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT