ADVERTISEMENT

Per Phil Steele

Yeah, how is UNC over rated? I am not sure they are rated very highly. I know I am expected a down year. Idiot journalists.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I know Mich is supposed to be super inexperienced, they lost a ton from both sides. We lost a ton from O which is our only good side lately. So maybe he's basing things off experience/seniority of the people who are going to be starters. Our QB and OL are very much wild-cards... at least the guys we trot out should be big, mature, seasoned, even if they don't have tons of reps.

Says our win total from vegas is 7.5 he says under
I'd have a hard time disagreeing. This is probably a 6 or 7 win team.

Wins: Cal, ODU, Virginia, WCU
Losses: Louisville, VT, Miami, Moo U
Toss-Ups: dook, GT, Notre Dame, Pitt

Assuming we split the 50/50 games that only gets us to 6 wins. We're going to have to pull a rabbit our of our hat once, maybe twice, to hit the over.

I'd have a hard time disagreeing. This is probably a 6 or 7 win team.

Wins: Cal, ODU, Virginia, WCU
Losses: Louisville, VT, Miami, Moo U
Toss-Ups: dook, GT, Notre Dame, Pitt

Assuming we split the 50/50 games that only gets us to 6 wins. We're going to have to pull a rabbit our of our hat once, maybe twice, to hit the over.

I'm not sure I can throw state into the L category. They're getting a little overhyped imo. Elite DL, very good stable of RBs, and...what else? QB is good but really just a game manager. Overall all depth and talent is average at best. All of their NFL talent is pretty much glooped together at two positions. And Doreen is still their coach.

Many may disagree with the end of last year still stinging, but dook at home is in the W category for me. We are flat out a better, more talented team and should beat them in Chapel Hill.

The under on 7.5 would probably still be the play for a neutral bettor. To me 7-5 (depending on who we beat and who we lose to) is a 'met expectations' season. 8+ wins would be great, but doesn't look likely. A losing record would be really disappointing.

Elite DL, very good stable of RBs, and...what else? QB is good but really just a game manager. Overall all depth and talent is average at best. All of their NFL talent is pretty much glooped together at two positions. And Doreen is still their coach....

We are flat out a better, more talented team and should beat them in Chapel Hill.
All of this describes the Moo U team we lost to at home last season. This year we face them in CF with 99% of our offensive production gone. That's why I have that game listed as an L.

All of this describes the Moo U team we lost to at home last season. This year we face them in CF with 99% of our offensive production gone. That's why I have that game listed as an L.

I mean yeah I get that. It was a weird game. They whooped us, but would you say they were a better team than us last year, or just better that day? They have less questions right now, sure, but if you look up and down the rosters it's not by a very wide margin. And the road team is on a 4 game winning streak in the series. I just don't see them as being that much better than us, but maybe I'm putting too much emphasis on how mediocre they've been under Dorene and not enough on how they look moving forward.

They whooped us, but would you say they were a better team than us last year, or just better that day?
I don't derive any satisfaction from saying one team was better than another on paper. All that matters is what happens when they played each other. There's no doubt they were a bad matchup for us.

With one of the best D lines in the conference, they stymied our running game and kept enough pressure on the QB to limit his effectiveness. Add to that a decent running game (+10 minutes TOP), some opportunistic play-calling (two trick pass plays for 50+ yards each), and some bad breaks (Trubisky fumbling inside our own 30; penalty on the recovered onside kick to start the 2nd half) and it's a miracle we only lost by a touchdown.

November is a long way away but as of today I don't see any reason to be optimistic about this game. That the road team has won the last 4 games has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on this year's game.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I don't derive any satisfaction from saying one team was better than another on paper. All that matters is what happens when they played each other. There's no doubt they were a bad matchup for us.

With one of the best D lines in the conference, they stymied our running game and kept enough pressure on the QB to limit his effectiveness. Add to that a decent running game (+10 minutes TOP), some opportunistic play-calling (two trick pass plays for 50+ yards each), and some bad breaks (Trubisky fumbling inside our own 30; penalty on the recovered onside kick to start the 2nd half) and it's a miracle we only lost by a touchdown.

November is a long way away but as of today I don't see any reason to be optimistic about this game. That the road team has won the last 4 games has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on this year's game.

Fair enough, I agree they're a tough matchup for us. I just don't think they are that much better of a team overall and winning in carter-finley isn't exactly a daunting task.

Reactions: Raising Heel
and it's a miracle we only lost by a touchdown.
That's actually what gives me some hope. As poorly as we played on both sides of the ball and losing by only a touchdown....against a better team it would have been a lot worse. I'm not convinced State is that much better this coming year.

Not sure where he's getting the line on wins, but I'm seeing it at 7, not 7.5. And at that the Under is laying -145. I agree that we most likely won't see 8 or more wins this year, but they really should beat State, that team isn't very good. If Fed wants to get more fans to the games, he can start by beating NCSU and Duke - especially in years he has about the same quality team, or better.

we're going to put more talent on the field than people realize. sure, lots of question marks, but question marks by definition can go either way. looking back at how much talent last year's team had, they definitely under-achieved including the coaches. we're due for a team that overachieves -- i.e. win the coastal, put up a good fight in the championship game, and win our effing bowl game!

Reactions: grillheel
"we're going to put more talent on the field than people realize. sure, lots of question marks"

I think that UNC is definitely going to put a lot of talent on the field. The problem is that it is largely inexperienced talent especially when one factors in the amount of offensive fire power that was lost to the NFL...

Reactions: JimmyinVA
"we're going to put more talent on the field than people realize. sure, lots of question marks"

I think that UNC is definitely going to put a lot of talent on the field. The problem is that it is largely inexperienced talent especially when one factors in the amount of offensive fire power that was lost to the NFL...
And nobody can predict how inexperienced talent will respond.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
we're going to put more talent on the field than people realize. sure, lots of question marks, but question marks by definition can go either way. looking back at how much talent last year's team had, they definitely under-achieved including the coaches. we're due for a team that overachieves -- i.e. win the coastal, put up a good fight in the championship game, and win our effing bowl game!
We did just have a team that overachieved and won the Coastal.... 2015.

Reactions: lerario
We did just have a team that overachieved and won the Coastal.... 2015.
Which is why a lot of y'all are freaking out about our results last season. Our schedule was markedly harder in 2016 than it was in 2015.

A lot of Carolina fans say we "underachieved last season." I don't see it this way to be honest. I see it as we returned back to the norm after overachieving in 2015. If we did underachieve last season, it was by one game, at the most.

Yes, we had a bevy of awesome skill position players on offense. The problem?
  • Our offensive line couldn't protect the QB or open enough holes.
  • One of our two featured tailbacks was running scared/hurt by the 75% mark of the season (No offense intended to Hood at all, it's just how it was. He was damaged goods after the FSU game)
  • Our only take-the-top-off-the-defense threat was out for the season after our Miami game (not a coincidence that we went 3-4 in games last season where he missed at least a half of the game, including finishing 3-3 down the stretch)
  • Our defense, while improved, still couldn't get teams off the field in conjunction with our offense clicking on the other end. One phase would play well while the other phase struggled.
  • And, I won't deny it, the offensive coaches struggled to come up with a Plan B and C to compensate for the loss of Mack, the struggles of the O-Line, and the diminishing returns of Hood
So yeah.

Which is why a lot of y'all are freaking out about our results last season. Our schedule was markedly harder in 2016 than it was in 2015.

A lot of Carolina fans say we "underachieved last season." I don't see it this way to be honest. I see it as we returned back to the norm after overachieving in 2015. If we did underachieve last season, it was by one game, at the most.

• One of our two featured tailbacks was running scared/hurt by the 75% mark of the season (No offense intended to Hood at all, it's just how it was. He was damaged goods after the FSU game)
  • Our only take-the-top-off-the-defense threat was out for the season after our Miami game (not a coincidence that we went 3-4 in games last season where he missed at least a half of the game, including finishing 3-3 down the stretch)
  • Our defense, while improved, still couldn't get teams off the field in conjunction with our offense clicking on the other end. One phase would play well while the other phase struggled.
  • And, I won't deny it, the offensive coaches struggled to come up with a Plan B and C to compensate for the loss of Mack, the struggles of the O-Line, and the diminishing returns of Hood
So yeah.

For most here it's all about who we lost too down the stretch. If we had the same record, losing close games at FSU and Miami but beating state and dook the tenor around here would be a lot different. I think you can say that we overachieved a little bit early in the season, which made the losses at the end of the year more headscratching.

For most here it's all about who we lost too down the stretch. If we had the same record, losing close games at FSU and Miami but beating state and dook the tenor around here would be a lot different. I think you can say that we overachieved a little bit early in the season, which made the losses at the end of the year more headscratching.
Oh trust me, I get it. Losing to your two rivals is always going to restrict fans' ability to think rationally. Even for me, I can only make these salient points now that the season was over. I was apoplectic when we lost to Duke and State. I don't know which one made me angrier, but they both pushed me to the point of breaking shit.

Moreso than it being two rivals, is that Duke and State were hot garbage last year. Duke was 4-8, and other than us, NCSU only beat Cuse on the road (and those two wins were their only ones in the second half of the season.

While the FSU and Miami wins were nice, it would have been easier to stomach losing those two tough road games, and at least taking care of business against what, quality-wise, really should have been a couple doormats at the end of the season.

Moreso than it being two rivals, is that Duke and State were hot garbage last year. Duke was 4-8, and other than us, NCSU only beat Cuse on the road (and those two wins were their only ones in the second half of the season.

While the FSU and Miami wins were nice, it would have been easier to stomach losing those two tough road games, and at least taking care of business against what, quality-wise, really should have been a couple doormats at the end of the season.
Doesn't $5 in 1s and $5 in pennies still count the same?

State wasn't a doormat, they're just super inconsistent. Their kicker missed a total gimme with seconds to go in the clemson game.

They gave FSU a really good game.

They also were head-scratchers vs ecu and some others.

So they were jeckyl & hyde, and unfortunately showed up with their A game vs us.

Reactions: Raising Heel

So yeah.
The OL issues, Hood's injury, and the loss of Hollins aded up to a major blow against our offense in 2016.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT