ADVERTISEMENT

Platek shouldn’t play more than 5 minutes a game

ticket2ride04

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
May 13, 2004
Feel for him. He’s trying, but he’s pretty bad. Check that, really, really bad.

We simply have better players this year. RJ/Caleb/Puff/Walton and eventually Harris should all be playing over him.

Plus, I’d love to see us use Walker at the 3 for a bit with RJ/Caleb at the guards.

A Platek minute this year takes a minute away from a better, younger player who needs it more.

I really can’t wait for Ant Harris to be back..we will need him to be successful! I’m so over Platek and I can’t believe that ppl on here believe that he needs to be playing

Reactions: jeans15
Platek +27
Sharpe +18
Love +15

Everyone else was in single digits.

I'm certainly not saying that +/- is the end all, be all. However, I watched the game, thought he played pretty well all-around and the stats bear that out. He had 4 steals, 3 boards, 2 blocks, an assist and no turnovers in 20 minutes. The shooting is maddening, but give credit where it is due.

The burgeoning Platek Wars are funny. I don't "love" his game or anything, but I find myself defending what he can offer in a strange way. I also don't think he has this cult following, but more of an optimistic contingency that wants to see him thrive because the team desperately needs it.

Anyway, there is a bigger problem in the lineup and it is the junior.

Reactions: tarwhiz and maomi
The +/- is the dumbest most misleading stat in basketball if the person isn’t doing a lot on the court to actually significantly contribute to the +.

Taken to an extreme - you could have a guy in the game for the great GS warriors teams of Durant, klay, Seth, Draymond. Maybe that 5th guy - just along for the ride - when the other team has given up - is in when klay and steph are pouring in 3s. So the guy ends up +25, with 1 or 2 assists and 2-4 points. But him in the game had little to do with the +25

grade AP in fg%, 3pt%, a/to ratio, points per minute, defensive grade. Not saying he’s bad at all these. They are just more realistic and individual accurate measures.

Reactions: dtodd4475
The +/- is the dumbest most misleading stat in basketball if the person isn’t doing a lot on the court to actually significantly contribute to the +.

Taken to an extreme - you could have a guy in the game for the great GS warriors teams of Durant, klay, Seth, Draymond. Maybe that 5th guy - just along for the ride - when the other team has given up - is in when klay and steph are pouring in 3s. So the guy ends up +25, with 1 or 2 assists and 2-4 points. But him in the game had little to do with the +25

grade AP in fg%, 3pt%, a/to ratio, points per minute, defensive grade. Not saying he’s bad at all these. They are just more realistic and individual accurate measures.

I said it wasn't the end all, be all. He still had the highest on the team - by far - and in 20 minutes of playing time.

The main reason I brought it up is because there was an instantaneous thread trashing the kid who had the best number in that statistical category.

We simply have better players this year. RJ/Caleb/Puff/Walton and eventually Harris should all be playing over him.

Plus, I’d love to see us use Walker at the 3 for a bit with RJ/Caleb at the guards.

A Platek minute this year takes a minute away from a better, younger player who needs it more.
I'm not sure Kessler is quick enough to defend ACC fours. I think he'd kill our perimeter defense at the 3. Would be interesting to see though.

Reactions: dtodd4475
Watching the replay is very obvious why Platek was in when the Heels rolled off 17 straight points because of his defense. Love and Davis were both being punished by the more experienced Charleston guards but all of their drives got stopped but one on a great pick play for a backdoor score when Platek came in. Stats are sometime misleading but in this case the plus minus do not lie. I am sure when the coaches grade the game Platek will be close to the top if not on the top as player of the game. It will be interesting to see what Coach Williams has to say about his defensive effort see many here only look at points scored and not the other intangibles...

I said it wasn't the end all, be all. He still had the highest on the team - by far - and in 20 minutes of playing time.

The main reason I brought it up is because there was an instantaneous thread trashing the kid who had the best number in that statistical category.
I'm the first to say that +/- per se isn't the be all and end all --- it depends on context --- and tonight the context SHOULD have been obvious with even a modicum of basketball acumen. Without even seeing the +28 number I could tell you without any doubt the magnitude of AP's impact. Fact is we were a miles better team with him in the game and it was directly related to his overall contribution.

If Platek had simply made the wide open shots, we would all be singing his praises. Still hoping for a monster year from him.

I am hoping also, but I am not one that thinks every UNC recruit goes on to play in the NBA. AP missed wide open shots, and that is the problem. I will cheer for every Tarheel, but I can't be stupid about there abilities either. Love and RJ will have the freshmen moments, and what Platek can do is go into the game and get in the correct position, and play his role (spell the starters here and there).

Platek is that typical son of a coach type kid that just does not have the raw talent athletically to be a big timer for a program like UNC. He is a solid role player for us, no problem with him being in our rotation but from what I see he is a less than 10mins a game guy. Now in this game, depending on so many freshmen and he being by far our most experienced back court player and Ant being out for now, what he brings is valuable experience until the freshmen begin to get it. Coby for example was up and down early on until he hit his confidence groove and then he showed out. Cole last season, even thou he scored a lot on his first game for us he really struggled to play within our offense. Point being, freshmen take a while to learn!

Neither Love or RJ were stellar defensively last night, RJ at times was torched but you have to expect that to happen in his very first game sans exhibitions and scrimmages. So by comparison defensively, Platek knowing where to be and being able to use solid footwork (not to mention how low the bar is set for the kid) was going to look better as a defender.

But for Roy to start RJ and not Platek then you really know what is important and that is that to Roy, RJ puts us in better position to win games and frankly, it is not a close call because if it were anywhere near close then Platek would have started. But bottom line, we need scoring from either our 2 or 3 spots and so far we do not have a returning player from last season in our back court that has proven to be a deadly scoring threat. You ask Roy, you ask RJ and I think both would tell you, not a great game by RJ, I think Roy put it as "RJ didn't do the things in that game that he has shown us in practice" but the kid shot over 50% and ended up with 12pts.

And BTW, Leaky, Puff is looking for PT and he will quickly establish himself as a shooting threat that has to be respected, better get some scoring going on else Puff will and if ya not careful, Puff may PASS ya!

I like the way platek plays defense. Had 4 steals last night.Just don't know why he can't shoot,mechanics look good .
In golf, it’s called having the ”yips”. He loses his confidence in game situations. He supposedly shoots lights out in practice. Can’t remember a UNC guy that had the yips quite so badly. He’s now become hesitant to shoot. The trey he made was on a quick catch and shoot before he had time to think about it.

Bottom line is he and Leaky better step up their games or they will be sitting a lot.

Last edited:
In golf, it’s called having the ”yips”. He loses his confidence in game situations. He supposedly shoots lights out in practice. Can’t remember a UNC guy that had the yips quite so badly. He’s now become hesitant to shoot. The trey he made was on a quick catch and shoot before he had time to think about it.

Bottom line is he and Leaky better step up their games or they will be sitting a lot.
The yips don't last for three years. I don't understand the need to try to build him up to something he's not. If people didn't do that, then there would be no argument here about him. Treat him to his talent level, because that's what he is playing like. There's nothing wrong with that. He seems like a good guy and understands the system, but he is what he is and that's ok.

The numbers I care about are that he & Black combined for 23%fg and 14%3pt In 24min average. No FTs because nobody needs to foul them! I don’t care what else they do. Those numbers will cost us games. We need to give the freshmen as many minutes now as possible to see if we have some consistent fire power. We can’t afford to have them on the court together and have a repeat of our offensive output from last season!

I'm the first to say that +/- per se isn't the be all and end all --- it depends on context --- and tonight the context SHOULD have been obvious with even a modicum of basketball acumen. Without even seeing the +28 number I could tell you without any doubt the magnitude of AP's impact. Fact is we were a miles better team with him in the game and it was directly related to his overall contribution.

He's a weak link. Don't hype him like you have for three years. He is what he is: a role player off the bench that can't handle guarding guys who are far more explosive and athletic than he is. And there's nothing wrong with that.

The yips don't last for three years. I don't understand the need to try to build him up to something he's not. If people didn't do that, then there would be no argument here about him. Treat him to his talent level, because that's what he is playing like. There's nothing wrong with that. He seems like a good guy and understands the system, but he is what he is and that's ok.
I haven’t built him up to be anything. I’m on record saying I thought RJ should start,
that I had doubts that Platek’s shot would all of a sudden start falling. He knows the system and tries his best, but his lack of great athleticism limits what he can do. I also said I thought his biggest contributions would come in practice as he helps the youngsters to learn the system. I stand by all that and don’t consider any of that to be “the need to try to build him up to something he’s not.”

He is what he is, a marginal role player at a top program. That’s plenty good. All of us, perhaps with the exception of @Tarheel75, would love to be in his position. I think coaching may be his destiny.

I haven’t built him up to be anything. I’m on record saying I thought RJ should start,
that I had doubts that Platek’s shot would all of a sudden start falling. He knows the system and tries his best, but his lack of great athleticism limits what he can do. I also said I thought his biggest contributions would come in practice as he helps the youngsters to learn the system. I stand by all that and don’t consider any of that to be “the need to try to build him up to something he’s not.”

He is what he is, a marginal role player at a top program. That’s plenty good. All of us, perhaps with the exception of @Tarheel75, would love to be in his position. I think coaching may be his destiny.
I meant people in the general sense on this board. Not specifically you. I was just addressing the yips comment to you. I should have been clearer about that.

Reactions: Archer2
Platek is not a starter but he can be a valuable player in the early season development of the rookies. He can be a calming influence in the half court at end of games until someone like Puff, Walton, or Harris steps up. He will be the example of what to do for the young guys learning the wing that Roy can point to.

Platek has the ability to shoot the ball but has never developed that game in game out confidence. Good practice shooter. He's had a few game moments and had ample opportunities(good thing for him, he's gonna get many more).

Hoping that both he and Leaky get their minutes in the early season and Puff emerges to be the knockdown shooter from the three position.

Reactions: Archer2
He's a weak link. Don't hype him like you have for three years. He is what he is: a role player off the bench that can't handle guarding guys who are far more explosive and athletic than he is. And there's nothing wrong with that.
...and as if on cue ^ comes the predictable subtraction from the level of basketball discussion.

It takes Many Pieces as there is only one ball and every player cannot have the same Mindset.. What I saw out of Platek in game 1 if we get that every game thats a solid deal.. A team full of guys where everyone is trying to make the Lottery in the NBA always falls short ..At this Point Leaky needs to move his game to the Defensive Stopper Like Manual Approach ..

Platek is not a starter but he can be a valuable player in the early season development of the rookies. He can be a calming influence in the half court at end of games until someone like Puff, Walton, or Harris steps up. He will be the example of what to do for the young guys learning the wing that Roy can point to.

Hoping that both he and Leaky get their minutes in the early season and Puff emerges to be the knockdown shooter from the three position.
I think that’s his role to a tee. That leadership by example will help us to win some games this year through his impact on the young players. The best option at SG on our team is close to returning, fingers crossed. Andrew’s minutes will drop significantly when that happens. I think Kerwin played more SF than SG the first game. It will be interesting to see where he and Puff spend most of their minutes.

Until Ant returns, I really hope Roy will shuffle his subs so as not to have Andrew and Leaky in together.

Reactions: IDUNK4HEELS
ADVERTISEMENT