ADVERTISEMENT

Platek shouldn’t play more than 5 minutes a game

Platek +27
Sharpe +18
Love +15

Everyone else was in single digits.

I'm certainly not saying that +/- is the end all, be all. However, I watched the game, thought he played pretty well all-around and the stats bear that out. He had 4 steals, 3 boards, 2 blocks, an assist and no turnovers in 20 minutes. The shooting is maddening, but give credit where it is due.

The burgeoning Platek Wars are funny. I don't "love" his game or anything, but I find myself defending what he can offer in a strange way. I also don't think he has this cult following, but more of an optimistic contingency that wants to see him thrive because the team desperately needs it.

Anyway, there is a bigger problem in the lineup and it is the junior.
Couldn't agree more. And you nailed it on our greatest concern. What the hell Leaky? Were you hurt?

if he plays D , he will play ... roy dont care how good your offense is ... just like Dean ,, you dont play D your off the court

Of course this scenario happens only after you two convince yourselves Platek should be the starting QB since his arm strength and elusive speed are vastly superior to Howell's.
...and speaking of the aforementioned folks.
Careful --- keep straining that hard for "humor" and you might pop a hernia.

But hey there's people on this board that think he should start.

But hey..., I understand that we each have opinions on who we think should play or not play. However, let me point this fact out..., there is an entire UNC staff that thinks he should start. Why would you not take your arguments to them?

Last edited:
I went back and watched he Gonzaga game against Kansas. They are heads down the best in the country. Then I started quickly thinking what type of team make-up could beat them. One of their best players is Jalen Suggs, and our RJ (call it lucky and only one play) broke his angles in a summer league game last year ( see below).

Our frontline can match-up with Gonzaga. After that, it is all downhill for the Heels in comparison to Gonzaga. Get a #1 seed and we can avoid Gonzaga until the Final Four.

Puff will force Roy to play him 20+minutes a game. If he can sit out there an hit 3-4 bombs a game that will make up for is weaknesses on defense. Walton will force Roy to play him 15-minutes a game. Love will make us forget about Cole Anthony.

Our best starting 5 in February?

Love
RJ
Puff
Brooks
Sharpe (young Moses Malone)

Harris gives you that solid back-up guard you need on all national title teams. Leaky and Platek gives us some solid back-up minutes from veterans off the bench.

Kessler and Bacot solid upfront subs that will wear out opponents.

Reactions: IDUNK4HEELS
Steat I must agree with you that lineup on paper looks great but I worry about two things. Coach Williams said Puff is way behind defensively and what would happen if Davis or Love got injured playing so many minutes. Both of them took some shots and falls on Wednesday.

Reactions: Steat
Steat I must agree with you that lineup on paper looks great but I worry about two things. Coach Williams said Puff is way behind defensively and what would happen if Davis or Love got injured playing so many minutes. Both of them took some shots and falls on Wednesday.
Yep Dunk, that fall by Love was a few inches from being a 6-8 week injury. If he would not have moved his hand quicky to the side upon going to the floor his hand would have been in a cast for next 6-8 weeks. Remember the Kendall Marshall injury? That quick reaction by Love upon hitting the floor reminded me of how major leagues baseball players position their hands when diving for balls in the outfield.

Getting Harris back into the rotation with starter minutes will be critical. Call me nuts, but given the option of Puff offense over his weakness on defense I'm going with his offense. I remember when Cam saved 2-3 games with his offense, hitting 3's at timely moments in games. I can see Puff doing the same. With Sharpe inside as the enforcer the kid is capable of having a few games with double digit block shots. Just scary stuff. It is also bad news for rivals if Sharpe can hit 70+ on free throws. OMG...lol

I don't have a problem with UNC outscoring teams for wins. A 93-87 win is still a win. I'll take several of those on the way to a #1 seed.

Last edited:
Reactions: IDUNK4HEELS
I wouldn’t mind a 3 guard lineup some this year with Love, Davis, and Harris! I feel love and ant could guard some 3’s! Our only sort of weak spot is the 3..with these 3 in I feel we could run run run and all three of them can shoot! And all of them rebound well for their size

[QUOTE="Tarheel75, post: 1382262, member: However, let me point this fact out..., there is an entire UNC staff that thinks he should start. Why would you not take your arguments to them?
[/QUOTE]
If there is an entire staff who thinks AP should start, then we’d see him starting, no? Or what am I missing? Are Roy and company worries about what fans would think and say if AP starts? Is Roy letting fan sentiment drive who starts and who Roy believes is best for the team long term? Because that would surely be a newsworthy first-time-ever cave / acquiesce by Roy.

If it’s just “a coaching staff” which staff are you referring to? How many coaching staffs are there? I count just one. Or are you referring to the JV team staff? The football staff? Girls tennis? It seems Roy’s is the only staff that matters and AP isn’t starting barring some catastrophic injury / illness scenario.

[QUOTE="Tarheel75, post: 1382262, member: However, let me point this fact out..., there is an entire UNC staff that thinks he should start. Why would you not take your arguments to them?
If there is an entire staff who thinks AP should start, then we’d see him starting, no? Or what am I missing? Are Roy and company worries about what fans would think and say if AP starts? Is Roy letting fan sentiment drive who starts and who Roy believes is best for the team long term? Because that would surely be a newsworthy first-time-ever cave / acquiesce by Roy.

If it’s just “a coaching staff” which staff are you referring to? How many coaching staffs are there? I count just one. Or are you referring to the JV team staff? The football staff? Girls tennis? It seems Roy’s is the only staff that matters and AP isn’t starting barring some catastrophic injury / illness scenario.
[/QUOTE]

There is only 1 staff that can be referred to, and that's Roy's staff. That should have been evident, but just for clarification, that's the one.

Point being this: If Roy and his staff deem it necessary to play AP as a starter, or at anytime during a game or at any position, then, any who want to disagree with that decision can certainly discuss it with him via his radio show or by a call to the basketball office. I may be incorrect in thinking that you either read my post wrong or you are simply using sarcasm to what end, I cannot fathom. This forum is for discussion of UNC Men's basketball, so I just do not see how one could be confused about whose staff is being referenced.

Last edited:
Everything I posted about Platek is objectively true and, honestly, should be fairly obvious... at least to anyone not determined to perpetuate their false narrative to denigrate one of our players.

Everything you post about Platek is a symptom of what you want to see in the kid. Not the reality. Nothing to do with denigrating anybody. He's a Heel. I want him to succeed. But there is a limit on what he can do. That's all I'm saying.

Reactions: strummingram
Everything you post about Platek is a symptom of what you want to see in the kid. Not the reality. Nothing to do with denigrating anybody. He's a Heel. I want him to succeed. But there is a limit on what he can do. That's all I'm saying.
Don't project your myopia onto me. I know for whence I speak, and what I posted SHOULD be objectively obvious.
And no... that is NOT all you've been saying.

Don't project your myopia onto me. I know for whence I speak, and what I posted SHOULD be objectively obvious.
And no... that is NOT all you've been saying.

It's only 'obvious' to you because you're a self serving narcissist who thinks coaching in middle/high school makes you somehow an expert on every UNC player that's every come through Chapel Hill.

My only qualm has nothing to do with Andrew. God bless him, he tries his hardest. It's the select people on this board who make him out to be something he's not namely an an ACC starter caliber player, that I take issue with. And I agree with several on here that if he's a starter or playing significant minutes by the end of February/March it means we sucked almost as bad as last year or we had significant injuries.

Reactions: strummingram
It's only 'obvious' to you because you're a self serving narcissist who thinks coaching in middle/high school makes you somehow an expert on every UNC player that's every come through Chapel Hill.

My only qualm has nothing to do with Andrew. God bless him, he tries his hardest. It's the select people on this board who make him out to be something he's not namely an an ACC starter caliber player, that I take issue with. And I agree with several on here that if he's a starter or playing significant minutes by the end of February/March it means we sucked almost as bad as last year or we had significant injuries.
You can take your petty personal attacks and shove them, and believe me, had I never seen a basketball in my life I'd still be better able to assess players and the game more accurately than you.

I’d like Platek better if he came out running and gunning and just got sent back to bench for not hitting shots.

Watching a 6’2” white guy pass up wide open looks from 3 is an embarrassment to our people.

• Haha
Reactions: tarheel0910
You can take your petty personal attacks and shove them, and believe me, had I never seen a basketball in my life I'd still be better able to assess players and the game more accurately than you.

Gary, Gary, Gary, how you forget. In the beginning of our little spat you were the one who threw the first punch for not blindly believing every hot take you preached as gospel. You questioned my loyalty to the team more times than I can count. It’s always the same thing. I disagree and you can’t handle it and therefore throw some insufferable snarky remark to compensate starting the cycle all over again.

You give as good you get. And you’re better off learning to take a differing opinion with grace and acknowledge every now and then you’re assessment on a player isn’t always correct.

I’m ignoring the usual pissing contest that’s going on... instead I went and re-watched the game.

Funny thing is, UNC’s lead was coughed up without Platek on the floor. UNC squandered its lead with the pre-season ACC player of the year and the five star sophomore missing wide open bunnies at the rim... whilst the All hamburger backcourt panicked and lost their defensive focus.

I’m not a Platek apologist, and agree he has limitations, but his all-court play was very good against COC. His leadership was also right on point. And the comeback and eventual lead was built with him on the court.

I agree, his minutes will likely lessen throughout this season, but I’m willing to go out on a limb and say without him, the win against COC would have been a lot tougher to get.

So, in the much mourned absence of Mikeirby, can whomever oversees this board please lock up this ridiculous thread and can we all get on with watching the TEAM.

Again for the second game in a Row He brings at least the Defensive Effort and it seems to be contagious .. And Just Like Leaky did today I could care less if you make the shot, you have to shoot it to stop the Post Double.

Reactions: Heelicious
I was one to criticize Platek and I suggested he should only be playing 5 to 10 min a game...he played great tonight! If he can consistently play around the same level as tonight, he deserves a lot of PT

Reactions: gary-7 and Archer2
ADVERTISEMENT