ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff Expansion - 12 teams

16 teams. First two rounds at higher ranked school's stadium. Get rid of all other bowl games or make the minimum wins 8.

I like an 8 team playoff and doing away with about half of the meaningless bowls. That leaves the winners of the P5 conferences and 3 at large bids. Perfect.

I'm with you. I think you go to 8 first and see how that goes. 12 is just to appease the lower tier non P5 schools that continue to get left out, while being able to toss in a few P5 teams that maybe didn't win their league but are solid 1, 2, and sometimes 3 loss teams.

Reactions: Archer2
12 teams with a BYE for the top 4 would reward the best 4 conference champs while still giving more teams a way to play their way into a championship.

But 8 teams with auto bids for major conference champs effectively adds an extra round to the playoffs anyways.

Hopefully the extra revenue generated by additional playoff games would mean doing away with at least one third of the thirty odd bowl games. Still like an eight team playoff.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Can someone explain why they’d want less bowls? To me, more college football is always better. If San Diego Community college and Nevada Tech want to fight it out in the root beer float bowl then I am here for it.

Reactions: uncfootball-
Can someone explain why they’d want less bowls? To me, more college football is always better. If San Diego Community college and Nevada Tech want to fight it out in the root beer float bowl then I am here for it.
Because they are meaningless and reward mediocrity. Almost all of them are the CBI of college football. A 6-6 bowl game birth helps bad coaches keep their job.

It would be the A&W Root Beer or Hires Root Beer Bowl, if we're going to be accurate. Never forget the "amateur" part of amateur athletics!

Because they are meaningless and reward mediocrity. Almost all of them are the CBI of college football. A 6-6 bowl game birth helps bad coaches keep their job.
Well done! 6-6 teams going to bowls is pathetic!

When said earlier: "Whatever motivates the players to want to play in their team's bowl games", I meant it.

Lawrence Taylor was NEVER even THINKING of quitting on his team and missing a bowl game. The whole damned thing is screwed when kids are making decisions like that.

Reactions: tarheel0910

I agree. I really enjoy the Bowl season and try to watch them all. Often I have to have 2 TV's going to catch some of them.

Because they are meaningless and reward mediocrity. Almost all of them are the CBI of college football.

A356jiI.gif

North Carolina players not in favor of proposed 12-team College Football Playoff, says coach Mack Brown​

North Carolina linebacker Jeremiah Gemmel told ESPN that nobody on the team raised their hand in favor of a 12-team playoff. He said a few players preferred to stay at four, while the majority was split between six and eight teams.

"I feel like 12 teams is too many games in a season for players who want to play long-term football," Gemmel said in a phone interview. "Sixteen, 17 games in a season is a lot of wear and tear on the body, especially for guys who don't come out when they're playing."

North Carolina players not in favor of proposed 12-team College Football Playoff, says coach Mack Brown​

North Carolina linebacker Jeremiah Gemmel told ESPN that nobody on the team raised their hand in favor of a 12-team playoff. He said a few players preferred to stay at four, while the majority was split between six and eight teams.

"I feel like 12 teams is too many games in a season for players who want to play long-term football," Gemmel said in a phone interview. "Sixteen, 17 games in a season is a lot of wear and tear on the body, especially for guys who don't come out when they're playing."
But more games might equal more NIL $...

So now the players should just determine everything? C’mon Mack.
You think the TV networks should decide without player input? And if you read the article it said the ACC commissioner asked for the input. I guess Mack should have ignored him.

You think the TV networks should decide without player input? And if you read the article it said the ACC commissioner asked for the input. I guess Mack should have ignored him.
No, I don’t think the players should have input. I understand the Commissioner asked for it though. Mack gave his players’ input and it was not followed. So don’t bellyache about it. More and more players are going to opt out of postseason games anyway.

No, I don’t think the players should have input. I understand the Commissioner asked for it though. Mack gave his players’ input and it was not followed. So don’t bellyache about it. More and more players are going to opt out of postseason games anyway.
They're not opting out. They're quitting.

So they shouldn't have any input, but they also shouldn't opt out. Gotcha

Interesting that you would rather ESPN decide instead of the people who actually play the games. 16 games or whatever it would be takes a toll on your body. Plus some good points were made in the article. I understand you are always anti player though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT