ADVERTISEMENT

Population change map since 2010

blazers

Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2001
percent-change-by-county.jpg

Last edited:
Anything surprising in that? Florida growth surprised me.

What's up the N Dakota? A few extra sets of twins born or are people actually moving there?

Last edited:
how do you have "less 0.0% growth" ??

if they did this again from 2019 to today, California would look far different, based on real estate data from Nashville and RDU alone and the people from CA who've moved there.

Anything surprising in that? Florida growth surprised me.

What's up the N Dakota? A few extra sets of twins born or are people actually moving there?
First, you're starting with a low base (denominator) in that it is one of the lowest populated states. Then - the western part of the state isn't even where the one decent-sized city is (Fargo - on eastern edge of the state).

I am pretty sure the population explosion is for people moving in for the Bakken oil fields - the sort of fracking, natural gas and oil boom that made new towns pop up with huge growth, very rapidly.

Last edited:
Reactions: blazers
how do you have "less 0.0% growth" ??

if they did this again from 2019 to today, California would look far different, based on real estate data from Nashville and RDU alone and the people from CA who've moved there.
It must be where there is a net exodus. I think they should have had color ranges for minus %s. I think overall, if you exclude immigration, the population may have gone down in the last decade for the first time ever.

Would be interesting to see what % of people are moving out of Cali and Northeast to places like Texas, Utah, AZ, CO; FL, NC, SC...

It must be where there is a net exodus.
our county shows "less than 0.0%" and i can tell you without a doubt that we've grown since 2010. i know the census isnt a perfect science, but it's off badly for our county.

It must be where there is a net exodus. I think they should have had color ranges for minus %s. I think overall, if you exclude immigration, the population may have gone down in the last decade for the first time ever.

Would be interesting to see what % of people are moving out of Cali and Northeast to places like Texas, Utah, AZ, CO; FL, NC, SC...

Oregon and Washington have been popular destinations too. I know at least 3-4 people from my state that have moved there in the past year alone.

The Northeast didn't lose population and gained a bit, which is par for course. There are several New England states that are quite enjoyable to live in. I suspect that as the extreme weather patterns worsen out West, moving trends might reverse themselves in a 4-5 decades.

The Northeast didn't lose population and gained a bit, which is par for course. There are several New England states that are quite enjoyable to live in. I suspect that as the extreme weather patterns worsen out West, moving trends might reverse themselves in a 4-5 decades.
The weakening of the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation (AMOC) will create insane weather in the NE and drive them all elsewhere:

https://futurism.com/plot-the-day-after-tomorrow-actually-happening

I was surprised to see a net increase for the good parts of New England - figured it was pretty much full already.

It'll be interesting to see this map for 2020-2030... In this one it looks like an influx to the major cities around the country. I think the pandemic has reversed that course abruptly with an exodus out of these same cities into suburban and rural areas.

Reactions: Heelicious
Maybe I'm missing something, but this is just saying population change. That doesn't limit it to where people move to. It would also include people who were born there. Not sure how much help this map could be when trying to determine migration patterns.

I was surprised to see a net increase for the good parts of New England - figured it was pretty much full already.

It'll be interesting to see this map for 2020-2030... In this one it looks like an influx to the major cities around the country. I think the pandemic has reversed that course abruptly with an exodus out of these same cities into suburban and rural areas.
and into the grave, by the gazillions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT