ADVERTISEMENT

Portal Possibilities if Danny Hurley Leaves UCONN

The obvious and likely best option for UConn is to convince either Luke Murray or Kimani Young (or ideally both) to stay in Storrs. Alex Karaban has previously mentioned that he feels like he has three head coaches at UConn with Hurley, Murray, and Young. Promoting internally would help keep the roster intact and allow them to genuinely compete for a third straight title.

However, if Hurley departs for the Lakers, he might take some of his staff with him. It’s uncertain whether Murray or Young would leave a potential head coaching position for the unstable role of an assistant in professional sports. If UConn loses all three of their top coaches to the Lakers, that’ll decimate the program and I’m guessing most players would transfer, regardless of who the new coach is.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I'd bet some players would transfer/decommit if Hurley leaves, even if they retain the assistants.

McNeely has already decommitted once before.

Don't know what others feel but if we could add Tarris Reed we could become the favorite to win it all.

Not sure how any of the would-be UCONN transfers would be able to share enough minutes to keep everyone happy, given the coaches decision to not recruit any other bigs once Lubin committed.

I'm assuming we wouldn't be sniffing around their 1-3's.

Not sure how any of the would-be UCONN transfers would be able to share enough minutes to keep everyone happy, given the coaches decision to not recruit any other bigs once Lubin committed.

I'm assuming we wouldn't be sniffing around their 1-3's.
Reed would have shared minutes with the other 2 bigs at UConn, with us he would share minutes with Jalen, would very likely get more minutes with us than at UConn.

College bball is getting wackier by the day! As soon as I figure we are done, this stuff happens! I still figure we are done, but boy would we really have to take a long look at their Bigs!

It was reported that Hurley turned down 6yrs for $70million to stay at Uconn and put up with this new portal/NIL world of college basketball? Man, how hard can Lebron be to coach? LOL

Hurley is waiting for an East Coast job to open up. His wife wants to stay on the East Coast.
Knicks would be the ultimate landing spot

I don't care what the reason is, the decision is good for college bball! I would have celebrated the removal of an obstacle to potential success for the Tar Heels, but I believe that him staying in college will be ultimately a good thing for the sport! Him returning will force other coaches and their players to raise their levels of effort and will contribute to better play overall!

I subscribe to two relevant mantras:

1. To be the best one must beat the best
2. A high tide raises ALL boats!

Congrats to UConn and Go Tar Heels!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT