ADVERTISEMENT

Probably the biggest problem for UNC against Wisconsin

IDUNK4HEELS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
kernersville nc
On paper it is a toss up game as it should be and the biggest advantage I see favors Wisconsin and that being Big Time Experience in big games. Wisconsin plays at least 7 seniors in their rotation and I feel strongly that no value can be put on experience over just talent.

Just for example Carolina’s last championship team started two seniors and three McDonald All American juniors.

I personally like the fact that Carolina can throw Out 4 big bodies to battle the Big Ten’s physical type of play and I also like how Love, Davis and Walton along with Black and Harris have been shooting better from the outside but the experience factor still is something that must be seriously looked because only Brooks, Platek and Black have had dancing shoes on in March...

Wisky is a very poor rebounding team. Yes, they are Big 10, but banging down low, and crashing the glass should be an area where we can eat as much as we want.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
TBH .. there are times this year, as many years in the past I think Roy thinks he can impose his will through a team .. or line-up that is simply not capable of doing what he thinks they are capable of doing. Just look at how many times both here and in the past we see combinations of players on the floor .. at what seems to be the most inopportune parts or stretches of a game .. and it totally flops. And it may well happen at anytime in this years NCAAT and the clock will strike midnight again .. jmho

TBH .. there are times this year, as many years in the past I think Roy thinks he can impose his will through a team .. or line-up that is simply not capable of doing what he thinks they are capable of doing. Just look at how many times both here and in the past we see combinations of players on the floor .. at what seems to be the most inopportune parts or stretches of a game .. and it totally flops. And it may well happen at anytime in this years NCAAT and the clock will strike midnight again .. jmho
If only he knew how to coach, he’d probably have won a title or two.

To answer the OP, our biggest problem is the same one we’ve had all year, inexperienced guards. The lack of consistency from our guards in general, but the PG position particularly, has been our bane.

We will go as far as our guards take us.

Last edited:
If only he knew how to coach, he’d probably have won a title or two.

To answer the OP, our biggest problem is the same one we’ve had all year, inexperienced guards. The lack of consistency from our guards in general, but the PG position particularly, has been our bane.

The guard situation is why Jay Bilas just picked Wisconsin to beat North Carolina. As Archer2 commented UNC can only go as far as the point guards take them and I completely agree...

UNC will be at a disadvantage in comparing backcourts in every game in the tournament due to the inconsistency. Fortunately the frontcourt can offset that to an extent IF the guards are not turning it over 20 times. It's like some announcer said, UNC's best entry pass is usually a missed shot.

UNC will be at a disadvantage in comparing backcourts in every game in the tournament due to the inconsistency. Fortunately the frontcourt can offset that to an extent IF the guards are not turning it over 20 times. It's like some announcer said, UNC's best entry pass is usually a missed shot.
Unfortunately, there is a lot of truth there. We’re so deficient in shooting and ball integrity that if we weren’t so proficient in rebounding(particularly OR), we’d probably not have won a half dozen games this year.

only Brooks, Platek and Black have had dancing shoes on in March...
However, only Brooks has started NCAAT games (3 in 2019). AP and Leaky have a very small number of minutes between them. This HAS to be the lowest amount of experience we've brought to the dance since Dean's first teams that made it to the tourney?

We've shown some signs of improvement lately, but occasional unfortunate relapses. Caleb and RJ are really gonna have to limit the turnovers, and be smart - no more driving deep into the forest with no plan to get out of it alive.

My wife was watching me fill out my brackets and asked how I choose teams when I'm not very familiar with either team. "I go with experience first and guard play 2nd!", I proudly announced...….

Then I applied that theory to our 1st round match up and.... *gulp*.

Fortunately, I never win these tournament bracket things.

GO HEELS!!

No doubt .. and that's exactly what I was trying to infer. He (Roy) has been trying to (quote G7) "put square pegs in round holes" all season. Roy wants his guards to do things they don't have the mind set to do yet. In the pro's bigs rule the roost but great guard play usually gets you farther in March .. and it aint/hasn't been there this year .. jmho

Reactions: Archer2
No doubt .. and that's exactly what I was trying to infer. He (Roy) has been trying to (quote G7) "put square pegs in round holes" all season. Roy wants his guards to do things they don't have the mind set to do yet. In the pro's bigs rule the roost but great guard play usually gets you farther in March .. and it aint/hasn't been there this year .. jmho
Agreed. Caleb and RJ are both slowly learning lead guard skills. It just takes time, especially when you don’t have summer ball. I’m hoping we can crush the Badgers on the boards and get enough good guard play to at least get a shot at the Bears.

Still say the key is tempo , I’d love to see a full court pressing and trapping , and early in the game. Use depth to our advantage .

Having said that, I fully expect it not to happen. Doesn’t seem like it’s something Roy likes doing and I think it hurts vs teams like this.

Still say the key is tempo , I’d love to see a full court pressing and trapping , and early in the game. Use depth to our advantage .
I’d like to see some of this myself, don’t think it’ll happen either. The slower the pace, the more it favors Whiskey. I don’t think there’s much doubt about that. Their teams’ ability to shoot the trey is worrisome to me.

Reactions: Tribgrywubb68
Interesting the line opened at Wisconsin favored by a point to Heels now favored by 1.5 to 2.5. Maybe the folks in Vegas see something in the Heels.
My guess is in a near coin flip regarding more raw talent and size for UNC vs more experience for Wisconsin - the tipping factor may be Roy having a week to prep and get guys ready for Wisconsin. He’s pretty good at that historically.

If the ref's let Wisc bang down low and be incredibly physical then I think we lose. Va Tech Virginia were allowed to be very physical and we barely escaped Va Tech. If the game is called even halfway correct then I think we win in a runaway with Sharpe and Bacot having big days. What really REALLY scares me is the 3 pt shot. It is the great equalizer and kryptonite for our array of bigs we can throw at people. They have 6 guys that shoot it from long range better that we do. Having just walton answering back is not gonna end well. We have to get some scoring from Leaky and 3's from love, platek, and davis. If not...we go sit on couch with dook.

If the ref's let Wisc bang down low and be incredibly physical then I think we lose. Va Tech Virginia were allowed to be very physical and we barely escaped Va Tech. If the game is called even halfway correct then I think we win in a runaway with Sharpe and Bacot having big days. What really REALLY scares me is the 3 pt shot. It is the great equalizer and kryptonite for our array of bigs we can throw at people. They have 6 guys that shoot it from long range better that we do. Having just walton answering back is not gonna end well. We have to get some scoring from Leaky and 3's from love, platek, and davis. If not...we go sit on couch with dook.
d00k will be sitting on the couch watching us tonight. Never forget that.

On paper it is a toss up game as it should be and the biggest advantage I see favors Wisconsin and that being Big Time Experience in big games. Wisconsin plays at least 7 seniors in their rotation and I feel strongly that no value can be put on experience over just talent.

Just for example Carolina’s last championship team started two seniors and three McDonald All American juniors.

I personally like the fact that Carolina can throw Out 4 big bodies to battle the Big Ten’s physical type of play and I also like how Love, Davis and Walton along with Black and Harris have been shooting better from the outside but the experience factor still is something that must be seriously looked because only Brooks, Platek and Black have had dancing shoes on in March...
The experience factor vs young talent proved without a doubt to be the big difference in the game..

So glad I have this knucklehead on ignore
Is he wrong though? Brooks, Platek, and Black were really bad for the majority of the year! That 2017 class and Black was a lot of the problem this year IMO..no leadership on this team! Plus Brooks and Black pouted and went through the motions half the year..I’ll give Platek some credit! Kid plays super hard

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT