ADVERTISEMENT

Question About NIL and the Portal

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
Let's say we have a kid who does really well at another school and is thinking about transferring but he has good NIL arrangements where he is.

If he enters the portal, might that risk his existing NIL?

If he doesn't enter the portal, can other schools talk to him and can businesses in the other school's vicinity make NIL offers?

How does that work? Could existing NILs reduce the race to the portal?

I ask this because if we lose Armando, Brady and Dawson after this season - which is certainly plausible - we could have a serious need for a big guy. But if the best big guys who are eligible to transfer without sitting out have good NILs where they are, they might be hard to get.

Let's say we have a kid who does really well at another school and is thinking about transferring but he has good NIL arrangements where he is.

If he enters the portal, might that risk his existing NIL?

If he doesn't enter the portal, can other schools talk to him and can businesses in the other school's vicinity make NIL offers?

How does that work? Could existing NILs reduce the race to the portal?

I ask this because if we lose Armando, Brady and Dawson after this season - which is certainly plausible - we could have a serious need for a big guy. But if the best big guys who are eligible to transfer without sitting out have good NILs where they are, they might be hard to get.
Yeah but not really, the majority of the transfers seem to be guys from very lesser programs, yeah, I know, the 3 we got this time were from better known programs but a lot of programs are very happy to have added guys from much lesser programs that count themselves lucky to even get in to the NCAAT.

I think it depends on the nature of the deal, contract specifics, and the company offering it. It would certainly violate the spirit of the rule if the deals tied the athlete to a school, but since they are offered by private companies, they have a say in whether the deal can be pulled. For example, the NIL deal Steat put in another thread would certainly be impacted by a student leaving UNC since it is a "team" signing event! If the student had a deal with Hertz on the other hand, it might well travel with him. I would also assume that UNC could tell the kid they would get equivalent value from a NIL offering in our neck of the woods without violating any rules. There are many things about this new world that will be worked out as they come up I would bet!

I think it depends on the nature of the deal, contract specifics, and the company offering it. It would certainly violate the spirit of the rule if the deals tied the athlete to a school, but since they are offered by private companies, they have a say in whether the deal can be pulled. For example, the NIL deal Steat put in another thread would certainly be impacted by a student leaving UNC since it is a "team" signing event! If the student had a deal with Hertz on the other hand, it might well travel with him. I would also assume that UNC could tell the kid they would get equivalent value from a NIL offering in our neck of the woods without violating any rules. There are many things about this new world that will be worked out as they come up I would bet!
Yeah, doubtful a kid that transfers from Memphis for example would be able to carry with him his Fed-Ex deal so a Fed-Ex deal is a real advantage for Memphis players that very well could keep them there. Yet such a deal seems OK and acceptable under NIL. Ok, so I want Jump Man to come in with a UNC version of this.

Oregon would have a similar attachment with Nike even though we might get one with Jumpman! Gets a little murky the deeper you penetrate this idea!

Interesting in Hubert's interview from media day, he is not enamored of kids that want to come to UNC for NIL money.

Interesting in Hubert's interview from media day, he is not enamored of kids that want to come to UNC for NIL money.
Which is why we have zero 5-star recruits in this class, and may struggle with 5-star recruits in future classes (at least until Hubert is replaced with a coach who is willing to adapt to the NIL era.)

Make no mistake, Carolina basketball's success was built on elite talent. You aren't going to coach here long if you can't bring in elite talent. Hubert needs to hit a homerun in 2023 bc his 2022 class is very underwhelming by UNC standards.

• Sad
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Oregon would have a similar attachment with Nike even though we might get one with Jumpman! Gets a little murky the deeper you penetrate this idea!
I doubt that. Nike is a national brand. If the player is good, then Nike won't have a problem with where they play. You think Nike won't sign a duke player because duke isn't in Oregon? I could see a stipulation for performance, though.
We are pitching recruits on NIL, so he must not have too big of a problem with it. Maybe you meant kids who are only interested in that. I think you're fooling yourself if you think kids haven't been considering brand before this year though. The only difference is they are just starting to get paid for it now.

Just to be clear on a small point:

I did not mean Nike would only sign those who go to Oregon. I meant Oregon is special to them and they might not like it if a kid they already signed left Oregon for another school; especially if that school wasn't affiliated with them already! My point was in response to the idea that leaving a school might impact NIL deals already signed.

I also think it is silly to think UNC is not talking NIL to kids! Only a troll would think that UNC is not happy with Hubs at this point! He will coach as long as he wants and I love our incoming class! Kyrie was elite in college and is an all time great in the pros.....but do you think either puke or the Nets are glad they have/had him??? The stars don't play ball! The player does and I prefer a player with a team first mentality coupled with a relentless motor! I couldn't care less what talking heads say about him if he helps UNC win with class!

Hubert said in his own words yesterday that he was thrilled that can can now be paid for their NIL. His point was that they should not be as concerned with NIL before they have proven anything at the college level. Show your game at the college level and the NIL money will find you.

Hubert said in his own words yesterday that he was thrilled that can can now be paid for their NIL. His point was that they should not be as concerned with NIL before they have proven anything at the college level. Show your game at the college level and the NIL money will find you.

Here are some more comments from Hubert:

“Carolina is not a pitstop university. It's not a pitstop program. I want guys that are fully invested in this program who want to be here, whether they're here one year, two years, three years or four years. I want you to unpack your bag and I want both feet in. And so those are the type of guys that I want. If somebody wants to use North Carolina as a pitstop and use North Carolina for NIL deals, then that's not the guy for Carolina. They’re not going to come here."

Kentucky men's basketball freshman TyTy Washington gets NIL deal with Porsche dealership

www.espn.com
UK freshman signs deal with Porsche dealership
Wildcats point guard TyTy Washington is among the athletes to take advantage of new name, image and likeness rules.
www.espn.com

Basically every top program will get onboard with NIL deals or they’ll get left behind. There is nothing wrong with pitching the program and NIL deals as a package to 5 star kids. I think the key is trying to weed out those that only want the money as a pit stop before the NBA money pours in.

Reactions: CarolinaBlue5
Kentucky men's basketball freshman TyTy Washington gets NIL deal with Porsche dealership

www.espn.com
UK freshman signs deal with Porsche dealership
Wildcats point guard TyTy Washington is among the athletes to take advantage of new name, image and likeness rules.
www.espn.com
Did he get a Porsche? Would that be allowed under the current rules?

Apparently so. The article says he drove up in a Cayanne SUV. Not clear if he owns it or just gets to use it.

Either way, PJ Hairston, eat your heart out.

Reactions: Steat and trollbaby
Each contract is different, but you would assume contracts for college athletes would mainly be for specific markets which would lead you to believe there would be clauses about leaving a certain university for another or turning professional. This should make these kids with nice contracts think twice before transferring.

I think a lot of schools, UNC included, feel the need to take a more cautious approach to NIL because it is still not really clear what is allowed and what isn't. Some programs are treating it as if there are no rules, to the extent the coaching staff is pitching the advantage of NIL at their program.

In truth, it may be smarter to be a bit more aggressive with the NIL because it does not seem as if the NCAA wants to enforce any rule they may have in place for fear of ending up in court. Looks to me like the NCAA now days has basically zero enforcement ability or desire, like all they are looking to do now is collect money for doing basically nothing? Why is Emmert still raking in millions for doing an awful job, anyone gave any explanation for that?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT