ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (FSU game 2)...

Roy "Fastest Coach to win 900" Williams just might still be a good coach, huh? Seems that he is in the Top 5 in every single coaching success metric but idiots think the game passed him by.......is there something stronger than LOL! Anyone who wants Roy gone is either a troll (B. Crane) or a complete moron (too numerous to name)
I'm glad someone besides me noticed that.
Thanks brother👌

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Great win, but I gotta say that Love almost cost us this game with bad play after bad play late in the game. It was comical. He’s an excellent athlete and a hard worker, but he’s not a very good basketball player.

Reactions: Heelicious
From what I've been told Walker is in no hurry. Education is a big priority, as it has been with his family that played before him. He'll be here next year at a minimum, and it wouldn't be a surprise for him to make it 3.

Yes, and I would like to add: Walker's mentality and his presence in his speaking remind me of Eric Montross somewhat. I truly believe that a degree from UNC is his ultimate goal, and if he continues to progress at the normal rate, he will carve out a place in the NBA.

As you have mentioned Gary, his family places a high priority on education and it
shines through when he speaks. It would not be a shock to see him stay all 4 years, or go when he is encouraged to by the staff and family, of course no one, even Walker has enough foresight at this time to make any determination on his future. Whatever that future decision turns out to be, I have every confidence it will be the correct one.

It was nice to see our bigs finally figure out they aren't made of glass and start to go up strong in the second half. I hope they can continue to recognize what an advantage they have with their size. Also, shout out to the students that were there. They did a great job making some noise and I think the players fed off that some.

Bacot has only played 28 total minutes in the last 2 games.

He started the season as our most reliable player, but is seeing the court less lately. What gives?

As someone mentioned, foul trouble. It goes a little further than this with Armando I believe. Ever since he began play at UNC, he has been up and down or hot and cold with his play with not as much consistency as you would expect. He and Garrison both have a tendency to drift in and out of games. Great in some games and MIA in others as is well documented.

I think both allow officiating and game flows to have a detrimental affect with their play. When Armando is invested, he is very good and is a force on both ends, but lets questionable officiating and his reactions to it keep him on the bench more than in a game. He (meaning Armando) has the bad habit of arguing calls with officials and it affects his play, as it does Garrison who, while not arguing with officials, also lets calls affect his play.

The large majority of Big Men have this issue in the first year or so, until they learn to let it go and have the coaching staff plead his case. If he stays another year, and I hope that he will, he will hopefully have learned not to do that and most officials will start giving him the benefit of doubt on some of the calls that have gone against him, as he will be viewed as a veteran by officiating crews and they get preferential treatment most times ( believe it or not). This has been the way of it since forever as I can recall.

Last edited:
This team has definitely tested our patience and damn sure Roy’s this year and again in the 1st half. There was definitely a lot of anger and some expletives from me throughout those first 20 minutes as we saw so many of those same mistakes that have plagued us all year, but that 2nd half and the end result was a lot of fun. Congrats to Coach Williams on win number 900, a day before Coach Smith’s 90th. Happy Birthday Coach Smith!

Over the last few games we've seen bits and pieces of the Walker we saw in high school, but tonight was another notch up and came when the team needed it most. It needs to continue to be said and I’m happy Coach continues to say how tough it was for Walker that combined with not having the usual offseason, he coupled that with having to go through 2 quarantines and not being able to get those early season reps with his teammates for weeks. Jeez, talk about a ton to go through before even playing a single game. I think it’s pretty reflective of who Walker is when hearing Roy talk about how much Walker cares, even with it going to a point where they tell him not to be so hard on himself, that's a kid I would want on my team! Just wait til next year when his confidence in his jumper and 3 ball are back!

Yesterday, I was listening to a Justin Jackson interview from IC and he was talking about how much easier things were defensively off the ball when he knew they had that protection at the rim allowing him to stay home more on his man and not help off so much, that kind of rim protection has been missing for us defensively since Brice and Walker gives our defense just that. Also, for a 7 footer you gotta lot the way he moves his feet defending out on the perimeter.

I also thought Leaky gave us exactly what we needed tonight, ending the night second in rebounds and first in assists. Not a great game for RJ and Caleb, but both did step up to the line and go perfect from the strike, Caleb is one guy that I'm super confident seeing at the line late in games. I was also happy looking at the box scores and seeing that Kerwin took 10 3s tonight, for me I have no problem seeing him take 8 or more 3s a game. I hope he continues to have confidence letting them fly like that big 3 to counter FL St getting it to a 2-point game with 5 min to go. The more attention he keeps getting with teams seeing oh wow, this guy will let it fly on any bit of sunshine, the better it will be for the bigs operating inside.

And it was great to see fans back in the Smith Center to give this team some sense of normalcy, you could see the impact it had on Walker he was smiling and speechless when asked about fans cheering for him, nice to see a kid getting his dream come true. Now no letdown vs Cuse after last years Acc tourny game, I hope they never lose to Boeheim and Cuse again.

As someone mentioned, foul trouble. It goes a little further than this with Armando I believe. Ever since he began play at UNC, he has been up and down or hot and cold with his play with not as much consistency as you would expect. He and Garrison both have a tendency to drift in and out of games. Great in some games and MIA in others as is well documented.

I think both allow officiating and game flows to have a detrimental affect with their play. When Armando is invested, he is very good and is a force on both ends, but lets questionable officiating and his reactions to it keep him on the bench more than in a game. He (meaning Armando) has the bad habit of arguing calls with officials and it affects his play.

The large majority of Big Men have this issue in the first year or so, until they learn to let it go and have the coaching staff plead his case. If he stays another year, and I hope that he will, he will hopefully have learned not to do that and most officials will start giving him the benefit of doubt on some of the calls that have gone against him, as he will be viewed as a veteran by officiating crews and they get preferential treatment most times ( believe it or not). This has been the way of it since forever as I can recall.
Astute and accurate.

Yesterday, I was listening to a Justin Jackson interview from IC and he was talking about how much easier things were defensively off the ball when he knew they had that protection at the rim allowing him to stay home more on his man and not help off so much, that kind of rim protection has been missing for us defensively since Brice and Walker gives our defense just that. Also, for a 7 footer you gotta lot the way he moves his feet defending out on the perimeter.
Great point Frank.
Between Kessler, Sharpe, and Bacon, no team in America should be able to score at the rim against us. And I mean nobody.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Oh look at the baby troll...ain't he cute. Love how Mama Bear was the first to pat his widdle back!

haha what a bunch of effeminate little children. Has this team not been consistently up and down this year? What did I say that was so trollish? Please enlighten me, but leave your tampon out of it this time, thanks.

Ouchy. Looks like our newest troll got his feelings hurt.

how ridiculous. So someone comes here and makes a couple posts that don’t 100 percent align with your opinions and they are a troll?

how do you function on a daily basis with that level of estrogen?

Wildly inconsistent individually all year. Roy has to hope to catch who is locked in, and who is off, and that has varied game to game. Kessler was the man yesterday, but he as the others have had total duds of performances as well, where they hurt the team.

Not a easy thing, but Roy finding that guy in rhythm is going to vary with this group.

how ridiculous. So someone comes here and makes a couple posts that don’t 100 percent align with your opinions and they are a troll?

how do you function on a daily basis with that level of estrogen?
Awww... now he's lashing out, and blowing his own cover in the process. Troll 101.
We're sadly familiar with your sorry ilk here. Take your tired act back to the dook board, or wherever you came from.

Perhaps there is no need to have an "odd man out".

Simple. Kessler wasn't getting anywhere near the minutes earlier in the year. If he consistently plays like he did yesterday, somebody is getting less minutes. It is as simple as that

Reactions: bobcrane14
Simple. Kessler wasn't getting anywhere near the minutes earlier in the year. If he consistently plays like he did yesterday, somebody is getting less minutes. It is as simple as that
Um no, it really isn't. There are 80 Big minutes to be covered in any given game. Giving Walker more then he'd been getting hardly amounts to anyone being "odd man out".

There are only 80 minutes. Brooks is accustomed to 28, Bacot 24, and Sharpe 20. If Kessler earns 20+ minutes, there will be an odd man out

It means that they won't be satisfied with 20 minutes. 3 McDonald's All Americans and the pre-season ACC Player of the Year. Four is an even number, so perhaps not odd man out, but definitely even man out

He and Garrison both have a tendency to drift in and out of games. Great in some games and MIA in others as is well documented.
Sadly, this is true.

With Walker's performance yesterday, we can - AND SHOULD - be able to dominate in the paint. Just need all 4 guys to give us some consistency from one game to the next (or even one half to the next).

He was also bad, totally lost at times. Love his upside, but he is no way a count on it type performer.

Honestly, I am still pissed about that first half (let me issue a trigger warning right now because I am likely to piss off every single one of you with this post), very glad we came back and won for sure. But this team has this habit of digging first half holes and at times being able to come back from them but not always. They just seem unable to come out at the opening tip ready to play or ready to match the intensity of the other team. There are only a 2 or 3 things I can think of that can explain why that is and frankly, none of them are good and none of them are found on winning teams. At half time I posted here that this team does not deserve to be in the post season and considering that first half shiat show, I was not wrong? Please tell me why we can play a second half like we did and be so feckless in a first half (BTW, not by any means the first time we have seen that shiat the bed in the first half bull)

They came back, played a solid second half, why, because that starting line up for that second half reflected guys more willing to work their butts off, I would have started Sharpe as well. Kessler has had good minutes and has struggled at times but for that kid it was and still is all about the fact he needs court time to be able to mentally get in to the game. There is not one single reason, on the heels of this game that Kessler does not start our next game and frankly I would have both he and Sharpe starting, likely from this point thru the rest of this season.

Bacot started this season off battling, it was impressive, he earned his rite to start but that seems to have faded to a degree that I do feel both Kessler and Sharpe have passed him up. But Brooks, from what I see, deserves to be our 4th big man based on effort, based on work. I believe Brooks is a chemistry issue, maybe not as much a locker room problem as Ed Davis was but how he plays does not mix well with the rest of this team. It isn't a lack of ability that irks me, it is his work out put just is not consistently hard this season and it surprises me because it was consistently hard work from him for his first 3 seasons with us. I see very poor leadership from the guy as a senior, those pre-season platitudes did him no favors at all and I think he believed those pre-season hypes to much, those honors were not just going to be given to him post season, they would have always had to be earned and he has not, he hasn't earned ACC 3rd team and at this point I don't think he has earned the rite to even be a starter.

Bacot, while I do see him as solid, has to lose the NBA early entry mindset, this kid is a 4yr guy, he is a cup of coffee in the G-league away from playing in Europe after 4yrs at UNC. Brooks, don't even waste time drinking the G-league coffee, just study a foreign language so you can order dinner as a pro.

Love, really, why is there still any discussion at all of this kid being able to leave after this season and the NBA being a real option? Kid has a huge upside, I think one day he could be a big timer, I would suggest that as a junior he could well be all NCAA but right now he is not a point guard, I do think he can become one but he isn't one right now, nor is RJ. So we are playing without a real pg right now, playing with a starting front court that is being out played by their replacements coming off the bench and a wing that can't shoot? There you have why we are getting in to these big first half holes.

Now you may not like what I have said here but can you deny this FSU game changed when we got guys in the game that worked their tails off? Kessler does need to add some bulk but tell me, did you see a series where that kid was not giving everything he had , rare to see Sharpe not give everything he has. Front court guys that work that hard all the sudden your back court guys look so much better?

Example, now it was a great pass from Leaky, very risky but it was a great pass to Kessler for the finish jam. But guess what the key to that was, it actually wasn't the pass thou it may have been one of the best passes I have ever seen? The KEY was the FACT that Kessler defended and then ran the floor hard, how often have you see that from our starting front court? Darn near every time I have seen Kessler get on the court this season (I can not think of a time I did not see this) what stands out is how hard Kessler works, kid is 7ft and constantly goes to the floor for loose balls, that is impressive! Against FSU, if he was not blocking shots he was altering them, was that true of our starters?

So Roy, it is that time of the season, time for hard choices to be made, the dawgs eat this time of the season and we have to feed the real dawgs not the ones that think they are dawgs or think they deserve to be dawgs but the real dawgs. The dawgs on this team are Kessler and Sharpe for sure, Ant is a dawg but I agree he has to come off the bench, Walton has some dawg in him, Caleb is not solid fundamentally but kid has dawg in him (RJ does as well but he does need to come off the bench). And frankly, Leaky has dawg in him at times, those times do need to be more consistent but he is the best option available for now thou next season I do expect Puff to make a real challenge for that wing spot. Bacot does at times have some dawg but he just does not bring it as consistently as the 2 frosh do.

Now, I think I have pretty much pissed everyone off because I have thrown shade at a great come back win for us, sorry but I am still pissed at that first half because at this time of the year and vs one of if not the best team in the ACC this season, you just do not come out and half ass it for a half, to many games have been played to still see that BS...

Um no, it really isn't. There are 80 Big minutes to be covered in any given game. Giving Walker more then he'd been getting hardly amounts to anyone being "odd man out".

Yep. 80 minutes. You are correct. But previously Kessler had been getting far less than those minutes if divided equally like you seem to think is the magic potion. If he continues to play like he did yesterday, that will change. So somebody will get decidedly less minutes than they were accustomed too

Anyways back to grown up talk. I feel like Kessler could become like Zeller with more range(although zeller was becoming good from 15-17 ft by the time he graduated).

hopefully he brings his A game again tomorrow night as he’s a perfect guy to put in themiddle of that zone.

Yep. 80 minutes. You are correct. But previously Kessler had been getting far less than those minutes if divided equally like you seem to think is the magic potion. If he continues to play like he did yesterday, that will change. So somebody will get decidedly less minutes than they were accustomed too
...which is far from "odd man out". It just means we're deeper.

You seem really insecure . they have pills for that these days. Even fake message board basketball gurus need a little help occasionally. You’ll be ok, kid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT