ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (FSU game 2)...

How in the name of first grade arithmetic would 4 Bigs getting say, 20 minutes each amount to an "odd man out"? Answer: It doesn't. It just means we're deeper.
Against Florida State, the four Big Men combined for only 76 minutes. Brooks played 25 minutes, Kessler 24, Bacot 15 and Sharpe played 12. It's always a zero-sum game regarding minutes. Competition and depth are wonderful. Inevitably, at least one of the four will be disappointed with his playing time

Some really good analysis here but I am in the camp with Dave for the most part. It's now officially March and we are still hoping to see UNC put together back-to- back solid games. No question that Saturday was Carolina's best win of the year but it is both impressive and alarming that UNC gets its best win with one of its worst halves. FSU was uncharacteristically bad from the ft line (while UNC was unbelievably good) and committed to's that an experienced team typically does not.

Survive and advance is coming up. Hopefully UNC gains the confidence from this W that they can play with anybody but it has to be done within a team concept. Carolina does not have THAT guy who the other team has to game plan so he doesn't take over a game but they have several who are capable of taking over games (if that makes sense).

If you go back and look at the questions asked about this team after the first few games (can Caleb run point, will Brooks get it together, can we get consistent outside shooting, etc.) none of them have really been answered. Moving into postseason this UNC team has a very high ceiling but an incredibly low floor. I would not be surprised to see a run to the elite 8 or a first round upset - these Heels have shown they are capable of either one.

Against Florida State, the four Big Men combined for only 76 minutes. Brooks played 25 minutes, Kessler 24, Bacot 15 and Sharpe played 12. It's always a zero-sum game regarding minutes. Competition and depth are wonderful. Inevitably, at least one of the four will be disappointed with his playing time

It appears to me in reading your post that you are making the assumption that one or more of our big men are or will become disappointed with reduced playing time. I would be disappointed in them if this was NOT the case.

When and where is playing time earned and established? In practices or games? It is earned in practice, and if your practice play is carried over into actual games, you earn even more time. This has been a time honored and established procedure in team sports since it's inception. You also incorrectly assume that a player(s) becomes dissatisfied when their minutes are cut or reduced. In making your assumption, you fail to realize that the "team concept" is paramount to theirs and any team's success or failures.

If another player has surpassed you in playing time, there has to be a reason for this. In the case under discussion here, it is evident that Walker has proved himself in practice and has begun proving his worth in minutes given. Playing time will always fluctuate due to the ebbs & flows of games and players. You also make the mistake of assuming that players do not or cannot understand why their playing times are being eaten up by another. They are very much aware of why because they are told by Roy and if they want their playing time back, the incentive here is to PLAY BETTER.

There are plenty of minutes to go around for all 4 and no reason for any of our big men to be unduly upset about their court time as it now stands. In the scope of "team play", as I have mentioned, you do not credit any of our players with enough wisdom to step back for the ones that make our team more competitive and just better.

When recruiting players to come play @UNC Roy follows the guidelines set out by DES. Coach only recruited players that were able to do classwork, were talented, who could fit within a "team concept" and were "team oriented". Given that, it also means that the individual being recruited would also understand that playing time had to be earned and not a minute of it given. Also, it was imperative to treat all players fairly, NOT EQUALLY, but fairly. Our big men are treated fairly, so their disappointment, if any exists at all, is of their own making and they alone have to remedy that.

Suggesting that there will be discord amongst the team due to playing time is suggesting a problem exists where none does and that you are wishing it into existence.

Last edited:
Exactly! There is never an "odd man out" at UNC! All players know when they arrive that nothing is promised; everything is earned; and PT is determined by effective play+ strategic game needs + foul trouble + effectiveness in practice! This is often why we either pass on or miss out on obvious talents! They either don't fit into the Family concept or they refuse to come if they aren't promised the moon! Roy learned at the foot of the master how to build a "team" and continues that practice!

Reactions: Tarheel75
Finally, a really fun half of basketball to watch. Most of my kids yelling on the couch, getting my almost 2 year old yelling Go Heels, and my oldest at the game watching his first game as a Sophomore. I will completely block out the first half except to say that this team will be in every game if they can keep turn overs below double digits.

Kessler had me remembering other great Heels. He had a few poor man's Brice blocks, a couple Hansbrough put backs, and my favorite play of the year, Black to Kessler slam dunk where Kessler ran the floor like Zeller.

This Heels team is like a box of chocolates, but sign me up for a few more square ones with caramel inside.

exactly. I got called a troll for stating as much earlier in the thread but it’s good to see many others who aren’t into just spinning fantasy about the team.

you can be a fan and be objective simultaneously.

Of course you can do both. However, we have to guard against being dogmatic, that's what initiates quarreling amongst the masses here, and creates ill will. While we all have our opinions, I try and make sure to keep my words "soft, & tender" just in case I have to eat them.

ADVERTISEMENT