ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (State game 2)...

Y'all should read David Sisk's answer to a question about Hubert as a coach. He had nothing but positive things to say about the job he's done this year.
Again, I am a fan of this staff. Excellent scouting and game-planning and Xs-and-Os. Most importantly, we've recommitted to the Carolina Basketball they all learned and played.

My critiques focus on instances in which we back-slide. That comes from seat-of-the-pants stuff like coaching not to lose.

Granted, some will tell you that March/April tends to grind down to half-court rock-fights --- and there's some truth to that --- so it's good to know we can function in that circumstance, but... we've seen first-hand how self-inflicting a slower tempo plays into opponents' hands and damn near cost us one just last week.

Look, I don't envy Hubert for having to wrangle last season's dysfunction and having no PG, BUT... now we have an elte PG with a basketball IQ off the charts. He is NOT a situational player. Trust him to drive the Ferrari, as well as the 4-wheeler rock-climber when needed.

There were tons of Dean and Roy naysayers too, especially early on ubtil they retired , but plenty throughout their year to year campaigns, and every other coach for that matter too, hell Izzo is hearing some 😆. Hubert is off to a good start 3 years in. "He ain't goin' nowhere unless he chooses". Plenty of time for plenty of complaints with him...😆

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
TPFK you get offended at pretty anyone questioning the tactics that HD and staff employ. I get it, and even felt the same way at times in his first 2 years but it's year 3 and time to look at all the facts.

#1 The run is his first year was pretty much a miracle, and as much as it hurts to say may never happen again.
Brady Manek, Mando, and Caleb Love is particular went nuclear from the Sweet 16 to the first 20 minutes of the NC game.

#2 He sh-- the bed in season two and nothing you say otherwise will change that. NOTHING at all. That blame lies with him, not CL and not the rest of the team.
Guys like Trez Styles, Dunn, Justin McCoy have proven that they could have helped us make another title run if given more that 3 minutes a game. But instead he ran the same 6 guys in the ground until they couldn't defend at a high level nor make shots late in games.

#3 The thought(excuse) was that it wasn't "his" team and wait until he gets "his" players to play in "his" system. Which I find laughable considering the comments HE himself made before last season.

#4 We are playing much better last season and even a non-basketball person can see it. Notice I said WE are playing better. That happens when the balls goes through the basket. And how do i know that? Because I have also coached at every level(HS/AAU/Small College).

#5 To re-visit #4...Is he coaching better than last season? It sure looked like it early on, but many of us basketball minds are now seeing the same nonsense over the last month that we saw for 90% of the 2022-2023 year.

#6 My final thought..... There's alot of basketball left in the season I pray, but anything less than an Elite 8 with "his" roster and probably the last 6"11 245 monster that commits to a program for 4 years, will be a failure.
POINT, BLANK, PERIOD!!!!!!
I think, that stinks !!! I also think the truth can smell bad at times but be no less right. As cold as it may seem what I see you saying is that Hubert has not got there yet. That maybe Hubert in his 3 seasons as head coach for ANY program isn't yet ready for the NCAA Hall of Fame call up? NOTHING I HAVE SAID concerning Hubert as a coach should not be taken in any way as my calling for his job! I just want to see him grow as a coach and I do see even more growth needed, he has come a LONG way since last season and I* do not want him to slip backward.

Sometimes I do wonder if it would not have been better for Hubert to cut his teeth as a head coach at a smaller program for 3-5yrs before becoming our head coach. A place where he could tinker and in the end really define who he is as a coach and what his constant approach will be but with less pressure that what any UNC head coach has to work thru. Some people are dropped in to the deep end of the pool and learn to swim, others drown. I think Hubert can swim but will he swim? If Hubert will look back at this season and consider it next to his first 2 and ask what was different. His answers to what is different will determine if he swims in the Olympics (danglin them metaphors). LOL

I think, that stinks !!! I also think the truth can smell bad at times but be no less right. As cold as it may seem what I see you saying is that Hubert has not got there yet. That maybe Hubert in his 3 seasons as head coach for ANY program isn't yet ready for the NCAA Hall of Fame call up? NOTHING I HAVE SAID concerning Hubert as a coach should not be taken in any way as my calling for his job! I just want to see him grow as a coach and I do see even more growth needed, he has come a LONG way since last season and I* do not want him to slip backward.
Amen a 1000 times!
No way on God's green earth do I want another coach at this point, well that's unless RW wanted to return and that ain't happening.
HD is our guy, he's my guy, he's all class, he's a great person, he's a great recruiter.

I try not to call my OPINIONS facts since I know the difference. I do get offended, but not about every question of HD's tactics. I will also admit that you fooled me completely for years! I enjoyed your takes until I finally realized you have an agenda and now I read more carefully. Creating entire threads that span multiple seasons just to prove the dubious idea that Hubs should have gotten more out of players who chose to leave pretty much cemented it in my mind so....carry on Bud!

(And because of this tripe, I had to give a positive reaction to SDung; this bothers me more than your premise whatever it was!)

#1 I agree 100%
#2 I disagree slightly because I believe he didn't play them because he required them to work on things noted in practice and they did not. I absolutely hated to lose Caleb but it was great for all parties. He is thriving, RJ is thriving, and UNC is too! The other peeps' supposed success now is based on Health, lower level of comp, and teams where they have unlimited green lights. BUT I hate the Iron 5 idea!
#3 Never said or believed this as an excuse for not winning. I might have said his system would run better once he got his guys though. I believe it is worth losing to turn around culture. UNC needed far more than simply winning games!
#4 If I understand this one, I agree that we are playing better this year than last. But you can't really believe is is simply because we are shooting better. He is coaching better AND we are playing tougher D and the team is playing harder and the team seems to enjoy each other better AND we are shooting better
#5 Nothing about this season looks like last year except the Uniforms! AND everything about this year seems to be working pretty well so....don't fix what ain't broke. (I would stop with the stalling tactic way too early. Maybe 3 minutes at most)
#6 Ridiculous! Taking a team from not playing in the tourney to the Elite 8 seems like a pretty successful turnaround season. Winning the ACC and getting a #1 or #2 seed in the tourney seems successful. God forbid injury, sickness, or bad luck should rear its head and we lose, but I hope with all your experience in coaching you will note it if that is the reason!

Reactions: DSouthr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT