ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (State game)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and that was just a hella-good road win, y'all.

Like I'm sure most of you, I groaned at seeing Cole in a suit yet again, but for some reason I wasn't all that worried --- at least not worried that we'd lose composure and endure one of those ugly halves like a few games ago --- because these guys are learning to play together in our system.

- It again started with defense. With the notable exceptions of Bigs getting caught in no-man's land above the ball on high screen action (and a head-turn here and there), 22 was cooking again, and they were having to make some difficult shots.

- Speaking of defense, Roy woke us up early (and served notice to the wuffies), coming outta the Under-16 with 42, 32 and 42 again, producing successive TOs and having State's Guards looking over their shoulders wondering where the double was coming from. :D

- On offense the game-plan was as sound as it was obvious --- pound it inside. Double-doubles for our starting Bigs ensued, but it could've been even better if a) Mando was able to finish thru contact better, and b) if a certain zebra (Smith?...who?) understood what an over-the-back foul was or a hack right in front of him. Hell, they were banging on us like pinatas but we still had to give a foul in the last 2 minutes just to get them to 7 team (SMH). I am, however, pleased tonight to see our commitment to make entry passes (something I've harped so much on) continued from the past few games. And even though we got a bit loose with the ball in spurts, inside-out is Carolina basketball.

- And speaking of Carolina basketball, folks, we shot 53+% from the field (despite only making two 3s)! That's what comes from a commitment to be inside-out and getting good looks on good ball movement (and that was despite a couple of possessions of volleyball). That being said I was afraid the FT bug was gonna bite us again. --- 5 straight missses (with one big tip-out) in crunch time. Fortunately we finally made them foul BRob (anyone notice Roy drew up an in-bound wrinkle in Press-O to get it in his hands for the FTs that iced it?).

- Speaking of BRob, man, what a dadgummed warrior that kid is. Someone needs to put him in cryogenic freeze for the next 3 days after the beating he took. My boy was gimpin' around the entire second half (and could barely get up in front of the scorer's table to come into the game the last time). And kudos all around to everyone for a TEAM effort. We made the shots we needed, cleaned the glass enough keep them at bay. And didn't it seem like EVERY shot was important tonight? Once we got a lead I don't remember ever letting them get up on us again by more than a point or two. Pierce's timely rhythm-3, couple of nice pull-ups for Keeling, KJ executing a sweet PnR, Plates with the big end-of-shot-clock awkward-angle jumper (to stop a State run) and that 1-on-4 fast break lay-up, Leaky with some challenged jumpers in the first half, and Brooks time and time again. Yeah, we made the shots we needed...:cool:

- Finally, a couple of areas that still need fixing going forward (even as our team basketball is coming together). First involves spacing. While some TOs come from careless/bad passes, sometimes the real (or at least shared) fault is with the receiver. Think of it as analagous to an NFL QB, i.e.,they don't wait for a WR to be standing all alone to throw the ball, it has to be done on anticipation and trust he'll get to the right spot. Our freelance Passing Game works much like that on the fly, thus it's every potential receiver's responsibility to clear potential deflecting hands as we HAVE to be able to anticipate passes to make the offense work correctly. In other words? Spacing. One thing Keeling (for example) still struggles with is maintaining/acquiring space to make himself available as a receiver. The second issue is "pitching ahead" in transition, Although there has been an emphasis on improving that, we're still missing opportunitues at lay-ups from simply not looking up and scanning BOTH sides of the floor. While some of that does come from Leaky having to play out of position, Cole when he returns also needs to be cognizant of that. Hopefully sitting next to Coach Rob has given him a fresh perspective.

Anyway... how about Ol' Roy now being 31-4 vs State since he's been back home? I mean, that is just absurd. Wow. But hey, gotta love his State-Hate.....;):cool:

Last edited:
And guess who is dancing again:)
#Family

EPVpxqGX4AELX6g

EPVpxqJXsAEDPZD

Oblivious ref crew was the ONLY thing that kept us from beating the woofies by 20+. Well that, and some INCREDIBLY awful passes by way too many Tar Heels.

I was also pissed we missed the front end of 3 straight 1&1 opportunities followed by Keeling missing two more, we are lucky it was lolstate or it would have cost us the game against a better, less lol team.

SUPER happy for the team and for Roy to beat those jerks.

Reactions: Tarheel75
Apparently "Stateless" crossed the decency line again tonight.:mad:
Quote by Andrew Platek:

EPVkxrCWsAAjnEf

Really curious as to what was said. I was working first half and saw we were up so I couldn't watch second half. Damn superstitions. I kept checking score online and hopefully can watch tonight.

The team really "got after it" last night.
I am concerned that we get to the deep end of the shot clock and it seems we are hesitant to take the shot and then, surprise, Garrison has the ball the the 3 pt line, not good. Our guards need to improve in that aspect.

Thanks Gary, nice write up. Did we actually shoot 53% for the game? I was thinking just under 50%, but it doesn't matter, we won.

Gotta a few points I want to share later on. Got some Dr. appointments to get to.

Reactions: Archer2
Gary, spot on about us playing Carolina basketball. I said out loud, to my wife who usually just nods her head and humors me during games, that "we finally look like UNC."

That was my main takeaway. For the first time since probably the Oregon game, we look like a Roy Williams team. We're still missing every bit of our up tempo style but hopefully that's something Roy's been hammering home to Cole for when he's back.

And everyone needs to read Adam's latest. Our State-haters, especially @mikeirbyusa will love it.
https://goheels.com/news/2020/1/27/featured-writers-lucas-parting-gifts.aspx
This may be the best thing I've ever read.

"A boisterous State fan clad head-to-toe in red pom-poms won the promotion. The NC State marketing staff headed to his row, where they would hand out gift cards to everyone in the row.

When they arrived at the appointed row and began handing out gift cards, they soon realized they had a problem: half the row was filled with Carolina fans. A look of resignation passed over their faces; some State fans in the area began booing the situation. Making it even sweeter, it was not just any Carolina fans. Among those wearing blue on that row were Phil Ford, John Kuester, Joe Holladay, Dave Hanners, and Wanda Williams."

Offensively, we have turned the corner and the lights are on. Defensively, we have to stop drives on the right side of the lane much better than we do. But the effort; night and day over the last few weeks. EVERY player is stepping up their game. The wuffie that was guarded by Andrew Platek was an o-fer from the floor. Fun victory. I say Cole plays vs BC on Saturday. Can we get to 10-10 with the schedule we have? We'll see.

Last edited:
And everyone needs to read Adam's latest. Our State-haters, especially @mikeirbyusa will love it.
https://goheels.com/news/2020/1/27/featured-writers-lucas-parting-gifts.aspx
I've said this on the football board more than once, but I may not have said it here. So here goes: I was born and raised in TN. I had no contact with any Moo fans until going to Chapel Hill. I knew what crazy, hopelessly illogical, eternally spiteful, vicious fans were like, because I knew Vols fans by the droves, and I knew Auburn fans and UK basketball fans and Mississippi St fans. Boosters of those schools could be counted on to permanently try to get other SEC schools on probation.

Surely no fan base in the ACC could be that awful.

I knew before graduating that I had been naive, because I'd seen that Moo and Maryland fans both were as awful as most SEC fan bases. But what the Moo crowd has become over the past 20-25 years is something beyond awful. They are freaks. Many of them would be thrilled to nuke the entire ACC as long as the fallout killed UNC.

I would prefer to not play them annually in football or twice annually in basketball. Let them pick a new rival to envy insanely 24/7/365 forever.

I've said this on the football board more than once, but I may not have said it here. So here goes: I was born and raised in TN. I had no contact with any Moo fans until going to Chapel Hill. I knew what crazy, hopelessly illogical, eternally spiteful, vicious fans were like, because I knew Vols fans by the droves, and I knew Auburn fans and UK basketball fans and Mississippi St fans. Boosters of those schools could be counted on to permanently try to get other SEC schools on probation.

Surely no fan base in the ACC could be that awful.

I knew before graduating that I had been naive, because I'd seen that Moo and Maryland fans both were as awful as most SEC fan bases. But what the Moo crowd has become over the past 20-25 years is something beyond awful. They are freaks. Many of them would be thrilled to nuke the entire ACC as long as the fallout killed UNC.

I would prefer to not play them annually in football or twice annually in basketball. Let them pick a new rival to envy insanely 24/7/365 forever.

Pretty spot on. I mean, when State fired Sendek who was a more than successful coach (except against Carolina and dook), because they could stand losing to their bigger brothers, they get what they deserve. Haven't had any consistent success even to the level that Sendek had them all because they couldn't stand being third fiddle in the triangle.

Let me add to WoadBlue's sentiments. I, too, have experienced moo fans at their "best". I won't go into details, but 1 football game at CF back in my college days cured me from ever setting foot there again. To say it was eye opening would be an understatement and only cemented my absolute disdain for everything that has to do with that cesspool. It runs WAY deeper than anything I feel for dook or any other college program out there. Part of it is because I cut my teeth on UNC basketball back in the 70's, when moo was THE hated rival. Dean & Norm Sloan had some knock-down, drag out rumbles back then. Still, I always respected them and even pulled for them in '83. They hit the skids for many years in all sports after that run, but it wasn't until I was in college and dating someone who went to moo that I had my first taste of their "fans" up close and personal. That cured me.

Then came their steady decline from obnoxious to downright vitriolic as we hit some rough spots the last several years (see NCAA issues) and their decline into borderline paranoia over, well, just about every dang thing imaginable.

So, as far as I am concerned, if no team participating in any sport for their college ever won another GAME in anything as long as I draw breath on this planet, I wouldn't shed a single tear. Matter of fact, if they lost every major sporting event by triple digits, were to become the laughing stock of every sport in the free world and had to scrap their entire athletic department out of sheer embarrassment, I wouldn't bat an eye. IMHO, no level of humiliation on any stage during any season of any athletic competition would cause me to change my mind about that crap hole.

Mind you, I would NEVER wish harm on any player, coach or anyone else there. I have kids I have known and loved since they were born who currently go to school there. Friends who went there and family members who did, too. I appreciate their passion for their team and I am glad none of them (so far) have stooped to the level that their worst have. However, that will never change just how much I despise that program and love seeing so many of their fanbase wallow in the misery every time they lose to us or anyone else.

One more thing RE: Platek's comments. I wasn't there, but I did see several tweets last night talking about fans booing B-Rob while he was on the floor and trying to get up, as well as other times. Someone also mentioned some of their fans yelling some pretty disgusting stuff at our players, so I believe what Platek said and I hope he and the rest of the team remember that and use it to teach future Tar Heels how to play against that bunch of knuckle-dragging buffoons.

That and when BRob came back into the game one of the state forwards, holding his left arm close to his body, not extending it, would bump into BRob pretty hard right into his ribs. This happened 3 times with no call.
One of the refs, can't recall his name, was very near that action a couple of times.

Overall, good game and on to the next one Saturday. I am so happy all the guys seem to be getting locked in now. Communicating and hustling. Good passing and strong cuts on offense, loved when AP went right by the bigs for Moo on the long drive for a layup. Funny to, in the locker room AP said he was thinking "dunk" but opted for the layup.

One more thing RE: Platek's comments. I wasn't there, but I did see several tweets last night talking about fans booing B-Rob while he was on the floor and trying to get up, as well as other times. Someone also mentioned some of their fans yelling some pretty disgusting stuff at our players, so I believe what Platek said and I hope he and the rest of the team remember that and use it to teach future Tar Heels how to play against that bunch of knuckle-dragging buffoons.
I have no doubt that Moo students and fans yelled obscenities, probably with violent threats for highlights, at the UNC players. That is who they are.

Though. We only had 10 assists and 13 turnovers. How is that possible? Are some entry passes not counted as assists? I feel like I saw way more than 10.

Though. We only had 10 assists and 13 turnovers. How is that possible? Are some entry passes not counted as assists? I feel like I saw way more than 10.
We blew several, along with some coach's assists (that drew FTs), but fortunately made enough shots on putbacks or off loose balls to make up for it.

Also. Platek driving 1 on 4 for the layup was hilarious. There was a quote from him where he says he thought he could get the dunk. Didn't happen but oh man that would have been sweet.

Garrison turning into one of my favorite players. Came at a time when we were desperate and has worked his but off. Where would we be if he hadn't committed. Ouch.

Also. Platek driving 1 on 4 for the layup was hilarious. There was a quote from him where he says he thought he could get the dunk. Didn't happen but oh man that would have been sweet.

Garrison turning into one of my favorite players. Came at a time when we were desperate and has worked his but off. Where would we be if he hadn't committed. Ouch.
Yeah, I clearly remember some here being less than impressed with Garrison as a recuit and I tried to advise otherwise. He has become a stalwart for us and I'm not surprised.

As for the 1-on-4, I'm sure some folks get tired of the coaching cliches, but it's worth repeating that rule #1 in transition defense is "STOP THE BALL!", and conversely for an offensive player, if nobody's gonna stop ya, keep going. Plates had the savvy and the nuts to take it to the rack.

Good write up Gary. One thing that continues to kill us and as mentioned has literally cost us at least 2 wins is free throws. We missed what 5 free throws in the final few minutes of the game and were lucky that state came up with 3 empty possession in an 8 point game. If they convert some of those open looks we are headed to OT with those goons, a la Va Tech.

I was at the arena last night and can confirm the vitriolic screaming, name calling and degrading and unsportsmanlike conduct of more than a few Wolpfack (misspelling intentional) fans. Most of the vitriol was directed at BRob and Andrew, with a heavy dose being handed out to Brooks. The NCSU fanbase is the most unoriginal, stupidest, & plebeian ( even than Maryland fans) in the ACC.

It's either a conspiracy on Swaffords and the ACC Front office personel part, or we have a pact with the officials that makes it impossible for them to forge ahead or win against us. I'm not being facetious, that fanbase truly believes that.

Just a point or two from the game. We are finally getting the hang of the execution of our set plays and what a relief. Still, I expect some slippage will take place in the really tough contests coming up.

We have stopped for the most part, of playing hot potato with the ball and are looking more confident and relaxed with the basketball. We are playing decent defense, although we really need to close down the middle of the lane to drives that lead to simple layups for the opponents, there have been too many of those every single game we have played this year. It's a simple fix, I hope Roy will employ the fix.

If we can win Saturday, then we may have built up enough confidence to play FSU & dook tough next week. While I do not expect us to win either contest, a close game or win will help the team take the steps forward that will be needed for this team to finish .500 in the league and overall hopefully, but I sincerely have my doubts still.

I was at the arena last night and can confirm the vitriolic screaming, name calling and degrading and unsportsmanlike conduct of more than a few Wolpfack (misspelling intentional) fans. Most of the vitriol was directed at BRob and Andrew, with a heavy dose being handed out to Brooks. The NCSU fanbase is the most unoriginal, stupidest, & plebeian ( even than Maryland fans) in the ACC.

It's either a conspiracy on Swaffords and the ACC Front office personel part, or we have a pact with the officials that makes it impossible for them to forge ahead or win against us. I'm not being facetious, that fanbase truly believes that.

Just a point or two from the game. We are finally getting the hang of the execution of our set plays and what a relief. Still, I expect some slippage will take place in the really tough contests coming up.

We have stopped for the most part, of playing hot potato with the ball and are looking more confident and relaxed with the basketball. We are playing decent defense, although we really need to close down the middle of the lane to drives that lead to simple layups for the opponents, there have been too many of those every single game we have played this year. It's a simple fix, I hope Roy will employ the fix.

If we can win Saturday, then we may have built up enough confidence to play FSU & dook tough next week. While I do not expect us to win either contest, a close game or win will help the team take the steps forward that will be needed for this team to finish .500 in the league and overall hopefully, but I sincerely have my doubts still.

Ah 75, I'm sure you remember first-hand when MD fans were the "elite" of the ACC in being vile scumbags. Was like mixing dookies (minus the Cheer Sheets) with the worst of State hillbillies, marinated with large quantities of alcohol. I know Coach Smith especially detested that bunch. :eek:

Ah 75, I'm sure you remember first-hand when MD fans were the "elite" of the ACC in being vile scumbags. Was like mixing dookies (minus the Cheer Sheets) with the worst of State hillbillies, marinated with large quantities of alcohol. I know Coach Smith especially detested that bunch. :eek:

Oh yeah, I remember it all too well. Norman Sloan was one individual that I can say with full confidence that DES detested. Coach outright called him a dishonest cheater and offered evidence to the ACC office as proof, resulting in State getting hit with sanctions regarding David Thompson, who coach was also recruiting. Coach would not have their driveway paved or dole out cash to their family as was the case with Norm. The sanctions should have been for Thompson's entire career, in my opinion.

Oh yeah, I remember it all too well. Norman Sloan was one individual that I can say with full confidence that DES detested. Coach outright called him a dishonest cheater and offered evidence to the ACC office as proof, resulting in State getting hit with sanctions regarding David Thompson, who coach was also recruiting. Coach would not have their driveway paved or dole out cash to their family as was the case with Norm. The sanctions should have been for Thompson's entire career, in my opinion.
Yep, Ol' Norm paved DT's driveway and I forget what he gave Tommy Burleson. That was a great team for sure, but the recruiting was ill-gotten, to say the least.

You really gotta give it to Garrison and B-Rob, these two have been giving it everything they have and did so once again last night in a big way with Brandon not being denied from getting back out on the floor making three trips to the locker room, but . I’ll always remember the fight that B-Rob showed, and to think people were criticizing him on social media for not playing at VT. And then Garrison playing like a beast once again and especially providing us with the early life we needed after going down 7-0, the big fella scored 10 of our first 12 points. Great to see a kid who put in the time and has grown so much both on and off the floor during his time here.

I really enjoyed hearing Garrison talk about B-Rob in the postgame saying how Brandon has pushed him to push himself even more, great stuff! Well, Garrison you better also believe that how you have played has impacted the rest of the guys on the team in a big way as well.

I know Keeling and Pierce have gotten a lot of flack from us this year, but both of them hit some big-time shots for us to push our lead from 3 to 8 going into the under 12 media timeout. I felt really good for Keeling as he looked under control, got to his spot and knocked it in without hesitation. If we can get that from him from here on out that would be so huge for us.

And I thought another unsung hero of sorts was KJ especially with him being a key factor in the final two minutes before half where we scored 9 points. It started with him pushing the ball well off a State miss and found Garrison in the mid-post and then he kept moving and made a great backdoor cut where Garrison found him for a score. Then, he found Armando twice for "and 1" opportunities, one of which he converted and the other Brooks was able to get the offensive board and score, so KJ had his hand in 7 of 9 points during that final stretch under 2 minutes. He also came in and was solid from the 4:55 mark to about the 2:20 mark at the end of the game when Leaky checked out with his 4th foul.

I know things didn't finish the way we wanted to with them pulling out the W in Blacksburg, but even with the result in that one it can't be overshadowed how this group has started to come together. I also thought Roy getting us to come out of the under 16 with two half court traps as Gary said that led to two steals were a big change of momentum for us. Also, how about state's leading scorer coming into the game, CJ Bryce going 0fer, it was certainly a product of our defense making things difficult on him especially Andrew and Brandon. Speaking of Andrew there is a must listen interview of him on the Carolina Insider pod from today that gives you a little insight into just some of the things that these student athletes go through aside from ups and downs on the court.

It honestly feels so good to get this one as many State fans really did feel this was the one where they’d get us and Roy went in there and once again stole their brownies for the seventh year in a row!

I think at times our fan base has been so upset at the games we have lost that the amazing performances we have been watching from Brooks has been a bit under stated. I know I have come to the point this season where I am looking more at how this team and individual players develop more than expecting wins. And while the last couple games have me very pleased at the level of development (still a long way to go on that front) what 2 guys on that team are doing is remarkable (Brooks and BRob).

Before this season began, there were several that were looking at those 2 guys and projecting huge seasons for them and frankly, I didn't really see that coming for them. I expected better seasons than the prior for them but I didn't see this coming. No way I saw BRob channeling Cam's jump shooting and playing with this kind of heart and grit!

But Garrison Brooks, he isn't just our steady rock in there, kid is really having a fantastic season, one that easy would justify him as AA and I think would be if our record was better than it is. It has been coming on all season but really, the last few games, Brooks is near unstoppable scoring inside the paint, we talking grown arse man, we talking Hansbourgh like stuff. Oh, he is just not the best defender on the team but he is now a very clear go to scorer, emotional leader, now top 100 all time UNC rebounder. Kid was the 5th option as a starter last season and now he is the man and is playing up to that level. Not sure what his final numbers were vs state but at one point he was like 11 for 15 from the field late in that game, very efficient. You could see it in his eyes vs the wuffies, "you can't stop me" and they didn't!

You really gotta give it to Garrison and B-Rob, these two have been giving it everything they have and did so once again last night in a big way with Brandon not being denied from getting back out on the floor making three trips to the locker room, but . I’ll always remember the fight that B-Rob showed, and to think people were criticizing him on social media for not playing at VT. And then Garrison playing like a beast once again and especially providing us with the early life we needed after going down 7-0, the big fella scored 10 of our first 12 points. Great to see a kid who put in the time and has grown so much both on and off the floor during his time here.

I really enjoyed hearing Garrison talk about B-Rob in the postgame saying how Brandon has pushed him to push himself even more, great stuff! Well, Garrison you better also believe that how you have played has impacted the rest of the guys on the team in a big way as well.

I know Keeling and Pierce have gotten a lot of flack from us this year, but both of them hit some big-time shots for us to push our lead from 3 to 8 going into the under 12 media timeout. I felt really good for Keeling as he looked under control, got to his spot and knocked it in without hesitation. If we can get that from him from here on out that would be so huge for us.

And I thought another unsung hero of sorts was KJ especially with him being a key factor in the final two minutes before half where we scored 9 points. It started with him pushing the ball well off a State miss and found Garrison in the mid-post and then he kept moving and made a great backdoor cut where Garrison found him for a score. Then, he found Armando twice for "and 1" opportunities, one of which he converted and the other Brooks was able to get the offensive board and score, so KJ had his hand in 7 of 9 points during that final stretch under 2 minutes. He also came in and was solid from the 4:55 mark to about the 2:20 mark at the end of the game when Leaky checked out with his 4th foul.

I know things didn't finish the way we wanted to with them pulling out the W in Blacksburg, but even with the result in that one it can't be overshadowed how this group has started to come together. I also thought Roy getting us to come out of the under 16 with two half court traps as Gary said that led to two steals were a big change of momentum for us. Also, how about state's leading scorer coming into the game, CJ Bryce going 0fer, it was certainly a product of our defense making things difficult on him especially Andrew and Brandon. Speaking of Andrew there is a must listen interview of him on the Carolina Insider pod from today that gives you a little insight into just some of the things that these student athletes go through aside from ups and downs on the court.

It honestly feels so good to get this one as many State fans really did feel this was the one where they’d get us and Roy went in there and once again stole their brownies for the seventh year in a row!

Interesting note: Platek was the primary defender on CJ Bryce. Although it was Bryce's 2nd game in a row that he had not scored a point. Andrew defended him well.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and gary-7
What David said, yeah, you could see it in Garrison's eyes, "stop me if you can" and they had no answer. That tends to rub off on Mando too.
And also on Platek, as '75 said, kid does not always get to & stay in front of the ball, but dang even then, he can run along side the player and he was disruptive to their guards on a number of shots.

Had a great room mate years ago...he'd wave that little UMd flag when we played. We had fun but he was not a cretin like some NVsu or Merryland fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT