Jeremy Roach--Committed to Duke
Cam 'Ron Fletcher--Committed to Kentucky
Ziaire Williams--Committed to Stanford
Greg Brown --committed to Texas

Last edited:
For completeness

Jeremy Roach-Duke

We can take at least 5:
3 Graduating (Robinson, Keeling, Pierce)
1 One and Done (Anthony)
1 Annual Scholarship (Rush)

Possibly 6 if Bacot leaves after one year or Manley or Francis cant heal

For completeness

Jeremy Roach-Duke

We can take at least 5:
3 Graduating (Robinson, Keeling, Pierce)
1 One and Done (Anthony)
1 Annual Scholarship (Rush)

Possibly 6 if Bacot leaves after one year or Manley or Francis cant heal

For players that have committed elsewhere I prefer to leave them off.

I’m happy to see Roy casting a wide net after being burned by guys in the past - most recently Moore, Green and JRE. The problem with casting a wide net, however, is you fall in love with more players than we can possibly sign. I can’t pick between Ziaire, Springer and Thompson.

Guess you have to let the chips fall as they may.

It is hard to imagine not getting a talented pg with all of the playing time that will be available. My preferred backcourt would be Love and Springer with Ziaire playing on the wing. A four man class of those three plus Sharpe would be a nice blend with the returning players.

Reactions: Heels5150
Is it me or do Banchero and Baldwin look like they were born to be Tar Heels? Hype reels that highlight defense and pinpoint passing impress me more than a million dunks! Both kids seem to play without the need for wolfing and I love how often they point to teammates on plays. I hope we put the full court press on them and turn up the Roy charm to 1000 at the kitchen tables!

Roy planning on being at this event next week. Offered players planning on being there:

2020 Offered
Dawson Garcia
Walker Kessler
Bryce Thompson
Ziaire Williams
Isaiah Todd
Caleb Love

2021 Offered
Paolo Banchero
Patrick Baldwin

Kennedy Chandler 2021 target

I really like how Roy has been more aggressive handing out offers for the 2020 class and making multiple offers at the positions of need. This hopefully will lead some of these offered guys to want to visit sooner rather than later and jump on the offer before someone else takes it at their position.

There is still a lot to come together for us in this class with a point guard and wing being two of our biggest needs, but I really feel like we are well positioned for a nice class filled by any mix of the offers that we have out currently.

I really like how Roy has been more aggressive handing out offers for the 2020 class and making multiple offers at the positions of need. This hopefully will lead some of these offered guys to want to visit sooner rather than later and jump on the offer before someone else takes it at their position.

There is still a lot to come together for us in this class with a point guard and wing being two of our biggest needs, but I really feel like we are well positioned for a nice class filled by any mix of the offers that we have out currently.

Normally, I would by now be able to look at the 2020 class and project area of need but not sure I can with the mix we have. Yeah, we know we are going to lose BRob, Keeling, Pierce and we know we get only the freshman season from Cole. That is 2 shooting guards, our PG, and a kid in BRob that has not started for us but had so far been a back up at the 2 and 3. Bacot could play his way to being a 1&D but that is less certain for now.

There are 2 guys that can flip the dynamic for us, maybe 2 others can join that flip. The first 2 and I think the 2 key guys that can show us more of what the future looks like are Leaky and Jeremiah. If BRob and Pierce can play well enough to hold down our wing spot this coming season, then we could see leaky be Cole's primary back up (have shared I prefer leaky at the wing but Roy does clearly feel Leaky is a NBA PG). Yet Roy continues to offer PGs? WE do not know how far back Frances can get, if all or most of the way back the kid ws on a at least 4 star and many suggest 5 star trajectory before surgerys (keeping in mind we are talking another full year from now of healing for Frances before we have to replace Cole. If he is able to come back fully and we knew that right now then I would suggest PG may not be an area of need with both he and leaky able to handle the position at a very high level. Leaky at the point hinges in my opinion on who we may be able to get to handle the wing, I like Puff for that role. Puff or Ziaire Williams should be able to handle a starting role there if we get one of the 2 and I do think we will. If Leaky has to spend majority of his time at the 3 AND we get neither Puff or Ziaire then a wing become a strong area of need to at least back up Leaky. If we do get 1 of those 2 but Frances just can not get back to his former level then PG becomes strong need. (my point being right now I can't know which scenario plays out).

2 guard should be very solid with Ant and Platek but I really want to see Bryce Thompson fit in there, he is a bit of a Wayne Ellington type sweet shooting guard that could in a pinch play some 3 for us. Ant is more a really good defender, a slasher more than pure jump shooter, Platek is the jump shooter but is a bit limited athletically. So if we pull in a 2 guard, I think it has to be a extremely sweet shooting 2 that has solid length for position and Bryce fills that really well.

I am looking harder at area of need that most don't seem as concerned about, front court. Yes we have Bacot who IMO is likely to see at least a second season and yes we have Sharpe who IMO will be fantastic for us and yes we seniors Brooks and Manley. Brooks is a very solid defender or at least has been vs centers, will he be as effective a defender vs power forwards, I suspect he can be but want to see that play out more. Problem with Brooks is he has not shown us a ton of scoring, especially from mid range, I think he can give us solid production there but again, I need to see it before I can feel great about it. Manley is just injury snake bitten, I just do not feel I can rely on his being able to give us much, wish I could say that differently. I really want another big man, would prefer a center like Kessler (my personal most wanted) or Dickinson or Garcia. We will lose at very least Brooks and Manley after that season, could very well lose Bacot and frankly, don't be shocked of Sharpe becomes 1&D. Would love to get another big man from 2020 just to give us security. Heck, open us some triple tower looks, imagine moving Brooks to the 3, Leaky at the point, with Bryce at the 2 (Bacot and Sharpe at the 4 and 5), crazy long rotation! And the other guy I really want is Greg Brown, fit him in as a bit of a stretch 4 or long 3 and he brings electricity to the line up.

So I have players I want that can IMO allow us to handle any way our so far un-answered questions go. But do the recruits see the PT they want or maybe shy away looking for more PT than they think we can give them, not big on Fletcher for example for just this reason. So, just as I am struggling to see what our real areas of need will be, I suspect that could as well be a problem for recruits like Brown, the 3 big kids, and pgs like Davis and Love. The coming season will shine the clarification I need as well as what i think recruits may see. My wish list for now is Puff, Bryce, Kessler, and Greg Brown. Carpenter, who I think is far and away the best talent in this class would be very high on my list if I felt we had a shot, I don't think we do, I think he plays for his brother at Okey st.

It always amazes me that true post players would choose dook over us. I know this is a common topic but for a program that utilizes their bigs and a program that doesn’t is just baffling.

Reactions: Archer2
Ziaire Transfer article. A high school super team..gonna be interesting.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/high-school/story/2019-07-19/sierra-canyon-ziaire-williams

1d5e7b2903f44c4be76ba2a7327c0d89

Reactions: CJBlue
Why are we acting like high school super teams are new?

Look at the Oak Hills, IMG academy's, etc.

Last year IMG Academy had
Josh Green
Bacot
Jaden Springer
Robinson-Earl
Farrakhan

Reactions: dtodd4475
ABSOULUTLY, all of the Oak Hills, IMG, Mount Verde, LaLamaurie, the list goes on and on. National level training centers for elite young talent.

The parochial schools in urban areas have done it for 50 years. Like DeMatha, Arch Bishop Malloy, St. Anthony's, etc., ALL RECRUIT the cream of the crop. Same deal, just from a major metropolitan area instead of the AAU circuit for their recruiting area to give their sales pitch for the full athletic rides. Kids taking multiple hour train rides to school to play with multiple 4 and 5 stars.

ABSOULUTLY, all of the Oak Hills, IMG, Mount Verde, LaLamaurie, the list goes on and on. National level training centers for elite young talent.

The parochial schools in urban areas have done it for 50 years. Like DeMatha, Arch Bishop Malloy, St. Anthony's, etc., ALL RECRUIT the cream of the crop. Same deal, just from a major metropolitan area instead of the AAU circuit for their recruiting area to give their sales pitch for the full athletic rides. Kids taking multiple hour train rides to school to play with multiple 4 and 5 stars.

Sure, it's been going on for years. But you can't argue that kids today aren't of a different mindset.

For years, there were maybe 5 guys in any class that were bona fide pros. The can't miss types that everyone knew would be in the NBA one day. And those kids maybe took a "businesslike" approach to their recruitment and basketball happenings. But now, kids ranked in the 40s, 50s and 60s are taking a "businesslike" approach to their recruitment.

I remember the days when kids played ball because they liked playing ball. They hoped and they might have believed they were going to make it to the NBA one day but those thoughts didn't rule the day. Kids still went out and played because they liked playing. They also didn't fear competition and losing the way today's kids fear competition and losing. IMO, kids from previous eras were infinitely tougher mentally. A kid would choose a school because he liked the coach or the campus or it was close to home and he knew he'd have support from family. But now we have marginal kids traveling across the country to team up with other good players because of the "exposure" they'll receive by playing with other highly ranked kids? That's just...lame.

Give me a kid that wants to take on all comers. Give me the kid that will go at it alone against a "superteam" because he believes in himself and he believes the coach that recruited him knows best of how to assemble a team. Give me the kid that's his own man. Give me the kid that plays because he's a competitor and loves the game and is mature enough to know that if he doesn't make the NBA, he'll have a valuable degree from the school he attended and a valuable experience of growing as a teammate and person. I'll pass on the weak-minded kids that have to manufacture all the right positions for the small chance that they get paid to play one day. I'll pass on the kid that feels so unsure of himself that he needs to ride someone else's coattails to stardom.

/rant

Sure, it's been going on for years. But you can't argue that kids today aren't of a different mindset.

For years, there were maybe 5 guys in any class that were bona fide pros. The can't miss types that everyone knew would be in the NBA one day. And those kids maybe took a "businesslike" approach to their recruitment and basketball happenings. But now, kids ranked in the 40s, 50s and 60s are taking a "businesslike" approach to their recruitment.

I remember the days when kids played ball because they liked playing ball. They hoped and they might have believed they were going to make it to the NBA one day but those thoughts didn't rule the day. Kids still went out and played because they liked playing. They also didn't fear competition and losing the way today's kids fear competition and losing. IMO, kids from previous eras were infinitely tougher mentally. A kid would choose a school because he liked the coach or the campus or it was close to home and he knew he'd have support from family. But now we have marginal kids traveling across the country to team up with other good players because of the "exposure" they'll receive by playing with other highly ranked kids? That's just...lame.

Give me a kid that wants to take on all comers. Give me the kid that will go at it alone against a "superteam" because he believes in himself and he believes the coach that recruited him knows best of how to assemble a team. Give me the kid that's his own man. Give me the kid that plays because he's a competitor and loves the game and is mature enough to know that if he doesn't make the NBA, he'll have a valuable degree from the school he attended and a valuable experience of growing as a teammate and person. I'll pass on the weak-minded kids that have to manufacture all the right positions for the small chance that they get paid to play one day. I'll pass on the kid that feels so unsure of himself that he needs to ride someone else's coattails to stardom.

/rant
tl;dr

Reactions: reggaeheel
Or they could be the same but have more information to make their decision. Deeper friendships exist with technology making it easier. Same kid using advanced tools.

Or they could be the same but have more information to make their decision. Deeper friendships exist with technology making it easier. Same kid using advanced tools.

I would argue technology doesn't create "deeper relationships." More widespread or more convenient? Sure. Superficial? Maybe. Deeper? No.

As far as "more information" goes, yeah, I guess. If you're arguing that kids of previous eras would have succumbed to the maladies that I maintain affect today's youth, yeah, I'd probably agree there too. But make no mistake, I say that with contempt for the mindset that kids of this era have, largely due to technology.

I don't disagree about deeper relationships.

I do think it creates one that would have never existed and you can keep in contact with people who have similar interests.

I doubt players of the 80's knew much about other top players across the country. They saw them a few weekends in the summer and that was it.

That is the point I am making. They may have created super teams back then but we're prevented by not be able to communicate like today.

Reactions: dtodd4475
The parochial schools all made super teams with the kids that were familiar with each other in every metropolitan area. Hoop Dreams is arguably the best documentary ever, they hooked up kids from 6th grade on, with paid scouts,and shipped them out if they didn't develop/ grow once there.

Sane kids, more options. More schools wanting to cash in on the young talents.

Nothing new here, but we see that Sean Miller tells a committed recruit who to go after. Most coaches probably do it...

Offer Board

2020 (14)

Jaden Springer
Ziaire Williams
Puff Johnson
Isaiah Todd
Caleb Love
Earl Timberlake
Dawson Garcia
Hunter Dickinson
Cam'Ron Fletcher
Greg Brown
Bryce Thompson
Walker Kessler
Cade Cunningham
DJ Steward
RJ Davis
Day ‘Ron Sharpe - committed

2021 (2)
Paolo Banchero
Patrick Baldwin
So 5? Gimme Caleb Love, Zaire Williams, Bryce Thompson, Jaden Springer, and a toss up for 5th. Maybe another PF but tbh with Brooks, Sharpe, and hopefully Bacot taking meaningful minutes in 2020, I don’t see a PF committing. Maybe Timberlake or Dickinson considering we’re in Top 7?? But I’d love to see another true PG commit w Cole inevitably leaving.

UNC extends it's record of Top 5 finishes....

Delete Fletcher off board as he just committed to Kentucky per Evan Daniels.

Last edited:
Heck, I'm gonna get greedy. Give me "both" Caleb Love and RJ Davis. This move at Steph Curry's camp was criminal. Look at the expression on Curry's face. Priceless!

Here is an article about Auburn's woes. Doubt Kessler is still considering Auburn which many were saying it was a battle between Duke and Auburn for his commitment.

Auburn's problems may bring UNC back in the running. UNC might get an OV soon. Right now, Duke is leading for Kessler. This may change if Roy can get him in for an OV within the next few weeks.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/auburn...uld-add-to-schools-ncaa-issues-230422087.html

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT