ADVERTISEMENT

Random Thoughts

King Coach

Sophomore
Silver Member
Jan 23, 2021
As I drink my morning coffee....thinking about my Heels....here are some thoughts.

1. We have to recruit more shooters....can’t have just one shooter on the team....stop Walton or Walton have a tough night...we’re up the creek.

2. Post players need go to moves like Kessler (baby hook shot)...Sharpe and Bacot have to be under the basket to score and most times they try to score by muscling the ball through contact. What happened to the left hand right hand hook shot? It has to be tiring always muscling up through contact.

3. Three point defense....please just stay with your man....stop running away from the hot shooters.

4. Make the easy pass....stop forcing the ball inside when there’s nothing there....and stop lobbing soft passes inside.

ok that’s it....this is not a response to last night but a response to the season this far. Last night was just a repeat of previo

The body language of some of these guys is just terrible during games. Last night it truly looked like a few of them had some money on that game in the wrong direction.
And with the talent differential between them and cuse it almost takes that to lose to them .

Reactions: Heelicious
The body language of some of these guys is just terrible during games. Last night it truly looked like a few of them had some money on that game in the wrong direction.
And with the talent differential between them and cuse it almost takes that to lose to them .
I agree and the confidence level seems low.

Reactions: bobcrane14
As I drink my morning coffee....thinking about my Heels....here are some thoughts.

1. We have to recruit more shooters....can’t have just one shooter on the team....stop Walton or Walton have a tough night...we’re up the creek.

2. Post players need go to moves like Kessler (baby hook shot)...Sharpe and Bacot have to be under the basket to score and most times they try to score by muscling the ball through contact. What happened to the left hand right hand hook shot? It has to be tiring always muscling up through contact.

3. Three point defense....please just stay with your man....stop running away from the hot shooters.

4. Make the easy pass....stop forcing the ball inside when there’s nothing there....and stop lobbing soft passes inside.
All great points. I'll just add on a bit. Yes finish inside and learn to use the glass more.

Take your time on FTs and act like they count, they matter, because they do.

There should be consequences, punishment, extra work / pain to the team or to individuals for high number of turnovers. Something has to change to make them value the ball. Stop with the careless passes. a 50-50 pass should never be made, but especially when a couple of our bigs play soft or with no fire.... and even if they catch the 50-50 pass, get it stolen from them much of the time without getting a shot up.

What if we treated every possession - or even 80% of the possessions as vital as we do in the comeback last night the last two minutes. See? We valued the ball then, so we know it can be done, if the players want to put in just a tiny amount of effort and thinking to make it happen. That they choose not to give this thought and effort all game or even for half of the game, is infuriating.

As I've mentioned before, I wonder if these guys are having as much fun as our players usually do when there's no pandemic and when we are winning more.

This could be an important factor when some of them consider whether to go pro.

Brooks could return under the COVID rule, but he really doesn't look happy this year, so why would he? He may not get drafted but he'll surely play for pay next year.

I think Sharpe is a lock for being drafted in the first round, but others disagree. He could be a lock for the lottery next year if he returns. But if he isn't enjoying himself, why not take the millions now? That said, he's actually one of the few guys who looks like he IS enjoying himself. I expect him to leave, but won't be all that surprised if he sticks around for 1 more year.

Caleb is sort of the opposite of Sharpe. If he stays in the draft, I have no doubt he'll be drafted. But unless he gets more consistent (and consistently good) over the remaining games, I doubt it will be in the first round. But unlike Sharpe, he rarely looks happy. So I won't be surprised if he chooses to leave even without a first round guarantee.

If Kessler stays on his recent trajectory, he might get drafted, as well. Maybe even first round, although that could be a stretch. But he's another guy who, now that he's getting PT, looks happy to be here. I expect him to stay.

Although on any given day RJ may be as good as or better than Caleb, he lacks the height and wingspan of Caleb, so he isn't going anywhere. He never looks that happy, either, but in his case I think it's just his tough demeanor, not a hang-dog or angry thing. He'll be back and I expect great play from him next year. Maybe even with a few smiles. Especially if Caleb leaves and RJ can claim the reins. It's not that I sense bad chemistry between Caleb and RJ - we aren't talking Larry Drew and Dexter Strickland, after all - but they don't seem like best buddies.

It's a poorly constructed roster. 5 true post players in Manley,Brooks,Sharpe,Bacot,and Kessler. Two scoring guards trying to play point guard. One wing that's weak as bath water and 1 wing that couldn't score 10 points in a 40 and over Ymca league. 1 true shooter on the roster that plays and the rest are role players. Not a true point guard on the roster. No stretch 4 on the roster and a pure lack of shooting. Nobody on this team should go pro. Love I shouldn't even have to comment about as far as the Nba is concerned. Sharpe still thinks he's playing 6'6" high school players in the post. Tries to power through everything and misses at will within a foot of the basket. No jump hooks,no facing up and not even a semblance of a back to the basket game. Shooting 51% from the foul line. He's a good rebounder and the rest is a muddled mess.

It's a poorly constructed roster. 5 true post players in Manley,Brooks,Sharpe,Bacot,and Kessler. Two scoring guards trying to play point guard. One wing that's weak as bath water and 1 wing that couldn't score 10 points in a 40 and over Ymca league. 1 true shooter on the roster that plays and the rest are role players. Not a true point guard on the roster. No stretch 4 on the roster and a pure lack of shooting. Nobody on this team should go pro. Love I shouldn't even have to comment about as far as the Nba is concerned. Sharpe still thinks he's playing 6'6" high school players in the post. Tries to power through everything and misses at will within a foot of the basket. No jump hooks,no facing up and not even a semblance of a back to the basket game. Shooting 51% from the foul line. He's a good rebounder and the rest is a muddled mess.
Harsh.

But not wrong.

Reactions: UNCPJH81 and gd15nc
Love is showing off for the NBA. I'll be glad when he goes. I'll be glad when these subpar upperclassmen are gone. Brooks, Platek, and Black are liabilities.

This team's problem is not hard to describe... It's turnovers, period. 20-25 turnovers is a severe handicap. No senior leadership is another.

Who knows....Love and RJ are SG’s. We need a true floor general that can also shoot. I have to guess that Love will be back.

If love and Davis are SGs man alive someone teach them how to shoot or learn to pass the ball more. Everyone thinks love is gone...not sure where he’s going but whatever he thinks is best for him.

this this this this this this this....SPOT ON. I've been saying it for at least 2 years now. Roy has gotten in a rut and hasn't been able to piece together a sound roster from top to bottom with the right pieces. I believe part of that is scholarships that have been tied up in the current junior and senior class that have absolutely killed us. Our inability to construct a roster with AT LEAST 2 good shooters will never allow this team to be among the elite. At any given time, we may not have a single soul on the floor that can hit a shot outside the free throw line and even that is being generous. This is also a pathetic free throw shooting team.

Love is showing off for the NBA. I'll be glad when he goes. I'll be glad when these subpar upperclassmen are gone. Brooks, Platek, and Black are liabilities.

This team's problem is not hard to describe... It's turnovers, period. 20-25 turnovers is a severe handicap. No senior leadership is another.
Bingo.
I'd even settle for a sophomore or junior leader at this point. It would be nice for it to be a senior, but we've had plenty of stud / dog leaders as sophs and especially juniors. Far too many to name, even as recent as 2-4 years ago.

I just don't think it is fair or should be expected, or works from a team chemistry standpoint to expect a freshman to be a leader for upperclassmen. But that is the sad place we are, with zero leaders or even leader material for this year in soph - senior class. Personal failures for each of these upperclassmen guys in fulfilling expectations of the Tar Heel program.

I totally think Platek has the mindset and heart and attitude and knowledge to be a leader, but he is just so limited physically that he can't be on the court enough to make a big difference at all. I don't blame him one bit. Not nearly as much as Brooks, Leaky. Platek is doing all he can, but he is #10 of 10 athletically of the guys who play, so he is just above Blue Steel regarding leadership opportunities.

Reactions: strummingram
this this this this this this this....SPOT ON. I've been saying it for at least 2 years now. Roy has gotten in a rut and hasn't been able to piece together a sound roster from top to bottom with the right pieces. I believe part of that is scholarships that have been tied up in the current junior and senior class that have absolutely killed us. Our inability to construct a roster with AT LEAST 2 good shooters will never allow this team to be among the elite. At any given time, we may not have a single soul on the floor that can hit a shot outside the free throw line and even that is being generous. This is also a pathetic free throw shooting team.

yes true. We basically start every game playing 4 vs 5 on the offensive end. And the player who is the missing link doesn’t exactly fill the Jackie Manuel lock down defender role at all. It’s an unpopular opinion but IMO the jr/sr class is really really hurting this team in a myriad of ways.

If Caleb comes back I agree with you Gary but readiness notwithstanding what if he goes league. If I have to survive another season with a freshman point guard I probably won't.....survive that is. Two or three years of Caleb would be great but if he leaves and we go with Davis which I'm fine with I can't help but wonder if the Caleb experiment was worth it when we could have been giving RJ the full season of experience.
But again I hope Gary is right and they all stay.

I'll be shocked if Caleb comes back. Ever since January his attitude has reminded me of many of the "I'm gonna be OAD whether I am ready or not" freshmen that have been in durham and lexington.

Who knows....Love and RJ are SG’s. We need a true floor general that can also shoot. I have to guess that Love will be back.
What we are missing in a PG, what we so dramatically need is that really quick/speedy solid ball handler, that is pass first mindset but shoots just enough that defenses need to respect it. Our current PGs are score first guys that are extremely poor ball handlers, poor passers, poor decision makers, and are very streaky shooters. In other words they are Dexter Strickland (Love) as a freshman and Nate Britt (RJ) as a freshman. Now yes I do believe that both can develop in to very good PGs but it is going to take a while because there is so much about the position they have to make drastic improvement in. Size is likely to keep RJ in college for 4yrs, Love has amazing talent but he has a lot of work to get done, I see him as likely a 3yr guy at this point but would not rule out him blowing up as a soph.

Ball handles is not really talked about enough, these guys are really poor at it. They can dribble themselves in to trouble but they can not keep their dribble alive and get out of it? About the only thing worst than their ball handles is their decision making. Why would you throw the ball to a big man that is already double covered and a 3rd defender on the way? Why would you as a guard show your defender the ball, they have this nasty habit of taking it from you when you did that, did a coach not tell you that in middle school? What coach EVER told his players, ya know, a 1 handed pass is just as good as a 2 handed one? Must have been the same coach that said, not a problem if you toss an inlet pass to your big man at his knees, right? Wonder if it was that same coach that said, hey just cause that kid over there just knocked down 3 wide open jumpers in a row it is not a good idea to front him off the ball to deny a catch? Same coach must have advised, just because the last 3 times down court they had their guard penetrate with the dribble and kicked back out to a spot up shooter doesn't mean they will do that again?

What we are missing in a PG, what we so dramatically need is that really quick/speedy solid ball handler, that is pass first mindset but shoots just enough that defenses need to respect it. Our current PGs are score first guys that are extremely poor ball handlers, poor passers, poor decision makers, and are very streaky shooters. In other words they are Dexter Strickland (Love) as a freshman and Nate Britt (RJ) as a freshman. Now yes I do believe that both can develop in to very good PGs but it is going to take a while because there is so much about the position they have to make drastic improvement in. Size is likely to keep RJ in college for 4yrs, Love has amazing talent but he has a lot of work to get done, I see him as likely a 3yr guy at this point but would not rule out him blowing up as a soph.

Ball handles is not really talked about enough, these guys are really poor at it. They can dribble themselves in to trouble but they can not keep their dribble alive and get out of it? About the only thing worst than their ball handles is their decision making. Why would you throw the ball to a big man that is already double covered and a 3rd defender on the way? Why would you as a guard show your defender the ball, they have this nasty habit of taking it from you when you did that, did a coach not tell you that in middle school? What coach EVER told his players, ya know, a 1 handed pass is just as good as a 2 handed one? Must have been the same coach that said, not a problem if you toss an inlet pass to your big man at his knees, right? Wonder if it was that same coach that said, hey just cause that kid over there just knocked down 3 wide open jumpers in a row it is not a good idea to front him off the ball to deny a catch? Same coach must have advised, just because the last 3 times down court they had their guard penetrate with the dribble and kicked back out to a spot up shooter doesn't mean they will do that again?
Put a jersey on Butter and see what happens

Reactions: CJBlue
I'll be shocked if Caleb comes back. Ever since January his attitude has reminded me of many of the "I'm gonna be OAD whether I am ready or not" freshmen that have been in durham and lexington.
Bubs, be ready to be shocked! Honestly, I would be in total shock if Love left for the NBA after this season. Now want to be clear, this is VERY similar to the Bacot discussions last season, Bacot came to UNC in total belief he could be 1&D but it became crystal clear that his game was no where near NBA ready, still isn't but is more than last season. It is the case of a willing seller not able to find a willing buyer, there are not willing NBA buyers for Love right now nor are their likely to be by season end. REASON:

1) No matter current theory, you actually do have to guard, play defense in the NBA. Love is not consistently staying in front of his man in college and you going to defend James Harden? You leave your guy way to often in college and they end up splashing treys on you and you are ready to defend Curry? LOL

2) Quickest way to get cut off a NBA roster is to be a TO machine? LOL I can just see it now, Love playing for the Lakers next season, driving the ball in to the teeth of the defense that produces yet another TO and the "discussion" Lebron has with the kid at the next dead ball? LOL

3) OK but you can still find a way to the NBA if you are a knock down jump shooter but that absolutely is not Caleb right now. Yet another discussion from Lebron when the kid clanks another heat check trey having already missed his first 2? LOL

Stop with the careless passes. a 50-50 pass should never be made, but especially when a couple of our bigs play soft or with no fire.... and even if they catch the 50-50 pass, get it stolen from them much of the time without getting a shot up.
This is the part I don't get. So many of our passes are ~50% chance of a turnover, and you can pretty much tell as soon as the pass is made. Some work out for layups/dunks, but this is just not smart basketball. I don't get why there's not more coaching to limit this. Watch UVA play and see how many of these they make.

Put a jersey on Butter and see what happens
Thou Kendal was not a quickster, he covered ground ultra quick with his crazy ability to pass the ball. IN addition Kendal was able to use his size and physical strength to neutralize his lack of quickness and the kid had a basketball IQ off the charts as a player. Kendal was always playing chess while everyone else played checkers, he was always thinking 2 and 3 passes ahead. Kid like that is really a rare find.

Bubs, be ready to be shocked! Honestly, I would be in total shock if Love left for the NBA after this season. Now want to be clear, this is VERY similar to the Bacot discussions last season, Bacot came to UNC in total belief he could be 1&D but it became crystal clear that his game was no where near NBA ready, still isn't but is more than last season. It is the case of a willing seller not able to find a willing buyer, there are not willing NBA buyers for Love right now nor are their likely to be by season end. REASON:

1) No matter current theory, you actually do have to guard, play defense in the NBA. Love is not consistently staying in front of his man in college and you going to defend James Harden? You leave your guy way to often in college and they end up splashing treys on you and you are ready to defend Curry? LOL

2) Quickest way to get cut off a NBA roster is to be a TO machine? LOL I can just see it now, Love playing for the Lakers next season, driving the ball in to the teeth of the defense that produces yet another TO and the "discussion" Lebron has with the kid at the next dead ball? LOL

3) OK but you can still find a way to the NBA if you are a knock down jump shooter but that absolutely is not Caleb right now. Yet another discussion from Lebron when the kid clanks another heat check trey having already missed his first 2? LOL
Yup. He's way WAY too careless with the ball, even at the college level. He has some driving/shooting potential, but neither is realized yet. He doesn't really have an NBA skill right now. He could still go if he prefers the G-League or Europe to Carolina, but I don't see him being drafted nor making an NBA roster next year. He'd be overwhelmed at the NBA level.

Reactions: iwish and DSouthr
I loled. This was pretty good!

All great points. I'll just add on a bit. Yes finish inside and learn to use the glass more.

Take your time on FTs and act like they count, they matter, because they do.

There should be consequences, punishment, extra work / pain to the team or to individuals for high number of turnovers. Something has to change to make them value the ball. Stop with the careless passes. a 50-50 pass should never be made, but especially when a couple of our bigs play soft or with no fire.... and even if they catch the 50-50 pass, get it stolen from them much of the time without getting a shot up.

What if we treated every possession - or even 80% of the possessions as vital as we do in the comeback last night the last two minutes. See? We valued the ball then, so we know it can be done, if the players want to put in just a tiny amount of effort and thinking to make it happen. That they choose not to give this thought and effort all game or even for half of the game, is infuriating.
Amen brother...amen. Seems like they have butter fingers in the post.

Guys all great points. Maybe this is the new PG era.....SG’s parading as PG’s like Curry, Harden, and others of the NBA. If you are a lights out shooter , no problem. If not, you are in trouble.

Reactions: dadika13
It is unfortunate that - after 2 or 3 good looking games after returning from injury, Ant Harris has quickly pretty much disappeared or become a non-factor on the offensive end. It'd be nice if - on nights where things are going bad for Kerwin and Love and Davis and AP - :oops: - Ant could step up and hit a few shots for us. Contribute a couple 3s and6-8 points, or even a few assists.

Reactions: tarheel0910
It is unfortunate that - after 2 or 3 good looking games after returning from injury, Ant Harris has quickly pretty much disappeared or become a non-factor on the offensive end. It'd be nice if - on nights where things are going bad for Kerwin and Love and Davis and AP - :oops: - Ant could step up and hit a few shots for us. Contribute a couple 3s and6-8 points, or even a few assists.
Hard to score when you rarely shoot.

I’ll be shocked as well. His facial expressions seems like he is just an unhappy camper. If he leaves he should enjoy the G league.

Guys all great points. Maybe this is the new PG era.....SG’s parading as PG’s like Curry, Harden, and others of the NBA. If you are a lights out shooter , no problem. If not, you are in trouble.

Go look at the assist leaders in the NBA right now... https://www.espn.com/nba/stats/player/_/table/offensive/sort/avgAssists/dir/desc

6 of the top 8 players also average over 20ppg. Chris Paul is the only true PG in the top 8.

NBA GMs have absolutely zero concern that you weren't a prototypical college PG. In fact, they look down on that and will wonder if you can score enough to play.

If Caleb comes back I agree with you Gary but readiness notwithstanding what if he goes league. If I have to survive another season with a freshman point guard I probably won't.....survive that is. Two or three years of Caleb would be great but if he leaves and we go with Davis which I'm fine with I can't help but wonder if the Caleb experiment was worth it when we could have been giving RJ the full season of experience.
But again I hope Gary is right and they all stay.
We can only hope, brother, we can only hope.

Honestly, RJ is having a tougher adjustment to being a college 1 than Caleb is. RJ is a ball-dominant microwave scorer and his first instinct is to drive, but he's (unsurprisingly) finding it tougher sledding vs college athletes. Caleb at least spent his HS senior season trying to make the adjustment to Point. He's still VERY much a work-in-progress, but even through my jaundiced eyes, I'm seeing him really trying to get to the right places and adjust to the flow of the game (which in our system is no small feat). Rewatching the Cuse game, Caleb made some big-time plays down the stretch to get us back into it --- now, if he can just channel that focus into the normal offensive rhythms...

But yeah --- the KEY is him no longer being a frosh. OAD PGs just don't work optimally here. I mean, can you imagine how good Cole would've been in a second year? Whew!

Truth be known, the last true PG who was mentally ready to take the reins as a frosh was Joel Berry. Hell, JB came outta the womb playing PG and even he'll tell ya that the adjustment from HS into our system is daunting. The irony is that it took Roy an entire season to figure out JB should've been starting all along, but now it seems like he's trying to make up for it post facto but bringing in frosh who aspire to OAD. Sheesh!

Anyway, look, I dunno what Caleb's plans are as of now. But I HAVE heard an NBA scout say that he could play his way into a high draft pick with a strong sophomore year, and that Sharpe could play his way into a Lotto pick if he comes back.

I must agree after Harris’s first game back which was a major spark in a win he has barely hit the scoresheet but if watch the end of games he and Platek who also is not much of a scorer are in to play defense. So Coach Williams has shown recently he trusts Harris is the game defensively when the game is close.

It is unfortunate that Harris is normally in the game with Platek and Davis and two bigs so there are not many options on the offensive end.

Basketball is a simple game. The horrible passes and decisions should not be blamed on a complicated system. There is no complicated system.

Our lack of a point guard mentality guy and our lack of 3ball shooters is a vicious cycle. The lack of each allows defenses to disregard the negatives of selling out to attack the weaknesses of our perimeter guys. Neither skill set is there to keep dee's honest.

The NBA point guard discussion is interesting. The position is SO vital and demanding in the league. Coby is a great example. He is a shooter, great attitude, but can't be a NBA point. His short arms is a big reason. Can't finish at the bucket over rim protecters, difficult to apply needed dee to opposing point men.

He is a baller though, an ideal 6th man, or off ball shooter, with skill to handle the point for short spurts. Cam has the physical make up to be a finisher, and to be a defensive tough matchup, but is ages away from being a shooter, or a stone cold scorer type mentality yet.

He needs to aspire to a Coby type role. Will never be a go to NBA point man type.

I'm not saying there isn't an adjustment for these freshman coming to UNC and learning our system. However, I'm also not a fan of the continued excuses being made for these talented players who turn the ball over on basic entry passes, miss 50% of their free throws, don't rebound, can't stick with their man off the ball, etc. That's not system specific, that's basketball IQ, attention to detail, effort, etc.

Players these days seem much softer than even like ten years ago. These freshman seem to not have winners mentality’s coming in.

Twitter Facebook Insta obsession making them soft in the head. Combined with AAU obnoxious self indulgent context and nba poaching and you end up with talented but totally unprepared players.

Players these days seem much softer than even like ten years ago. These freshman seem to not have winners mentality’s coming in.

Twitter Facebook Insta obsession making them soft in the head. Combined with AAU obnoxious self indulgent context and nba poaching and you end up with talented but totally unprepared players.

In the 50s the kids were soft because of TV. In the 60s the kids were soft cuz of the music. In the 70s kids were soft because of the drugs. In the 80s...

Hell, I bet some old guy was bitching about the radio in the 30s.

latest

In the 50s the kids were soft because of TV. In the 60s the kids were soft cuz of the music. In the 70s kids were soft because of the drugs. In the 80s...

Hell, I bet some old guy was bitching about the radio in the 30s.

latest

those are pretty horrible comparisons for reasons I really doubt I have to explain but just in case- you can’t take a tv with you everywhere you go, for one thing. I don’t envy these guys attention being scattered in 900 different directions every second of the day. If you doubt this has an effect you’re living In fantasy land.

beyond that, do you disagree with my original statement? I mean besides posting a tired simpsons gif that’s been used ten thousand times.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT