ADVERTISEMENT

Rank ‘em tksgvng side dishes

how about collards? I don't care for them being prepared as big chunks with some ham hock meat or bacon in there. I only really like them when they have been seasoned with fatback grease and ham hocks and whatever old school stuff was cooked with them, and then chopped really fine. Sometimes dash some vinegary stuff on them, but mostly just like them plain. I could eat nothing but collards for a week and be sad when the week was over.
I cook mine with skin, hamhock, lard, red pepper flakes and a little sugar. Chop them fine and sprinkle with hot vinegar. And never cook them before they have had a frost.

I cook mine with skin, hamhock, lard, red pepper flakes and a little sugar. Chop them fine and sprinkle with hot vinegar. And never cook them before they have had a frost.
Collards are a test of several skills, esp the selection. One grandma got it, the other always wound up with a bunch leftover / thrown out.

Last edited:
To me, it wouldn’t be Thanksgiving without collards. However, I never had them at Thanksgiving until I got married and my wife started preparing them. The reason I hadn’t before is because growing up my dad wouldn’t allow my mom to serve them at any time. Once I asked him why he didn’t like them and he said it was because almost daily when he was growing up, his dog would go out into their garden, hike up his leg and take a piss right into the them.

To me, it wouldn’t be Thanksgiving without collards. However, I never had them at Thanksgiving until I got married and my wife started preparing them. The reason I hadn’t before is because growing up my dad wouldn’t allow my mom to serve them at any time. Once I asked him why he didn’t like them and he said it was because almost daily when he was growing up, his dog would go out into their garden, hike up his leg and take a piss right into the them.
Never had collards at Thanksgiving but they are a must for New Years along with black eye peas, cornbread and hog jowl.. I look forward to that meal as much as Thanksgiving.

Reactions: chickenhunter
Ham hocks and fat grease for collards. I like them with some kick, but not everyone.does. You can always add the kick. I have some home canned hot peppers for that.

Once in a while we roast oysters for thanksgiving. Butter pickles and cornbread is the sides
My Thanksgiving is a little FUBAR'ed this year, in that the traditional meal we've had for the last thirty years is now a thing of the past due to the passing of the lady who hosted. Instead, I'm hopefully going to roast some oysters and maybe smoke a turkey....but mostly roast oysters. It won't be the same, but not a bad substitute.

When I told my sister what I was going to be doing, she asked if roasting oysters was a Thanksgiving thing and I said I didn't know. Now I guess I can say it is.

Reactions: Grayhead
My Thanksgiving is a little FUBAR'ed this year, in that the traditional meal we've had for the last thirty years is now a thing of the past due to the passing of the lady who hosted. Instead, I'm hopefully going to roast some oysters and maybe smoke a turkey....but mostly roast oysters. It won't be the same, but not a bad substitute.

When I told my sister what I was going to be doing, she asked if roasting oysters was a Thanksgiving thing and I said I didn't know. Now I guess I can say it is.

you can’t find any local oysters round here startin about a week ago. Gotta put your order in with the local seafood markets weeks in advance in hopes of having any. So evidently it’s a tradition for a lot of people

Another one to throw in the ring... carrot souffle

2pXO8TbQyqo0D0JX3KqA_carrot-souffle-3.jpg

Reactions: Heelicious
you can’t find any local oysters round here startin about a week ago. Gotta put your order in with the local seafood markets weeks in advance in hopes of having any. So evidently it’s a tradition for a lot of people
Its all in who you know. You need a good harvester. They make more money selling to individuals. They should be opening the waters soon in certain places.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
thanks. Nice to know about the tradition but not about knowing that I'm probably shit out of luck on the oysters. Dammit, man. Maybe we'll do a low country boil and start a new tradition.

Another one to throw in the ring... carrot souffle

2pXO8TbQyqo0D0JX3KqA_carrot-souffle-3.jpg
This belongs in the weird stuff some in-law started contributing thread. My wife's fam likes pearled onions in cheese sauce. :-\

Last edited:
This belongs in the weird stuff some in-law started contributing. My wife's fam likes pearled onions in cheese sauce. :-\

Everyone I know learned about it from the Piccadilly. I guess it sounds weird if it's unfamiliar, but if it's made right, it practically tastes like a dessert.

Speaking of oysters and weird my mother-in-law makes a casserole with oysters, cheese, bacon, saltine crackers, cream, and lots of butter for tksgvng. Bout 2000 calories a bite I’d estimate

Reactions: Heelicious
Speaking of oysters and weird my mother-in-law makes a casserole with oysters, cheese, bacon, saltine crackers, cream, and lots of butter for tksgvng. Bout 2000 calories a bite I’d estimate
I've been determined to do this for years and I still haven't followed through. I saw the recipe many years ago (minus the cheese) and it was called oyster pie, IIRC. Layers of oysters and crackers. I'd eat that.

these 'most popular by State' maps are such bullshit...but there isn't anybody here or anywhere who can resist checking it out as if they believe somebody actually did some extensive research on it.
Nah, these are accurate and belong in public school US history.

We usually have some high-grade bread varieties that you can dip in olive oil, cracked pepper and parmesan cheese.
For veggies - carrots glazed in honey and orange sauce
A minor side of large green olives in olive oil, stuffed with sun dried tomatoes

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
I’m gonna add chicken pastry, aka chicken stew or chicken n dumplings, as it’s considered a side at our Thanksgiving lunch.

A few years ago, my nephew asked me to cook a Boston Butt for Thanksgiving. I had cooked one and too it to a gathering and he loved it. After cooking it the first time, it's the main meat we usually have now.

I also cook collards with seasoning meat/fatback while adding some different spices. Add a little sugar and have at it. Like another poster said, I could eat collards every day. Also need some pepper vinegar. Make you wanna slap yo mama!!

Sometimes I'll fry cornbread cakes to make sandwiches with my collards and straight up swear someone's gonna get an ass whooping if they touch them before me.

Reactions: bluetoe
Sometimes I'll fry cornbread cakes to make sandwiches with my collards and straight up swear someone's gonna get an ass whooping if they touch them before me.
Add a slice of hog jowl and you have one of the world’s greatest foods.

Nah, these are accurate and belong in public school US history.
so then, you don't bother to look to see if they got it right? That was the point. And don't lie. You look and we know it.

Last edited:
do you go with the fluffy dumplings cooked on top of the stew or the dense ones boiled in it?
you beat me to it. The dense flat noodles are pastry (in my upbringing), and the fluffy ones are dumplings. Both are really good but chicken and dumplings is to kill for.

It annoys the hell out of me when someone calls dumplings pastry and vice versa. So don't do it. You've all been warned.

you beat me to it. The dense flat noodles are pastry (in my upbringing), and the fluffy ones are dumplings. Both are really good but chicken and dumplings is to kill for.

It annoys the hell out of me when someone calls dumplings pastry and vice versa. So don't do it. You've all been warned.
I love pea dumplings made with fresh green peas from the garden.

Its all in who you know. You need a good harvester. They make more money selling to individuals. They should be opening the waters soon in certain places.
called my local market this morning and they said they just unloaded plenty. Heel yeah, I'm having roast oysters with turkey stuffing for Thanksgiving.

Reactions: Grayhead
so then, you don't bother to look to see if they got it right? That was the point. And don't lie. You look and we know it.
I was kidding about the history books dood. The tweet points out the stupidity of Maine's, but I don't know any nc'ers that do mac and cheese. It's a joke or bs fodder

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT