ADVERTISEMENT

Replacements??

Wondering if anyone else was even considered? How may have turned down the job?
Supposably Satterfield was contacted, even though he denies it. I'm guessing some other calls were made, but they might not have gone far with the discussions.

If any other calls were made, it was just for show. The whole outcome of this was decided long before Fedora was let go. Not that it wasn't the right thing to do, but you effectively saw a coup d'etat that likely began weeks ago.

Reactions: franklin street
If any other calls were made, it was just for show. The whole outcome of this was decided long before Fedora was let go. Not that it wasn't the right thing to do, but you effectively saw a coup d'etat that likely began weeks ago.
Maybe, but it's possible nobody noteworthy picked up the phone. I know fan support was an issue and there were only a few coaches out there that would generate some excitement among the fans. If fan support was at the top of the list then Brown was probably the only realistic option left on the table given the current state of the program. Basically our only options I think were find a young coach that was a huge risk and wouldn't bring much excitement or a big proven name who would bring some excitement to the program. There weren't a lot of big proven names available.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
And I think that is just the point. They needed to win the press conference to excite the fan base. And while they may be great coaches, any of the lower level D1 guys weren't going to generate any excitement until they did something on the field. Mack is different in that he has done it here. And Mack is truly in his element in a press conference situation. And because he has won at UNC it gave everyone the same feeling of hope that was felt when Roy came back. One has to be impressed and excited to feel that hopefully things are on the right path again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT