ADVERTISEMENT

Report that Houston will fire Applewhite

Do you say No because you do not think Mack would invite him to be around, or because you do not want him around?

Applewhite is far from the most impressive former OC G5 HC out there. I wouldn't want him as OC. But as a volunteer? He could help.

I know why Houston boosters would want him, but I have no idea why he would leave a big 12 job for Houston.

I was thinking the same thing. Houston does have a billionaire booster named Tillman Fertitta, so maybe he goes if the money is right.

I was thinking the same thing. Houston does have a billionaire booster named Tillman Fertitta, so maybe he goes if the money is right.
I don't recall the name either, buy Houston does have a billionaire booster who donates the really big bucks when he wants something, and Houston also has a few other multimillionaire boosters who do the same thing. If they all want Holgerson, they will come up with the money to pay more than WVU.

A G5 hiring away a winning coach from a P5? That would be interesting.

I just read that the Houston job was offered to Kliff Kingsbury but he turned it down.

I just read that the Houston job was offered to Kliff Kingsbury but he turned it down.
That probably means 1 of 2 things: either he knows he needs experience outside TX, or he is now angling toward an NFL job and assumes SC OC is better for that than Houston HC.

Holgerson is finalizing deal to become the Houston coach.
I wonder how much money they've come up with.

That means a Big 12 job will open. Who will get it? Will WVU go after SEC coordinators? Or will WVU go after Neal Brown?

Names mentioned for WVU job include Brown, Luke Fickell and Butch Jones

The latest rumor is that Fertitta hired Holgerson as a way to improve their chances of joining the big 12.

The latest rumor is that Fertitta hired Holgerson as a way to improve their chances of joining the big 12.
Makes sense. There remains the possibility that the Big 12 will expand back to 12. If that happens, Houston will spend a fortune to make the cut.

ESPN article on Holgorson and Houston

Key paragraphs for us: "Houston made a significant financial commitment to Holgorsen to convince him to make the move, paying him an average salary that's $1.2 million higher than its previous highest-paid coach (Tom Herman made $2.8 million in 2016). His average salary of $4 million places him in the top 25 nationally among FBS coach salaries, according to USA Today's salary database. UH is also devoting $4.5 million to the salary pool for Holgorsen's assistant coaches and support staff, which is by far the highest in the Group of 5. Holgorsen called the salary pool "critical."

"Running a football program is, it's large business," Holgorsen said. "You have to hire a lot of people to be able to build the program the right way. And you've got to have money to be able to do it."

As expected, WVU replaces Holgerson with former Troy coach Neal Brown

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT