RJ Davis Visit - NOW WITH POLL

Will he come to Carolina?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
This weekend, I think.

I know some here think we don't need him, but I really hope he comes on board.

Sure, Caleb probably starts at PG next year, but RJ and maybe Jeremiah will push him. Then if Caleb is OAD, we'll be fine the following year and for several years with RJ (and Jeremiah).

We have enough scholarships for RJ and another wing, right? Doesn't depend on whether Mando is OAD, does it?

Last edited:
Reactions: gauchoheel
[from TOS]

Davis picked up an offer from UNC on July 17, a little more than a week after his standout performance at the Nike EYBL Finals at the Peach Jam in North Augusta, S.C. At Peach Jam, a Carolina staff member was at seemingly all of Davis's games and watched him post 20.6 points (45.1% FG, 42.5% 3pt, 81.6% FT), 4.4 rebounds, 3.2 assists, and 2.1 steals per game.

"He's a phenomenal, phenomenal kid and a great student. And I'm not just telling you that because he's my guy. I'd tell you if he wasn't, too, but I really mean that. He can do everything as far as running the team and he can get you buckets. The best thing about R.J. is his efficiency. He's really good with very few shot attempts and has a knack for getting to the free-throw line... he's so efficient and his decision making is light years ahead of his age. He's just a really good basketball player." - NY Rens coach Andy Borman

"He shoots in the mid-40s from three and has mastery of pace of play and rhythm. He never loses flow and has a feel for the game - that's something Hubert (Davis) really likes. He's just an unbelievable kid. But when he turns it on, he's a bad dude on the floor. They (UNC) are big fans of that." - Archbishop Stepinac coach Patrick Massaroni

According to 247, Hubert is taking the lead on recruiting RJ. Let's see how he does.

Only 4 CB predictions - 3 to Marquette, 1 to Pitt (Pitt previously had 2 picks, so that suggests something).

Reactions: TheGLOV
So this is the part where it seems the tough decisions are made.

Although I am often confusedt, my understanding is that we have two scholarships left for next year. We have Cade, Zaire, and RJ in the mix. An overwhelming majority on this board I believe would select Cade and Zaire from those three but would love to have RJ if at all possible.

"Silent verbals" and secret commitments aside, do you hold a spot for either Cade or Ziare if RJ wants to come? Do you give those guys first right of refusal?

I'm glad all I have to do is root for this team.

I'm starting to feel this kid is special and a potential to be one of those guys that Roy notices before they blow up! Nobody can analyze potential better than Roy and RJ certainly fits the mold. White and Sharpe were some recent examples.

Join the Family Mr. Davis!

Although I am often confusedt, my understanding is that we have two scholarships left for next year. We have Cade, Zaire, and RJ in the mix. An overwhelming majority on this board I believe would select Cade and Zaire from those three but would love to have RJ if at all possible.

"Silent verbals" and secret commitments aside, do you hold a spot for either Cade or Ziare if RJ wants to come? Do you give those guys first right of refusal?

Three open spots. Going after RJ, Cade, Ziaire, Bryce Thompson, Walton, and Puff. Would love to add RJ as well.

If all of them want to commit, I'm sure a couple of guys on the bench are willing to give up their scholly. (forgot who did this before)

This weekend, I think.

I know some here think we don't need him, but I really hope he comes on board.

Sure, Caleb probably starts at PG next year, but RJ and maybe Jeremiah will push him. Then if Caleb is OAD, we'll be fine the following year and for several years with RJ (and Jeremiah).

We have enough scholarships for RJ and another wing, right? Doesn't depend on whether Mando is OAD, does it?
Welp, from what I've seen RJ is first and foremost a scorer whose PG duties are well, a work in progress,, whereas Caleb is first and foremost a PG1 who can also score. So, if we strike out on our preferred 2-Guard targets?... then he could possibly be a fit... but so far the word is he's more likely headed elsewhere.

Welp, from what I've seen RJ is first and foremost a scorer whose PG duties are well, a work in progress,, whereas Caleb is first and foremost a PG1 who can also score. So, if we strike out on our preferred 2-Guard targets?... then he could possibly be a fit... but so far the word is he's more likely headed elsewhere.

Everything I read on Caleb is he a score first guard. I really haven't seen any highlights.

Caleb was an off the ball guard most of his young career and has recently made the transition to a full time PG who controls the offense.

Caleb himself has said that controlling an offense has been an adjustment. So yeah, I think it's safe to say the score first mentality is still there but he's very much a modern point guard in the way Coby is.

Everything I read on Caleb is he a score first guard. I really haven't seen any highlights.
The clips I saw of Caleb look good. Agile, quick, nice floater, good passer. My main concern from those clips is that they showed him scoring a lot at the rim against matador defenses or no defense. If he can score as freely through bumps and slaps he'll be great, but that's what remains to be seen.

Frankly - again just my opinion from a few clips - if RJ were 4 inches taller, I bet he'd be getting a 5-star ranking. So I see him as a potential 3-year starter and star for whoever signs him.

It might be worth mentioning that we don't have any offers out to PGs in the 2021 class yet. Could that be because Roy thinks we'll be OK there? Caleb may not be OAD, Jeremiah may be 100%, and we might have RJ. We'd be in good shape with any 2 of those 3 being true.

JMO

I'm not really worried about where Caleb will fit in. Defensively he has the length and athleticism to guard the 1 or 2. Offensively he can play PG or off the ball.

Basically that means he will fit with any of our remaining backcourt recruits.

RJ could be a very good multi year player. We've seen other small guards find success in the ACC and it would be nice to have some continuity.

Are you counting Mando's in those 3?

So we know we lose Cole, Keeling, BRob, and Pierce; we are bringing in Sharpe, Love, and Kessler. We have the scholly that Roy gave to the walk on this season because we did not need it for incoming recruits. So that is 2 more we can pass out.

Now of course Bacot could be 1&D, that is his plan but we have to see if he can justify it. Manley could medical retire if his knees do not ease and Jeremiah could be another injury to that knee from the same thing. Of course, we could have a transfer, you never know how mayabe a kid like Platek could maybe want more PT, not predicting that

Reactions: TheGLOV
I'm not really worried about where Caleb will fit in. Defensively he has the length and athleticism to guard the 1 or 2. Offensively he can play PG or off the ball.

Basically that means he will fit with any of our remaining backcourt recruits.

RJ could be a very good multi year player. We've seen other small guards find success in the ACC and it would be nice to have some continuity.
A Love-Davis back court might be quite good.

Reactions: Chicagoheelfan
I'm not knocking RJ at all, I like his game. I just think Thompson fits our need to a tee. Good size, athletic, deadeye shooter who can play the two. With point skills to interchange with Love. My clearly rooting for a Bryce, yes, is not meant as a slight toward RJ or Puff.

Reactions: dadika13 and CJBlue
I think we should not focus much on Puff. I really think it is Arizona for him. He has visited multiple times. He lives there and now plays high school ball there. Cam is there. I think we have too much going against here.

Reactions: Tarheels39
I think we should not focus much on Puff. I really think it is Arizona for him. He has visited multiple times. He lives there and now plays high school ball there. Cam is there. I think we have too much going against here.
I agree, plus playing where big brother played may not appeal to him. It all depends on the kid, and I get the feeling that he just doesn't want UNC.

Not sure why some are still keen on Puff, some of the NBA guys have not shown him much love on recent evaluations.

C’mon man, he’s got good size, can shoot the heck out of it, would be here 3 years at least, & he’s partially family already by way of his brother. We just going to load up on 5 Stars every year like those clowns down the road?

I’m glad Roy thinks differently, there’s a pecking order, Puff may indeed want to be a Heel but may have to wait for some others to say no first.

I'm not knocking RJ at all, I like his game. I just think Thompson fits our need to a tee. Good size, athletic, deadeye shooter who can play the two. With point skills to interchange with Love. My clearly rooting for a Bryce, yes, is not meant as a slight toward RJ or Puff.

Bingo.

And Roy agrees with you.

I certainly do not know what affect Davis' OV had on him, but reports that I have heard said that the visit went "very well". Take that as you wish, with the proverbial grain of salt. Personally, I think this kid has been undervalued because of his size. I like his game and think that a pairing with BT would be a good match for us, if we can convince BT to come to CH.I think our chances are 50/50 with him at this point, it's going to be a nail biter on this one.

I have not been able to actually see him play as some have, but I like what I have been able to view. But, more importantly, I like what I hear from those who are close to the situation, that he would be a welcome addition to this recruiting class.

I'd be happy with RJ and Walton.

Sure, they are the lowest ranking guys with offers, but they would still be great additions to the roster, and will continue to be good for us for (probably) their entire college careers.

That's a class of 2-3 OADs, a 2nd year starter, and a foundation player. Nearly a perfect class. Maybe too many OADs.

Don't get me wrong. It would be fun to see what Roy could do with 4 OADs - if we were to get Cade or Zaire or Bryce - especially if Armando also sticks around. But there are downsides, too.

First obvious downside is that Roy's system works best for guys who have stuck around long enough to learn it. Or at least that's the conventional wisdom. But the conventional wisdom used to be that Roy couldn't win without a lot of top talent, and he proved them wrong on that one. So who knows?

Second downside is freshman mistakes. We've gotten used to teams that don't make a lot of mistakes.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I certainly do not know what affect Davis' OV had on him, but reports that I have heard said that the visit went "very well". Take that as you wish, with the proverbial grain of salt. Personally, I think this kid has been undervalued because of his size. I like his game and think that a pairing with BT would be a good match for us, if we can convince BT to come to CH.I think our chances are 50/50 with him at this point, it's going to be a nail biter on this one.

I have not been able to actually see him play as some have, but I like what I have been able to view. But, more importantly, I like what I hear from those who are close to the situation, that he would be a welcome addition to this recruiting class.
Glad to hear that the visit went well. Hopefully we can get more info on that.

Are you saying you'd like RJ and Bryce?

To me Bryce doesn't look OAD. I could be wrong. But if I'm right, that could mean RJ and Bryce in the back court as sophs. That sounds really good. Leaky would be a senior at SF, I assume. And I won't be surprised if we have one of our 2020 bigs back for a soph year.

Reactions: Archer2
Glad to hear that the visit went well. Hopefully we can get more info on that.

Are you saying you'd like RJ and Bryce?

To me Bryce doesn't look OAD. I could be wrong. But if I'm right, that could mean RJ and Bryce in the back court as sophs. That sounds really good. Leaky would be a senior at SF, I assume. And I won't be surprised if we have one of our 2020 bigs back for a soph year.

Will post a little more later, I have a Dr's appointment to get to at this time.

I’d just prefer 3-4 years of RJ to 1 year of Thompson. I don’t want to get into the situation where we have a big turnover every year like dook and UK.
Arch, just my opinion but right now the only kid we have snagged from 2020 that I see as a likely 1&D is Sharpe, by all accounts he is in beast mode and is not looking back.

Have to consider, it is looking like that 2022 may be the first one in forever where kids can by pass the 1&D NBA requirement and enter the draft, that is going to be a very crowed draft. Meaning, a marginal draftee, meaning a kid that played well as a freshman but did stop the presses or does not have clear metric mismatches vs others at his position, say a Tony like guy or how I see Bacot, may see themselves pushed either way late second round or out of that draft. You know the kids direct out of high school are going to get huge love and you combine that with the absolute cream of the 1^D crop, as well as the outstanding upper classmen, makes the 1&D class with guys like Love, Kessler, Bryce, ZW, and Sharpe more difficult to get a great draft spot.

These guys all will be outstanding players for us but it looks to me like it may take them a while. I don't see Bryce as 1&D right now, I see him and Love as guys right there on the cusp but falling so late if not just outside of it that they come back. If the question then becomes, as I think it may, Bryce for multi years or RJ Davis for multi years, give me Bryce, no disrespect to davis but yeah, give me Bryce.

I know, the Tar Heel world has given up to the notion that Puff is zona bound but that same line of thinking had ZW about to commit to us and now the best bet is he stays west coast. But reality is because of the way Roy worked Cam and the success Cam had in our system, the belief that Cam is in the NBA today because of how he was developed at UNC, gives us a huge factor. Zone and Miller are smack in the middle of this FBI Adidas mess, there are no dark NCAA clouds hanging over Chapel Hill any longer. Zone will get their own LOI from the NCAA any day now while Puff is going to visit us in the near term, very questionable if Sean Miller can survives that.

Puff is very similar to his brother, by Cam's account may even be a better shooter than Cam was at the same age, Puff is not having to deal with a nagging injury like Cam had. he is that really long sweet jump shooting wing in the mode of Cam or Justin, a weapon Roy clearly loves, I see him as an excellent fit for us, so I will stay on this island of thinking we have a better shot than most seem to believe.and IMO a better shot than we do at ZW.

Reactions: Archer2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT