ADVERTISEMENT

Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame Nominees... Time to vote!

We've talked about this multiple times already. Either get past the "rock and roll" part or be prepared to be disappointed every year.
I know... Rock n Roll isn't part of the process anymore. I'm prepared fo disappointment. I hope some of the acts start asking to be removed or withdrawn as it degenerates.

We've talked about this multiple times already. Either get past the "rock and roll" part or be prepared to be disappointed every year.
I look at it like the one time of year that it rears its ugly head up to have scorn heaped upon it. And I'm all about heaping some scorn on it.

Reactions: Archer2
@tarheel0910 is right. We’ve discussed this ad nauseam. The RNRHOF is obviously meant for all genres now. So you just have to deal with that. And any voting you do going forward has to be with that in mind. Personally, I’d probably like it better if there was a RnRHOF, a R&BHOF, a hip hop HOF, etc. But that ain’t how they’re doing it.

So A Tribe Called Quest gets my vote for their influence on their genre, their longevity and putting out some real bangers.

Reactions: tarheel0910
@tarheel0910 is right. We’ve discussed this ad nauseam. The RNRHOF is obviously meant for all genres now. So you just have to deal with that. And any voting you do going forward has to be with that in mind. Personally, I’d probably like it better if there was a RnRHOF, a R&BHOF, a hip hop HOF, etc. But that ain’t how they’re doing it.

So A Tribe Called Quest gets my vote for their influence on their genre, their longevity and putting out some real bangers.
I agree exactly with having separate HOF's, unless you're just having a Music HOF. Chopin would be a lock.

But they called this the R&R HOF with the intention of it being for Rock and Roll...and they've made a travesty of it. HOF's for other genres could just as easily be established once it was realized that other genres ain't getting in where they don't belong. For example, there IS a country music HOF and I'm pretty sure the Rolling Stones aren't in it.

Whoever is responsible at the R&R HOF just opened their legs and invited in all comers. Sorry, don't ask me to stop ridiculing something that is begging to be ridiculed for ruining itself forever..

Cher, my ass.

Reactions: Archer2
I agree exactly with having separate HOF's, unless you're just having a Music HOF. Chopin would be a lock.

But they called this the R&R HOF with the intention of it being for Rock and Roll...and they've made a travesty of it. HOF's for other genres could just as easily be established once it was realized that other genres ain't getting in where they don't belong. For example, there IS a country music HOF and I'm pretty sure the Rolling Stones aren't in it.

Whoever is responsible at the R&R HOF just opened their legs and invited in all comers. Sorry, don't ask me to stop ridiculing something that is begging to be ridiculed for ruining itself forever..

Cher, my ass.

While I agree pretty much agree with all that, there would inevitably be those where the line is blurred. Are the Parliment Funkadelics rock-n-roll? Or are they funk? Are Hall and Oates RnR or are they pop? Iggy Pop? RnR or punk? Where’s the line of demarcation?

They should simply change it from the RnR HOF to the Music HOF.

While I agree pretty much agree with all that, there would inevitably be those where the line is blurred. Are the Parliment Funkadelics rock-n-roll? Or are they funk? Are Hall and Oates RnR or are they pop? Iggy Pop? RnR or punk? Where’s the line of demarcation?

They should simply change it from the RnR HOF to the Music HOF.
of course, the lines are blurred and some acts are going to straddle it. I myself would even argue that the Beatles are more pop than R&R, but I wouldn't bitch about them going in either or both HOF's if there was such a thing as a pop HOF. But the lines aren't just blurred, they have almost been eliminated.

Just change it to Rolling Stone Magazine's Music Hall Of Fame. That's what it is.

RS magazine somehow co-opted the term Rock'n'Roll. In doing so, they're helping to destroy what it ever was/is, in the process.

It's all "music", that's cool. But, when the "goal" is to enshrine artists that are attached to a specific genre of music, then do it. There are so many legitimate and incredible Rock'n'Roll acts and artists that will maybe never get any post-career recognition because RS magazine is trying to sell a product every year.

I still see advertisers using classic songs in commercials all the time. Free's "All Right Now" is a prime example. They didn't choose a cover version, they went to the source. It's disgusting... that song was a religious experience. But, it must be appealing, in a contemporary sense, if they chose it to sell their shit.

Lenny Kravitz definitely belongs in there.

Foreigner should have already been inducted.

Peter Frampton should have been inducted with Humble Pie (who are RnR to the bone and never got nominated). But, he definitely gets the nod.

Jane's Addiction is very worthy.

And... Ozzy Osbourne should have been in long ago, and not just with Black Sabbath. However, I think if you're in... you're in. That includes all the Beatles. They're already IN the HOF, so... it seems redundant. I realize they all had great solo careers, but they're still the same people as they were in their respective bands. To me, it's just more aggrandizing by the HOF.

The above acts are at LEAST "Rock n Roll" and they would call themselves RnR music.

Reactions: bluetoe
one of my very favorite groups. How do you call yourself a R&R HOF if they aren't included? I suppose Steve Marriot isn't either. What a joke.
Well... if it was 1971, it would be different. If it was 1971, the music would be fvcking great! I'm envious of two of my oldest friends. One was born in 1954, the other in 1957. Even though they're both over 10 years older than me, they got to see the BEST acts in RnR history. The list of bands they saw is just incredible. And, they both grew up near bigger cities where they ALL stopped on tour. Lucky mf'ers. The one born in 54 saw Hendrix and Cream. They saw the ABB with the original members, the Stones with Mick Taylor... on and on.

Bands like Humble Pie, Bad Company, Jethro Tull, The Guess Who (and BTO), Grand Funk Railroad, etc., were all packing places 50 years ago... not now.

The nominees are all becoming more recent. Foreigner is the oldest act, I believe. But, they have to get more contemporary or no one will show up, I guess.

And, nothing against any of the nominees like Mary J. Blige, Sade, or whoever. They're all incredibly talented and gifted performers. But, the RRHOF hasn't begun to induct some of the pillars of RnR. Maybe they could go to a "Decade" ballot- 2 from the 60s 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000s etc..

Reactions: bluetoe
Well... if it was 1971, it would be different. If it was 1971, the music would be fvcking great! I'm envious of two of my oldest friends. One was born in 1954, the other in 1957. Even though they're both over 10 years older than me, they got to see the BEST acts in RnR history. The list of bands they saw is just incredible. And, they both grew up near bigger cities where they ALL stopped on tour. Lucky mf'ers. The one born in 54 saw Hendrix and Cream. They saw the ABB with the original members, the Stones with Mick Taylor... on and on.

Bands like Humble Pie, Bad Company, Jethro Tull, The Guess Who (and BTO), Grand Funk Railroad, etc., were all packing places 50 years ago... not now.

The nominees are all becoming more recent. Foreigner is the oldest act, I believe. But, they have to get more contemporary or no one will show up, I guess.

And, nothing against any of the nominees like Mary J. Blige, Sade, or whoever. They're all incredibly talented and gifted performers. But, the RRHOF hasn't begun to induct some of the pillars of RnR. Maybe they could go to a "Decade" ballot- 2 from the 60s 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000s etc..

I know what you're saying. I'm even luckier than your friends.

I had to stop reading your link after two pages. Too outraged to go on.

Reactions: strummingram
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT