ADVERTISEMENT

Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame Nominees... Time to vote!

I have no idea any more what the qualifications are supposed to be. But if it’s “music I enjoy”

Rage
Devo
Judas

Everyone else can pound sand

disappointed-disappointed-fan.gif

I only had room for one rap act and I chose Tribe. I respect Em’s greatness. He’s just not my cup of tea.

I just wonder if they should consider renaming it to something like Modern Music Hall of Fame or something else more descriptive.

Em is a great example. His career and impact within the music industry is undeniable. Super talented and he would have to be universally recognized even if his music isn't your cup of tea. But is it Rock and Roll?

I just wonder if they should consider renaming it to something like Modern Music Hall of Fame or something else more descriptive.

Em is a great example. His career and impact within the music industry is undeniable. Super talented and he would have to be universally recognized even if his music isn't your cup of tea. But is it Rock and Roll?

I also wouldn't consider Dolly and Lionel Ritchie to be "rock-n-roll" artists.

Reactions: Heelicious

We've had the Rock and Roll HOF name argument on the board a lot. I think the general consensus was to just rename it the Music HOF. Most people here have accepted that it includes every style at this point.

My picks include an underdog:

Eminem
Dolly
Tribe
Rage
And the underdog... Beck

We've had the Rock and Roll HOF name argument on the board a lot. I think the general consensus was to just rename it the Music HOF. Most people here have accepted that it includes every style at this point.

My picks include an underdog:

Eminem
Dolly
Tribe
Rage
And the underdog... Beck
Scary that OOTB seems to be more self-aware than the board at the R&R HOF. lol.

“ That said, candidates are reviewed and discussed relative to their impact on this music that we broadly call rock and roll. The innovation and influence of these artists is also critical. Gold records, number one hits, and million sellers are really not appropriate “

In that regard the list starts behind devo imo. Their impact, innovation and influence is unparalleled in the group mentioned. They were to new age what nirvana was to grunge.

I’d put em second

R&R HOF is a joke

dos it matter? It should, because after all it's the fvcking R&R HOFvckingF. But does it? And some think Dolly Parton is better qualified than Eminem, when clearly country is Dolly Parton's genre. This is why I hate the stupid human race.

I have considered that option, quite a few times... believe me.

66827.jpg

I saw Dolly in concert so long ago her breasts were only huge. Seriously. Before she had 'em mammothized, they were real...and really big already. She started out with boobs that most women try to achieve with bolt-ons, and then doubled-down on those. All in the name of show biz.

I saw Dolly in concert so long ago her breasts were only huge. Seriously. Before she had 'em mammothized, they were real...and really big already. She started out with boobs that most women try to achieve with bolt-ons, and then doubled-down on those. All in the name of show biz.
If you ever watch the Ken Burns/PBS "Country Music" multi-episode documentary, they feature her a lot. And, in one episode, they get into her career extensively, and that woman is just bad-ass. She was confident, she had talent that she nurtured and prospered from and kept pushing herself. She was diverse, branching-out into acting and other artistic fields. She was VERY extremely business-savvy! She basically supported her family when she was just a child performing on TV in Knoxville. I'm not a huge fan of a lot of her music, but there are some songs that I really like. The best being:

Speaking of Jolene.

Jack White is killing it here! He's like a savant!

He got one wrong, however.

If you ever watch the Ken Burns/PBS "Country Music" multi-episode documentary, they feature her a lot. And, in one episode, they get into her career extensively, and that woman is just bad-ass. She was confident, she had talent that she nurtured and prospered from and kept pushing herself. She was diverse, branching-out into acting and other artistic fields. She was VERY extremely business-savvy! She basically supported her family when she was just a child performing on TV in Knoxville. I'm not a huge fan of a lot of her music, but there are some songs that I really like. The best being:
the joke was that Dolly had gotten extremely wealthy and her financial people had advised her to get in to supermarkets. So she bought the Big Star, Harris Teeter, and Piggly Wiggly chains. Called on to come up with a name for the new grocery store line, someone suggested 'BIG WIGGLY TEETERS'.

That actually didn't happen.

I respectfully disagree that Jolene was her best song. Her best song was this one. Her original is much more moving than the beautifully sung but sort of sterile cover that most people think of.

I have as much admiration for her as most but I still recognize that she made decisions in the interest of self-promotion that I don't really appreciate so much.

• Love
Neither Free, not Bad Company have been inducted, or even nominated.
Paul Rogers not being in the R&R HOF while many that have no business even being mentioned are, is one of the reasons I pay no attention to it. It's a bad joke, like most things are nowadays.

I'm not the only one that considers Rogers to be top 5, if not THE best rock and roll vocalist ever.

Kind of a weak class IMO, what do you think?

Kate Bush is on there because of Stranger Things, George Michael is meh, Missy had like 2 years of relevance, Cyndi had one smash but then completely fell off, White Stripes were never at the top of their own genre.

As with anything music, it's probably personal opinion but this group was never big for me.

P.S. Hot take - All Through the Night by Cyndi Lauper is a top 10 80s song.

White St

Kate Bush is on there because of Stranger Things, George Michael is meh, Missy had like 2 years of relevance, Cyndi had one smash but then completely fell off, White Stripes were never at the top of their own genre.

As with anything music, it's probably personal opinion but this group was never big for me.

White Stripes definitely belong. Iterations of 'Seven Nation Army' are everywhere and exemplify the band's influence on the music scene.

If not the band, then Jack White unquestionably.

George Michael? Gimme a fvcking break.

Definitely disagree that it's weak. Not as great as last year, but still pretty good. I also strongly disagree with your characterization of Missy's career. I think Kate Bush was nominated before the Stranger Things association, so that's not the reason.

How in the f*ck is Willie Nelson not already in? That's disrespectful.

My votes go to:

This entire Willie album is severely underrated.

Low End Theory is a top 10 rap album of all time.

I crushed that Live After Death album in middle school. Plus, their logo and designs are maybe the best ever in rock music.

Agree on this being Cindy's best.

Not a huge WS fan but they had some serious jams. This is probably my fav. Jack is musical savant.

Paul Rogers not being in the R&R HOF while many that have no business even being mentioned are, is one of the reasons I pay no attention to it. It's a bad joke, like most things are nowadays.

I'm not the only one that considers Rogers to be top 5, if not THE best rock and roll vocalist ever.
RRHOF gets worse every year.

Paul Rodgers is definitely in the top 5 of all rock vocalists. Free and Bad Company made great music.

• Love
Reactions: bluetoe

Freddie Mercury
Robert Plant
David Bowie
Chris Cornell
Ann Wilson
Paul and John
Axl Rose
Steve Perry
Bono
Darryl Hall
Steven Tyler
Elton John
Roger Daltry
Prince
Sting

I'm not saying all the above are better or worse. Just that's there's some serious competition for top 5 status here.

Love Burnin' Sky.

Freddie Mercury
Robert Plant
David Bowie
Chris Cornell
Ann Wilson
Paul and John
Axl Rose
Steve Perry
Bono
Darryl Hall
Steven Tyler
Elton John
Roger Daltry
Prince
Sting

I'm not saying all the above are better or worse. Just that's there's some serious competition for top 5 status here.

Love Burnin' Sky.
wait, Paul and John? Are you talking about those disciples of Jesus, because the other Paul and John don't belong on any short list of great rock singers. The others on your list aren't bad; but other than maybe Mercury, they don't belong in a top five with Paul Rogers, IMNSHO. Steve Marriot does, as well as IMO Chrissie Hynde. I'll add to these when I think of others.

ETA: I missed Ann Wilson on your list, she could maybe make it. Also I thought of Layne Staley, although his duo stuff with Jerry Cantrell is what makes theirs special. Remember this isn't best voice (like Steve Perry's) but best ROCK voice.

Reactions: strummingram
wait, Paul and John? Are you talking about those disciples of Jesus, because the other Paul and John don't belong on any short list of great rock singers. The others on your list aren't bad; but other than maybe Mercury, they don't belong in a top five with Paul Rogers, IMNSHO. Steve Marriot does, as well as IMO Chrissie Hynde. I'll add to these when I think of others.

ETA: I missed Ann Wilson on your list, she could maybe make it. Also I thought of Layne Staley, although his duo stuff with Jerry Cantrell is what makes theirs special. Remember this isn't best voice (like Steve Perry's) but best ROCK voice.
John maybe not, but Paul McCartney absolutely belongs on a short list. Even deaf people can listen to Hey Jude, Band on the Run, Maybe I'm Amazed, etc. etc. and understand this.

I think you're being difficult with this whole voice vs. rock voice. Steve Perry belongs on any list. He was the lead singer of a rock band and his voice is basically sent from heaven.

Slinger's list is very close to what my list would be as well. I'd add Gabriel and Ronstadt to it as well.

Fair. If you want to do best rock voice, Then sure, some of those might be eliminated. But Robert Plant and Mercury are in anyone’s top 5. Cornell, Axl, Wilson and Daltry all get consideration.

Steve Marriott is in the top 3. That dude had the quintessential raw rock'n'roll voice! Jimmy Page wanted him in Led Zeppelin but had to settle for Plant. That worked out well for him and LZ.

Humble Pie was just knock-you-out rockand-fvcking-roll!

He belted-out the best from the Small Faces until he died!

Reactions: bluetoe
Fair. If you want to do best rock voice, Then sure, some of those might be eliminated. But Robert Plant and Mercury are in anyone’s top 5. Cornell, Axl, Wilson and Daltry all get consideration.
sorry, not going along with Plant for top 5, but your list is mostly worthy of respect and consideration....except for that Paul and John thing.

Steve Marriott is in the top 3. That dude had the quintessential raw rock'n'roll voice! Jimmy Page wanted him in Led Zeppelin but had to settle for Plant. That worked out well for him and LZ.

Humble Pie was just knock-you-out rockand-fvcking-roll!

He belted-out the best from the Small Faces until he died!

I can see Marriot and Rogers going head-to-head on this for top spot. I absolutely love both of them. These tunes just stagger me....

ETA that to me it's a tragedy that Steve Marriot didn't become a huge star. Most people can't even tell you who he was.

I can see Marriot and Rogers going head-to-head on this for top spot. I absolutely love both of them. These tunes just stagger me....

ETA that to me it's a tragedy that Steve Marriot didn't become a huge star. Most people can't even tell you who he was.
Paul Rodgers was definitely more popular and successful, in terms of career. He had the good fortune of being in more popular bands. Thank Peter Grant for some of that (Zeppelin's manager).

Marriott's death was sad, too. Dying in a house fire!

Marriott lived in Atlanta, GA back in the 80s, I think. Cool side story about one of his guitars and Dan Baird (Georgia Satellites) :

John maybe not, but Paul McCartney absolutely belongs on a short list. Even deaf people can listen to Hey Jude, Band on the Run, Maybe I'm Amazed, etc. etc. and understand this.

I think you're being difficult with this whole voice vs. rock voice. Steve Perry belongs on any list. He was the lead singer of a rock band and his voice is basically sent from heaven.

Slinger's list is very close to what my list would be as well. I'd add Gabriel and Ronstadt to it as well.
"Steve Perry belongs on any list. He was the lead singer of a rock band and his voice is basically sent from heaven."

no doubt, and I acknowledged that. He was in a rock band, but his voice doesn't rock. See where I'm coming from? Most people would say that Chrissie Hynde has a terrible singing voice, but it would be hard to find a voice much more suited to front a rock band. PERFECT R&R vocals.

Steve Perry's voice is better than anyone I would put in my top five. But Steve Perry is not in my top 5 of rock vocals.

ETA; even Jesus wouldn't let Paul McCartney front for him. Good tunes don't equate to great vocals. You probably wouldn't want to hear the vocal tracks on the tunes you mentioned.

But I'll give you and Paul a nod in one of the few Beatles numbers that I REALLY like...

Last edited:
Paul Rodgers was definitely more popular and successful, in terms of career. He had the good fortune of being in more popular bands. Thank Peter Grant for some of that (Zeppelin's manager).

^^^^^ nice choice, great tune. I don't know music terminology, but there must be a term for dramatic key or pitch changes. He absolutely masters those, and without losing the authority of his voice.

Rod Stewart is another perfect rock'n'roll voice.

Led Zeppelin ripped-off the Jeff Beck Group (with Rod on vocals) as much as they ripped off black blues artists of the USA.

and, the Faces:

and, on his own:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT