ADVERTISEMENT

Roy v K

I completely agree about Roy's character being far and above k's. However I do see both sides on the issue of when to announce you are stepping down and coaches are in a no win situation. If he leaves as Roy did after season you risk losing the incoming recruits that signed to play for that coach and current players with the new transfer rules. If you announce ahead of time you are harming chances with upcoming recruits and the danger that signed guys opt for g league (fingers crossed Banchero does this ;)). If a coach knows he is stepping down does he lie to guys he is recruiting for the future?

I believe k's ego wants the adulation of a farewell tour but also think he didn't want to lie to guys in 22 or 23 classes. The fact that espn will make the entire season about him is not his fault as much as the networks. A retiring coach sees his loyalty split between his own personal situation, current players, incoming players, players being recruited and what's best for the program. There is no totally right way to do it. the closest was possibly the way Coach Smith did it (not surprising) but then he had a returning experienced team with an assistant known and respected by all to take the reins.

I will ignore as much of the k lovefest as possible but in trying to be impartial I really don't see a way for a coach who has achieved that much to step down without some criticism of how he did it

Dang! Every word of that is true and I feel myself trying to be objective......................
naw, he's a rat BASS Tard and did it for all the wrong reasons! Whew, that was close!

The fact that Roy didn’t need to take a victory tour vs the Rat that needs so much attention that he has Amazon subscription to hair dye speaks volumes. A rat by any other name is still a rat.
May I correct your post, should read, the fact that Dean nor Roy needed so much attention that they needed to take a victory lap...

Here is the thing, Dean and Roy both in their own way and for their own reasons, which I sincerely do believe were very similar reasons, concluded that the programs they ran would be better off with others in that role. WE all come to that point in life where we realize, I am not what I once was. Dean and Roy faced that question, their answers, no matter who else may see it other wise was that the program was in better position if they stepped aside. That is exactly what they did and they did so when they did because if they truely believed it was time for them to step away and that someone else could do the job better then now was the time to let that better begin, not delay the less than for another year.

K has decided to hang them up, in essence saying the same as Dean and Roy, others can run this program better than I can now. What BOTH Dean and Roy determined was that if they coached even 1 more season they believed that their team, their players would be getting less than they deserved because they could not give what they gave that made them HOF coaches.

But K, coming to the same conclusion that is was also time to step away, made the decision to know that he was not going to be able to give them what he used to be able to give his teams and his players but that he DESERVED to have a season of being worshipped by the media and his ego just needs to be stroked, no matter if his current team of players will not get the best they could be getting?

Sorry but that is selfish ego driven BS! If you are the guy for the job then there is no reason to step away, if you are not then there is every reason to step away now and let others that are more willing give your team of players what they deserve, great coaching.

K used to be a great coach, sorry but this is fact. But over the last several years he has relied on bought and paid for talent delivered to him and frankly, he has UNDER ACHIEVED with that mega talent. If K really didn't think he had the big time talent to make his team a favorite to make the final 4 at least, he would not take that victory lap but he needs one more trip around of ESPN smoke blown up us arse and that to me is nothing but selfish ego driven BULL CRAP!

Jesus,

Have you completed your Roy vs K over the past 10 years? Only you can do it justice my friend...

Reactions: Archer2
So objectively speaking, I think he's the most accomplished coach in the history of college basketball. He had five straight years in the final four with two titles. In that window, he had 7 final fours in 9 seasons, 2 titles, 3 runner ups. So he was in the title game in 5 of 9 seasons. Pretty absurd. I know it was a different time when dudes stayed 3-4 years, but that's still ridiculous in the modern 64+ team tournament.

Since 2003-04 (18 seasons), he's basically in line with all the great coaches since then.
K: 2 titles, 3 final fours, 6 elite 8's, 1 missed NCAAT
Roy: 3 titles, 5 final fours, 7 elite 8's, 2 missed NCAAT
Self: 1 title, 3 final fours, 8 elite 8's, 0 missed NCAAT
Cal: 1 title, 3 final fours, 8 elite 8's, 3 missed NCAAT

In Roy's UNC tenure, Roy outperforms him. K had more NCAAT clunkers. Typically, when Roy's teams were good, they were playing in the final four. K had more volatility in the NCAAT while Roy was at UNC. But it's not like the gap was ridiculous.

I'll also say this for the whole theory of underachieving in the tournament. It's been shown that winning championships with freshman-led teams is pretty difficult. There have been 2 teams whose freshman were the best players that won it all in the 1-and-done era? It's not something I put too much against him. But he decided to go that route, so if that's a criticism, I guess that's somewhat fair.

What I won't understand is that when Cal went 1-and-done recruiting, he was destroying the game. But when K did it, he was "perfecting" it. That was odd to me. They were doing the same exact thing and using the NBA as their main recruiting pitch. I don't know what the difference is. It's fair to say the media does protect K. But I think that's more layered than the media liking him. Access to Duke is the most important thing in college basketball media coverage. When you're dependent on access to them, you probably are going to be nicer to them. No offense to us or Kentucky... Duke brings in direct eyeballs during their games and ancillary eyeballs when they lose. No program gets the reaction they do and the media companies know that.

Also, I'm not disagreeing that K wants this retirement party. I don't know him well enough to say that's true or false. But it wouldn't surprise me if it's more layered than just his decision. Wouldn't surprise me if some media company gets an all-access pass and does a documentary series on this. That would only be possible if it was known he was coaching. It wouldn't surprise me if the NCAA requested for him to coach in this capacity knowing the attention it would get.

I'm going to get annoyed by it. Respect to Roy for just saying I'm done because the program is better off with a different coach, thanks and peace.

Again, I don't know if it was all of Coach K's call or not, but my gut tells me this is more layered than his ego. Might be a combination of his ego, plus a media company's, plus Mark Emmmert. All that equates to a really freaking annoying season of college basketball.

Side note. I worry for the game as a whole. The coaches are the stars of college basketball and all the greats have and will retire in quick succession. Something needs to change, or the regular season won't be sustainable. The tournament will always be great and with the legalization of sports betting, that thing ain't going anywhere. But I do wonder what the future of the game will be when the next generation of coaches fully takes over.

Last edited:
With very similar coaching resumés, it comes down to character and it really is that simple.
compare the way they've handled retirement. roy discreetly steps down at season's end to focus the spotlight on the new coach. k narcissistically announces before the season starts to ensure long, relentless attention on his "greatness." roy is a modest gentleman who cares most about the program. k is a shameless glory hound who cares about guess who.

Myself and others I know have all said K would announce his retirement beforehand like this. He wants every bit of praise he can get.
As far as comparing the two, I’ll gladly take three championships in his time here versus the two they had. Roy also had more final fours and acc regular season championships in that time. I’m good with that.

ADVERTISEMENT