ADVERTISEMENT

Running Backs for the '20 Season

Archer2

Hall of Famer
Aug 5, 2009
The Old North State
Here is the list of running backs we'll have on our roster next year. Correct me if I've missed any or gotten their years wrong.

SR Michael Carter
JR Javonte Williams
JR British Brooks
SO Josh Henderson
RFR Braxton Link
FR Elijah Green
FR DJ Jones

Now I think the tandem of Carter and Williams will be one of the best in the country and should be very prolific, providing our OL comes together. All the rest were 3* recruits I believe. In fact Javonte was a 3* too and he turned out to be great. So I'm hoping at least one more back will emerge from the pack and become our third option.

I'd love to see us sign Henderson out of Virginia as I'm sensing Pryor is OSU bound.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Mike and Javonte could legitimately be the best 1-2 punch in college football next year, if the offensive line plays well. I think that’s the most crucial unit for the season. If they perform well then that means our RBs and superstar QB will both get to shine. With a balanced offensive attack, and constant rotation of fresh legs at RB, we could put up 40, or even 50 points a game next year.

It seems now that Shipley is back in play. Is that partly because he thinks Pryor is going to be a Buckeye? Is it partly, primarily, because of the recent commitments? Drake Maye is apparently very well liked and respected by top players in NC.

I don't think Shipley can overcome Moo family ties to be a Tar Heel, but if would be very good to have at least 1 of the state's two top RBs in the class.

Reactions: Archer2
Wiltfong just put in a Crystal Ball today for Ohio State. So he's got both Henderson and Pryor going to OSU.

don’t think they get both. Maybe with the transfer portal they have more confidence to find out who’s the man and one can leave. Seems like OSU typically uses a workhorse back every year.

Pryor just committed so we'll see what Henderson does now.

Rumors are they will get the grade transfer from OK state, also they are high on the list for another 4* back. Not saying those elite kids are scared of competition but I would look around with that much competition.

hopefully Mack can lock up Henderson but I’m not sure he comes regardless. I think it puts a higher press on Boykin and Edwards.

Rumors are they will get the grade transfer from OK state, also they are high on the list for another 4* back. Not saying those elite kids are scared of competition but I would look around with that much competition.

hopefully Mack can lock up Henderson but I’m not sure he comes regardless. I think it puts a higher press on Boykin and Edwards.

You talking about Sermon from Oklahoma?

I wonder if the Heels have reached out to Ricky Slade from Penn State.

You talking about Sermon from Oklahoma?

I wonder if the Heels have reached out to Ricky Slade from Penn State.

yes, Oklahoma rb.

haven’t seen where the coaches are looking at a transfer but it’s possible. Have Javonte for 2 more years so hopefully Boykins and 1 more in his class. Maybe a more realistic pair would be Boykin and Edmonds. Henderson would be incredible.

yes, Oklahoma rb.

haven’t seen where the coaches are looking at a transfer but it’s possible. Have Javonte for 2 more years so hopefully Boykins and 1 more in his class. Maybe a more realistic pair would be Boykin and Edmonds. Henderson would be incredible.
How likely is it that Javonte will leave after his junior year? I’m a little worried that he may. We could lose him and Carter after this year.

How likely is it that Javonte will leave after his junior year? I’m a little worried that he may. We could lose him and Carter after this year.

hard to tell, certainly possible but I would expect him back. if he gets projected top 3 rds then he should go but I’m not sure he would be a top 3 rd talent if he came back and was the clear #1.

I also read that Hood May play RB, WR, or DB. He said if he couldn’t play QB, he’d rather play RB or WR. So he might be in the mix for RB as well.

Decent. South Carolina is still the front runner.

Seems to have picked up lately. I don’t think the staff was pressing to hard with him wanting to be an RB. Everyone thought Pryor was a sure thing, then pressed hard for Henderson, now that both are off the table, I think they put more focus on Edmonds.

All that could change if they think Shipley could commit. No disrespect to Edmonds but as far as rb, they just seem to be pressing hard for a couple guys which is understandable given Pryor, Shipley, and Henderson are 3 of the best rb’s in the country.

With Boykin and Hood who could both be rb’s they will probably only add 1 more.

Seems to have picked up lately. I don’t think the staff was pressing to hard with him wanting to be an RB. Everyone thought Pryor was a sure thing, then pressed hard for Henderson, now that both are off the table, I think they put more focus on Edmonds.

All that could change if they think Shipley could commit. No disrespect to Edmonds but as far as rb, they just seem to be pressing hard for a couple guys which is understandable given Pryor, Shipley, and Henderson are 3 of the best rb’s in the country.

With Boykin and Hood who could both be rb’s they will probably only add 1 more.

After seeing Hood the last few years in high school, think he would be a better DB than a RB, maybe even WR but we're pretty deep there. Boykins, in my mind, should be a RB and I believe that is what the staff thinks also. Edmonds and his pops had a great time at the Clemson game in addition to their recent trip to Chapel Thrill. He plays about 15 minutes from my house so I see him several times a year -- straight up baller, hope we get him. I say this because I just don't think we get Will. Rather put all the eggs in the basket and get Edmonds.

After seeing Hood the last few years in high school, think he would be a better DB than a RB, maybe even WR but we're pretty deep there. Boykins, in my mind, should be a RB and I believe that is what the staff thinks also. Edmonds and his pops had a great time at the Clemson game in addition to their recent trip to Chapel Thrill. He plays about 15 minutes from my house so I see him several times a year -- straight up baller, hope we get him. I say this because I just don't think we get Will. Rather put all the eggs in the basket and get Edmonds.

agree on Hood, I was basing that on an article that came out the other day of him saying he would play RB if needed but I thought he would be on the defense. The article actual said the Hood called Mack and told him he would play Rb if they needed him too. Same with Boykin, watched his tape and was expected a bunch of long runs but it was more of him laying the wood to people on defense. Still would expect Boykin to come in and start out at rb.

I think Edmonds eventually commits to UNC. Staff should turn up the heat a bit on him and his coach is a pro Carolina guy.

Shipley is the wild card but I don’t think he comes to UNC. Until he commits somewhere, you have to put a full press on him because he’s ridiculously talented.

Reactions: NBBears20124ACHAMPS
agree on Hood, I was basing that on an article that came out the other day of him saying he would play RB if needed but I thought he would be on the defense. The article actual said the Hood called Mack and told him he would play Rb if they needed him too. Same with Boykin, watched his tape and was expected a bunch of long runs but it was more of him laying the wood to people on defense. Still would expect Boykin to come in and start out at rb.

I think Edmonds eventually commits to UNC. Staff should turn up the heat a bit on him and his coach is a pro Carolina guy.

Shipley is the wild card but I don’t think he comes to UNC. Until he commits somewhere, you have to put a full press on him because he’s ridiculously talented.

Yes, his current coach is a big UNC guy. Doesn't hurt that UNC has a few guys from Havelock on the team also. I think his dad would prefer he stay close to home so he could make the easy trip to watch him play.

Reactions: jakeallen32
I would hope he's pro-Carolina given that he went to UNC

both of them are on the staff, right. I know Allen is the head coach but can’t remember if Brent was still on staff?

I hated when Allen left Greene Central, he did an amazing job turning that program around. But, my first thought when he went to Havelock was that UNC would have a firm grip on talent coming out of there.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
both of them are on the staff, right. I know Allen is the head coach but can’t remember if Brent was still on staff?

I hated when Allen left Greene Central, he did an amazing job turning that program around. But, my first thought when he went to Havelock was that UNC would have a firm grip on talent coming out of there.

Brent has been on it for a few years now, both are great guys. Thought Allen was gonna get a raw deal when the former Havelock Coach wanted to come back to Havelock but glad he's there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT