ADVERTISEMENT

SEC looks likely to gain OU and UT - ACC counter with basketball super conference?

UNC and UVA are a no brainer invite from the Big. GT could definitely be one as well since they somewhat fit the profile. duke doesn't really fit in the Big and assuming the Big stick with their profile they wouldn't get an invite, but they might get one just to entice us. My concern is that the politics of playing duke and moo keep us in a diminished ACC.
There's only 5 schools that quality for the BIG in the ACC. GT, DUKE,UNC, UVA, and Pitt. They would absolutely love to add a school as prestigious as Duke,. If they add Kansas next they could form a basketball super conference.

There's only 5 schools that quality for the BIG in the ACC. GT, DUKE,UNC, UVA, and Pitt. They would absolutely love to add a school as prestigious as Duke,. If they add Kansas next they could form a basketball super conference.
Not sure they would love it that much. All the Big schools are huge state schools that are football focused as well as the AAU thing. duke only fits the education part and in the age of super conferences, I don't think the AAU affiliation carries as much weight. They would probably get an invite, but they won't be a must for them. Kind of like Rutgers.

Not sure they would love it that much. All the Big schools are huge state schools that are football focused as well as the AAU thing. duke only fits the education part and in the age of super conferences, I don't think the AAU affiliation carries as much weight. They would probably get an invite, but they won't be a must for them. Kind of like Rutgers.
Yeah, I don't think the Big 10 would care at all about adding a school based on academic prestige. If the SEC expansion has taught us anything it's conferences care about 1 thing: football.

That's why I don't think it's as sure a bet as people on this thread are making it out to be that they would 'absolutely' add UNC. UNC is doing better in football, but isn't at the level that will draw attention. Frankly, Oklahoma State, KU, UNC, UVA, Duke and maybe one or two are all treading in the same general pool, whereas Clemson and Florida State have a level up on those schools. I hate saying it because I like CBB better than CFB, but really the realignment has had nothing at all to do with basketball in the past unless you are talking about a conference devolving to just basketball (Big East). It's a shame because CBB is still a major money maker and I think a conference would do well to focus on it since the marque of best football conference is now forever gone, but conferences are looking for the biggest dollar and that is the best and most consistent football program.

UNC and UVA are a no brainer invite from the Big. GT could definitely be one as well since they somewhat fit the profile. duke doesn't really fit in the Big and assuming the Big stick with their profile they wouldn't get an invite, but they might get one just to entice us. My concern is that the politics of playing duke and moo keep us in a diminished ACC.
If the politics of playing them keep us in a second tier conference, I'll be sick to my stomach. We can play dook in the non-con. Moo can play ECU in the non-con for all I care.

If the politics of playing them keep us in a second tier conference, I'll be sick to my stomach. We can play dook in the non-con. Moo can play ECU in the non-con for all I care.
Darn I’m old but I honestly think all these changes are really bad. I guess life moved on and changes occur all the time. Heck, I just looked at the Granville Towers web site and saw the different rooms available from the old sharing layout to separate rooms and even kitchenettes with dish washers! And to think I lived in a room just down the hall from many future NBA players who loved our living quarters despite sharing our room with 4 to a bathroom. Heck, my dorm room had the same square footage and sharing responsibilities as MJ himself. Made for tough but compromising developments towards maturity. But today, life has changed and passed me and some others behind. It’s not the beginning of the end. It’s the end of the end.

Darn I’m old but I honestly think all these changes are really bad. I guess life moved on and changes occur all the time. Heck, I just looked at the Granville Towers web site and saw the different rooms available from the old sharing layout to separate rooms and even kitchenettes with dish washers! And to think I lived in a room just down the hall from many future NBA players who loved our living quarters despite sharing our room with 4 to a bathroom. Heck, my dorm room had the same square footage and sharing responsibilities as MJ himself. Made for tough but compromising developments towards maturity. But today, life has changed and passed me and some others behind. It’s not the beginning of the end. It’s the end of the end.
Yeah, there seems to be very little loyalty here to the ACC or our traditional rivalries. It’s all about the money. Our whole country is in a free fall. Sports, as a microcosm of our society, just exemplifies that. I’m so glad I was born when I was.

Yeah, there seems to be very little loyalty here to the ACC or our traditional rivalries. It’s all about the money. Our whole country is in a free fall. Sports, as a microcosm of our society, just exemplifies that. I’m so glad I was born when I was.
I don't think anyone here wants to see the ACC go away. It's just a recognition of reality. You can either roll with it or complain about it. If you're multitalented like me, you can do both.

Reactions: gauchoheel
I can't even fathom the ACC losing any of the marquee programs. I'm old too, but it chaps my arse to even imagine being in any other conference, especially without: Wake, Moo, and puke!

I can't even fathom the ACC losing any of the marquee programs. I'm old too, but it chaps my arse to even imagine being in any other conference, especially without: Wake, Moo, and puke!
I agree but the universities are following the money and with NIL they have to be competing at the highest level to attract top talent. The super conference model in my mind is inevitable, just depends on if its 2 or 4. 32 teams total make the most sense. Small schools like Wake probably have no shot. State will struggle to get a seat (they just don't have following beyond outside of NC, n0 recent success on national level and those TV games showing empty seats in second half when the fans were back in the tailgating lots will bite them). If dook basketball drops off a lot post-k they may be in the boat with Wake.

I doubt the ncaa is around in 20 years. Football brings in the cash. Bet the ncaa would love to go back to around 1970 and work a deal to put together a football post season under their control.

I agree but the universities are following the money and with NIL they have to be competing at the highest level to attract top talent. The super conference model in my mind is inevitable, just depends on if its 2 or 4. 32 teams total make the most sense. Small schools like Wake probably have no shot. State will struggle to get a seat (they just don't have following beyond outside of NC, n0 recent success on national level and those TV games showing empty seats in second half when the fans were back in the tailgating lots will bite them). If dook basketball drops off a lot post-k they may be in the boat with Wake.

I doubt the ncaa is around in 20 years. Football brings in the cash. Bet the ncaa would love to go back to around 1970 and work a deal to put together a football post season under their control.
I am interested to see what happens to moo if the ACC breaks up. I think they either end up in the SEC or Conference USA. It really depends on how much the SEC wants to get into the NC market. The SEC will want us, but I think we would be Big 10 bound. So, does the SEC hold their nose and take the cows or do they just not worry about NC since Clemson is so close.

I am interested to see what happens to moo if the ACC breaks up. I think they either end up in the SEC or Conference USA. It really depends on how much the SEC wants to get into the NC market. The SEC will want us, but I think we would be Big 10 bound. So, does the SEC hold their nose and take the cows or do they just not worry about NC since Clemson is so close.
NC State goes Conference USA or AAC. No way I see either SEC or Big 10 wanting them. Same goes for Wake. I see a lot of the 'State' schools going small conference. You get the OU or UT, you don't worry about the Texas Tech or Ok State. Same goes for the less known schools for NC.

The way Mack Brown is reeling in the blue chippers,( yet another 4 star top 150 out of Illinois today, beat out the football blue bloods once again). UNC football looks ready to compete year in year out.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I hate the idea of super conferences. Y'all have touched on many of the positives and many of the negatives of such a move. Me, I hope we could do something beneficial to the original members of the ACC in any alignment.
And yes, Mack is recruiting "like no other" as a golf buddy would say.

I am sure state fans think the sec will call but I don't see that. Clemson gives sec the Charlotte market and state is second (or even 3rd draw in triangle) market. State can play ecu for down east bragging rights while wake and app play for the west.

OSU and Michigan make so much money in research grants through partnerships with the BIG. Those grants make football money look like a penny jar. I see the scenario where in 7-8 years where DOOK, GT,UNC, and UVA, go to the BIG.
This 1000%. At some point I think the SEC will swallow up some of the ACC and Big 12, while the Big Ten will swallow up the Pac 12 and the rest, including UNC, UVA, GT, and Dook. I really believe we will see 2 super conferences at some point.

Reactions: gauchoheel
So we would then replace 1 bloated bureaucracy with 2???!!! In this scenario the 2 bloated bureaucracies could have different sets of rules too! How in the name of goodness would this be better? Better to fix the one we have than create more IMO! Send the entire leadership of the NCAA to the scrap heap; reform it with smart people who actually know what they are doing; rewrite the rules and apply them with consistency; focus the entity on what it can actually police, athletic fairness; incorporate some 3rd party oversight; incorporate some financial transparency; institute real arbitration and voila!

So we would then replace 1 bloated bureaucracy with 2???!!! In this scenario the 2 bloated bureaucracies could have different sets of rules too! How in the name of goodness would this be better? Better to fix the one we have than create more IMO! Send the entire leadership of the NCAA to the scrap heap; reform it with smart people who actually know what they are doing; rewrite the rules and apply them with consistency; focus the entity on what it can actually police, athletic fairness; incorporate some 3rd party oversight; incorporate some financial transparency; institute real arbitration and voila!
No, the conferences would break away (at least for football) and do their own thing. They wouldn't have anything to do with the NCAA. The big boys are tired of being held back by the smaller schools.

Each conference would have to set up a governing body and then establish a set of rules. Otherwise, how do you hold 32-64 different universities accountable and how could you ensure they all played by the same rules. I was referring to this.

Each conference would have to set up a governing body and then establish a set of rules. Otherwise, how do you hold 32-64 different universities accountable and how could you ensure they all played by the same rules. I was referring to this.
It would be set up as it is now. A conference reporting to a central authority for everyone. It would be their version of the NCAA, but just a version that works for them. So, more football scholarships, quicker resolution of violations, playoff setup, etc. What the big guys want to do is sometimes impossible for small schools to do.

It would have to be much closer to how the NCAA is governed than how an individual conference is if you multiply the membership by 3-4! + the conferences have just as little transparency in their decisions as the NCAA!

It would have to be much closer to how the NCAA is governed than how an individual conference is if you multiply the membership by 3-4! + the conferences have just as little transparency in their decisions as the NCAA!
Not really. The problem that the conferences have now is the small schools have more power than they want to give them. The haves can do whatever they want. Can they add 15 more scholarships? Yep. Pay the players a salary? No problem. Set up a playoff system without reserving a spot for small schools? Without a doubt. These are things a lot of the big schools want to do, but they can't because of the small schools. It would also be easier to manage because the number of schools would be a lot smaller. You're looking at a number in the 60 range. not the 120+ it is now.

I guess we will see! I don't trust conference decision makers any more than I trust the NCAA! Keep in mind, many of the NCAA leaders are current or former conference leaders! I still believe they would need some type of bureaucracy if they multiply the membership by up to four times!

I guess we will see! I don't trust conference decision makers any more than I trust the NCAA! Keep in mind, many of the NCAA leaders are current or former conference leaders! I still believe they would need some type of bureaucracy if they multiply the membership by up to four times!
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it would be a good thing. Just saying that's their ultimate goal, or at least that's what experts and people on the inside think it is. Personally, I think the best possible outcome at this point is for the football programs break off and create something like that and leave the other sports as is. It wouldn't be much different than the relationship ND has with the ACC. It's too late to stop it for football. It's not too late for the other sports.

This 1000%. At some point I think the SEC will swallow up some of the ACC and Big 12, while the Big Ten will swallow up the Pac 12 and the rest, including UNC, UVA, GT, and Dook. I really believe we will see 2 super conferences at some point.

Spot on what is probably going to happen. First and foremost people need to get the basketball out of their heads and realize conference realignment is all about FOOTBALL $$$. SEC and Big Ten are in the drivers seat to add members and be the two conferences left standing when this is all over. The ACC without getting Notre Dame into the conference for football and all sports, is dead for all intensive purposes as a Power Conference. Problem with the ACC is the Big Ten and SEC get $20 mil more than each team in the ACC. ACC is stuck with a bad TV deal that is way behind those two conferences. How does expanding (excluding ND) change the numbers? It does not only makes the money difference even worse as you are not sharing revenue among more teams.

I just heard something interesting…. It’s long been thought that due to the grant of rights within the ACC that no school would be able to leave before 2036. Apparently over the course of the last 24 months there have been two schools that have been looking into this, to find out a way around this and apparently they may have. Those two schools are North Carolina and Virginia. There’s obviously mutual interest between these schools and the Big Ten.

UNC and UVa to the Big 10 has been discussed since the first major conference expansions. Those two school check all the boxes for the conference. There is not a contract written that is ironclad if the checkbook is big enough. If that happened the SEC would grab Clemson and FSU in a heartbeat. I hope it doesn't happen in my lifetime but honestly it is not "if" that happens anymore...

ADVERTISEMENT