ADVERTISEMENT

"Secret" Scrimmage highlights...

Bacot looked awesome!
Rj and Caleb seemed to be in attack mode, I like it.
Manek can score from anywhere on the court.
Tough schedule out of conference, and I think they’ll take some lumps, but very excited about this team, and definitely believe they have the talent to make it through the first weekend of March

Bacot looked awesome!
Rj and Caleb seemed to be in attack mode, I like it.
Manek can score from anywhere on the court.
Tough schedule out of conference, and I think they’ll take some lumps, but very excited about this team, and definitely believe they have the talent to make it through the first weekend of March
On paper, they have the “talent” to make it much further than that.

Many times, I feel I’m in the minority, but I never put stock into winning or losing a scrimmage. I’ve seen teams look amazing in scrimmages only to be very bad in actual games and vice Versa

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I didn't know RJ had a floater.
Especially since he shoots (or attempts) about 4 or 5 layups a game in amongst the trees that don’t even seem to hit the backboard; they just kind of “go upward”. He just tosses them up in prayer mode (Love “shoots” 2 or 3 of these a game too) and you just wait and see who comes away with the ball…. Always wondered when a coach would teach them this is not HS ball, and they’d need a floater once they got in the paint. Maybe Love got one too?!

Just read that one of the "surprises" was that RJ played the majority of the time at the point with Love playing off the ball.

It’s not like Florida is a projected final 4 team or a threat to win the championship, so we should all hope we didn’t lose this game with or without Garcia. I realize this is a scrimmage and the coaches are focused on improvement but there is no reason not to throttle this Florida team if we are the talented team I hope we are.

Manek and Bacot getting after it on the boards.
RJ looking good. Caleb looking smooth off the ball.
Granted in he video we see alot of the Heels, to me, as a team, we looked faster up & down court.
Could be a real fun bunch to watch.

So did we lose or just not keep score?
My source said that Florida won the 1st half and we won the second. I think Gary mentioned that we kinda stumbled out of the gate in the 1st half, and we managed to pull it all together in the second half with Love hitting 5- 3's I was told. Unofficially we shot 43% from 3 for the game or thereabouts, and 47% overall, I believe.

Heard Florida won first half and UNC won second half. Game ended 78-78. Then both teams handled specific game situations after that and UNC finished a few points ahead in final results.

I didn't know RJ had a floater.
It was the thing that impressed me most when I watched him in HS. It was obvious he wasn't going to be able to go all the way to the basket against trees in the ACC so it was nice to see him pull up with the floater from 6-8 feet out, even in HS when he could get to the rim.

You'll see it more this season.

For those saying the internet rumors of us winning 94-79 are false, please tell us the info you received and who gave you your information. If not, I will continue to believe the general consensus that we won, 94-79.

@Steat
@gary-7
Gosh. A controversy over the score of the secret scrimmage already on the board. Doesn’t speak well for a united front this season. And I thought everyone was going to along this year! 😱

Now that is some serious bball fandom! Our group is willing to argue over the secret scrimmage stats.....beat that Semesterhood or NBA Pitstop Loosely Affiliated Kentuckians (NPLAK)!

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
Nice effort on the boards. Loved the way we hustled back on defense after made baskets, something we haven’t always done the last couple of years. I hope we don’t go overboard shooting treys, looks like it will be a significant part of our offense. Spacing looked pretty good, the lane was less congested. Going to be an interesting year. Just want to see everyone get healthy!

I mean, if you're going to tell the board something - such as we lost on a last second shot - then why would you not say how you obtained that information? Were you there? Did someone who was there tell you? If so, who was that? Or are we going to be all weird and act like their source is Deep Throat or something?

I mean, if you're going to tell the board something - such as we lost on a last second shot - then why would you not say how you obtained that information? Were you there? Did someone who was there tell you? If so, who was that? Or are we going to be all weird and act like their source is Deep Throat or something?
I saw the movie. It was great! (Oh, you meant that Watergate thing. My bad)

Is Hbert going to allow sweatband? I think Roy hated them. Wasn't Ty the last to wear one on court?

Now that is some serious bball fandom! Our group is willing to argue over the secret scrimmage stats.....beat that Semesterhood or NBA Pitstop Loosely Affiliated Kentuckians (NPLAK)!
Yeah this! This wasn't a game, the point of these scrimmages is to run a few line up combinations and see what combinations fit, work on some newly installed stuff, and to just go against different opponents who don't see you every day in practice. It is more about winning sections than winning an over all game. A scrimmage is a more coaches controlled thing than a game, its why many coaches prefer to do 1 of these secret scrimmages and 1 exhibition game. You put your players in a challenging situation in these scrimmages just to see if they can execute what you want and you want those challenging situations to be harder for them than a game like atmosphere would be. What team scored the over all more points really doesn't matter, execution in the sections is the key point they are working on, in a game what matters is the final score.

WE are all so excited but I think a touch more reserved for this season to finally get under way, to see how this new grouping of players will gel. I know personally, I want to see if team can develop a killer instinct, that group of sharks smelling blood in the water mindset. I want to see if this team can find a way to be the constant predator rather that at times over the last couple years looking to often like the prey. You do that by consistently coming out ready to attack from the opening tip, by putting pressure on the opponents early and keep it on until the final buzzer. WE have not had that strong consistent early game intensity level the last couple years and we need to re-discover it!

Finally had time to watch.

Team looks tough, athletic, skilled, and they love to share the ball! The spacing, rebounding, passing, and hustle are off the charts! We will be a vastly improved shooting team and clearly will be able to bring waves of fresh peeps off the bench! Manek and Bacot sharing the ball; scrapping for rebounds; and both shooting on all three levels will really make us hard to guard! RJ and Caleb passing effectively and exploding on breaks and through openings will be a problem! When Garcia, Styles, and Puff get up to speed we will be very hard to plan for! Probably will go at least 10 deep until at least ACC time and the surprise might be we expand not contract the bench!

Tar Heels are back and NCAA better put on their collective big boy pants!

“to see how this new grouping of players will gel.”

I really hope this season the Tar Heels gel together and always play with respect towards each other. Much what I want from this board. (Oh well, it’s always good to have a positive mental attitude no matter the long odds.) 👍

Steat can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the score he posted came from a UF board. The slight correction I posted came from a more direct source.

Sorry if it upsets you, but FYI both staffs agreed to keep a tight lid on stats/score/etc (I'm not sure why, but that's the way it was handled). Thus, a source being revealed for the sake of appeasing curiosity would compromise that person's future access. I passed on some info to the board. I would hope that would be sufficient.

Steat can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the score he posted came from a UF board. The slight correction I posted came from a more direct source.

Sorry if it upsets you, but FYI both staffs agreed to keep a tight lid on stats/score/etc (I'm not sure why, but that's the way it was handled). Thus, a source being revealed for the sake of appeasing curiosity would compromise that person's future access. I passed on some info to the board. I would hope that would be sufficient.
It is sufficient. People can believe or disbelieve as they will.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT