ADVERTISEMENT

Should Coach Williams try to get another mid week game

IDUNK4HEELS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
kernersville nc
I have mixed emotions about that possibility especially since Carolina has a quick turnaround and plays Syracuse tomorrow at the Carrier Dome which means there will be a five day break until UNC welcomes Duke to town for senior day next Saturday and personally I do not like that long of a break but playing an additional game is something to think about.

Coach Williams the last couple of weeks said he would like to get the team as many home games as possible and since CLEMSON has refused to come to the Dean Dome because they are paper Tigers away from home I think the opportunity to squeeze in another game should be considered.

On the other hand with the win yesterday UNC probably has now guaranteed that they will be dancing somewhere in March so the need for more wins is not a big need now. Also the extra time off would give Carolina a great chance to focus on Duke and mentally get ready for the ACC TOURNAMENT.

Coach Williams as we all know is very competitive and I would not be surprised if he can find another team to come to the Dean Dome on Wednesday or Thursday but you can bet Marquette will not be asked to come back.

This is a pondering question that Coach Williams and his staff have to consider while on the plane to New York.

What do you guys think the team should do?

Reactions: TheGLOV
It seems that they need to put some emphasis on their studies. I was all for scheduling marquette. Frankly, I don't think they beat florida state without the wakeup call against marquette. If uncg or davidson or a similar team wanted to play in chapel hill, and it didn't take any more time than a practice, I would say fine. I would be shocked if it happens

Just a feeling, no additional games. IF we had won last weeks added game it may have been a possibility, but now seems not to be worth the risk as much as everyone wants more games. Focus will be after ‘Cuse to prepare for Duke.

I have mixed emotions about that possibility especially since Carolina has a quick turnaround and plays Syracuse tomorrow at the Carrier Dome which means there will be a five day break until UNC welcomes Duke to town for senior day next Saturday and personally I do not like that long of a break but playing an additional game is something to think about.

Coach Williams the last couple of weeks said he would like to get the team as many home games as possible and since CLEMSON has refused to come to the Dean Dome because they are paper Tigers away from home I think the opportunity to squeeze in another game should be considered.

On the other hand with the win yesterday UNC probably has now guaranteed that they will be dancing somewhere in March so the need for more wins is not a big need now. Also the extra time off would give Carolina a great chance to focus on Duke and mentally get ready for the ACC TOURNAMENT.

Coach Williams as we all know is very competitive and I would not be surprised if he can find another team to come to the Dean Dome on Wednesday or Thursday but you can bet Marquette will not be asked to come back.

This is a pondering question that Coach Williams and his staff have to consider while on the plane to New York.

I want to see this team play a mid week game. They shouldn't let last weeks result keep them from striving to get better. Teams play games to build momentum, and this team needs to string together multyple positive games to gain that edge going into post season. We just need to WIN that mid week game as we should have won the Marquette game. I don't think the players will allow a similar let down this time.

Just a feeling, no additional games. IF we had won last weeks added game it may have been a possibility, but now seems not to be worth the risk as much as everyone wants more games. Focus will be after ‘Cuse to prepare for Duke.
Yeah. With the FSU win we're fairly solid from a tourney standpoint. A bad loss would make things more questionable though. I think it only makes sense if you can get a pretty good team to come on Wednesday (where a loss won't hurt too much) but 4 games in 7 days in a lot and I want to beat dook most of all.

In a word: No

There has been talk of making up the Clemson home game. I guess that's up to them.

Yeah. With the FSU win we're fairly solid from a tourney standpoint. A bad loss would make things more questionable though. I think it only makes sense if you can get a pretty good team to come on Wednesday (where a loss won't hurt too much) but 4 games in 7 days in a lot and I want to beat dook most of all.
Yeah, it could run both ways if we didn't take care of business. One one hand you don't want a loss messing things up, but on the other, ACC seeding is at stake if we need to play ourselves into the double-bye a game could help. All that said, 4 games in 7 days is a lot to ask of the guys.

Reactions: gauchoheel
These kids play 3-4 games in a day at some AAU tourneys. They can handle 4 in a week! I want to play games because every minute of live action brings them closer to their potential! But I'm happy with closing the regular season with winning at 'Cuse and puke! Hopefully, the boys can bottle the 2nd half play and do it for 40 minutes for 2 games!

It would be three games in one week. Four games in eight days
Right. What people have said about AAU tourneys is true, and technically teams will need to play 3-5 games in 3-5 days in ACC tourney, so it should be doable, especially since no travel for the last two regular season games would be required of UNC, say if a game were worked in on Thursday at DES.

Right. What people have said about AAU tourneys is true, and technically teams will need to play 3-5 games in 3-5 days in ACC tourney, so it should be doable, especially since no travel for the last two regular season games would be required of UNC, say if a game were worked in on Thursday at DES.
If we win today, I don't see a lot of upside in playing another game. On AAU, two questions:

1. Are they playing 40 min games, with starters getting 30?
2. Is the intensity anywhere near the ACC?

Please don’t. The less we have to watch whatever this is the better. Plus they seem to play better when they don’t have games too close together.. I think.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT