ADVERTISEMENT

Should have gone for it instead of settling for a field goal

randman1

All-American
Mar 22, 2005
But with Mack, that's what you get. He's still building a winning program. Just don't expect the best in-game decisions.

We looked better. The D did particularly. We have talent.

Need Caleb Hood to come back healthy or another power back that consistently gets extra yardage after contact.

The O-line needs to get better but if they do and the defense progresses, we could be a pretty good team next season.

No way you go for it on 4th and 12 when he has no time to pass. Bigger issue was randomly using timeouts. If we had timeouts at the end we could have saved some time for the offense to get in fg range.

No way you go for it on 4th and 12 when he has no time to pass. Bigger issue was randomly using timeouts. If we had timeouts at the end we could have saved some time for the offense to get in fg range.
We passed on both 2nd and 3rd downs, stopping the clock for Oregon and allowing it keep its TOs. Not wise choices. We were then battling the clock as much as Oregon. What we did was give Oregon the ball with 2:29 and all three TOs. If we had run on both downs and Oregon had called 1 TO, then the Ducks would've gotten the ball back with about 1:50 on the clock and with 2 TOs.

I think those differences could have kept Oregon out of the end zone.

And yes, we need to have saved at least 1 TO.

Reactions: randman1
The timeout thing was definitely an issue. We almost assuredly could have gotten another play or two with a timeout. This staff has been horrible at time management, though.

Talking about the previous drive.

Knowing the inevitable, yes we should've gone for it on 4th and 3 yards from the goal-line rather than kick the FG.

Sure making the FG means the opponent is forced to go for a TD rather than a FG, for our D that's meaningless. Given the last decade, if UNC is up by less than 7 with 2 mins remaining we're going to lose. So a FG gave us nothing.

That notebook Sparky flips thru might have metrics that could apply generally, but they should be thrown during crunch-time due to who we are.

If we were playing not to lose on that next to last dive then we should've run the damn ball on 2nd and 3rd. We either burn more clock or force oregon to use two timeouts. Allowing them 2:29 and all 3 timeouts with a 6 point lead was a recipe for disaster with our defense.

If they were stressed by the clock and lack of timeouts maybe we get lucky and they make a mistake like Miami did at the end.

yeah, so i’m rewatching and i still think you go for it on the 2 yd line…especially considering the message you’ve been sending this entire mack 2.0 era…kinda had some momentum as well on defense so if you don’t get in they have it on their own two.

the next oregon drive, on the td pass, biggers is standing right there for a pick or deflection…i’ve been super hard on him all year, but g-d man, you gotta be more aware in those moments…and boykins is peeling off coverage to help cavazos for some reason.

If we were playing not to lose on that next to last dive then we should've run the damn ball on 2nd and 3rd. We either burn more clock or force oregon to use two timeouts. Allowing them 2:29 and all 3 timeouts with a 6 point lead was a recipe for disaster with our defense.

If they were stressed by the clock and lack of timeouts maybe we get lucky and they make a mistake like Miami did at the end.
We go for it and imo, whether we make it or not, best they are gonna do is tie the game and then it's overtime. They'd have bad field position and not a lot of time.

Yeah, just poor coaching.
I think with better in-game decisions and adjustments, we'd be 11-3 rather than 9-5. We should have won the Oregon game, imho, and I think we'd have picked up another win among our earlier losses.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT