ADVERTISEMENT

SI on hottest names on coaching carousel

I saw a headline: Shoop to Starkville.

And my first thought was Miss St fans would get predictable play calling.

Then I read it, and Bob Shoop is going to be the Miss St DC. That is a very good hire by Moorhead.

Oregon promoting co-offensive coordinator Mario Cristobal to head coach. Definitely a surprise hire.

Oregon promoting co-offensive coordinator Mario Cristobal to head coach. Definitely a surprise hire.
I thought Cristobal was an up and comer when he worked a miracle at FIU. But he stepped back to an assistant.

He is back to up and comer.

Former La Tech and Cal coach Sonny Dykes said to be top candidate to replace Morris at SMU.

Does that mean that Sonny Cumbie is waiting on a P5 HC job? Or that SMU does not want him if it vna land Dykes and his HC experience?

I think Dykes is a little overrated as a head coach. I don't think he ever won more than 7-8 games while at Cal.

I think Dykes is a little overrated as a head coach. I don't think he ever won more than 7-8 games while at Cal.
1 bowl team in 4 seasons at Cal. His 2016 team was 5-7.

That means that the Cal team that Fedora lost to this year - at Home - was coming off only 1 winning season over the previous 5 and had a new coaching staff.

Sonny Dykes is likely getting extra love because of his dad. The family ties mean he has coaching ties all over TX. Those could pay off at SMU in putting together a staff deeply grounded in TX and in recruiting TX.

Any coach recruiting in Texas will have an uphill climb trying to complete with Herman at UT.

Any coach recruiting in Texas will have an uphill climb trying to complete with Herman at UT.
The SMU situation is unique. SMU is in the AAC, not the Big 12. That means you know you are not shooting for the 5* or even high 4* TX recruits. You are after the best 3* recruits you can land.

Plus, SMU is very preppy in the TX way. TCU is much more a non-preppy private school.

Technically, SMU is not in Dallas, but in University Park, which is a wealthy incorporated small town. South of campus is Highland Park, a small town which is even richer than University Park. SMU coaches much be able to sell the SMU experience to football players.

My personal top 3.

1. Frost - Nebraska
2. Mullen - UF
3. Taggert - FSU

Kelly brings a lot of baggage to UCLA. Not sure if Jimbo would have same recruiting success in Texas competing with Herman at UT.

I don't even think FAU thinks he will be there that long. My guess is the reason they did it was to add in a hefty buyout fee for when he does leave.
Probably so. Kiffin is rewarding FAU that way for giving him the job.

Of course, there are idiots all across the country - and UNC's fan base is not immune - who would raise a major ruckus against their school thinking about hiring Kiffin. We had a rather large group that was ready to leave scorched earth if we hired Gus Malzahn.

Probably so. Kiffin is rewarding FAU that way for giving him the job.

Of course, there are idiots all across the country - and UNC's fan base is not immune - who would raise a major ruckus against their school thinking about hiring Kiffin. We had a rather large group that was ready to leave scorched earth if we hired Gus Malzahn.
I agree that Kiffin probably would never be hired at UNC thanks to a vocal minority of people, but I would have no problem with it.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
I've said before I would approve Kiffin coming here. I think he would do really well and would at least have a chance to stay long term.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I've said before I would approve Kiffin coming here. I think he would do really well and would at least have a chance to stay long term.
My guess is that Kiffin's issues with various people over the years are due to his being 'Aspergery.'

Most of rankings I've seen have Herm at or very near the bottom. I'm not a big fan of the hire, but I hope he does well.

I wouldn't put Kelly at # 1 but I agree with most of the list.
He could be flat after sitting out after being mediocre in the NFL. But UCLA needs a splashy name to compete with SC, and Kelly was the most splashy they could hope to land.

He could be flat after sitting out after being mediocre in the NFL. But UCLA needs a splashy name to compete with SC, and Kelly was the most splashy they could hope to land.
It can be a really good hire if he keeps the program clean and doesn't cause any problems with the NCAA. He's definitely a better college coach than in the NFL.

ESPN reporting that LSU will part ways with OC Matt Canada after the bowl game.

Former Florida State DC Charles Kelly joining the coaching staff at Tennessee.

ESPN reporting that LSU will part ways with OC Matt Canada after the bowl game.
Canada did a very good job at Pitt. Perhaps the LSU situation simply is going to take more than 1 season to right. After all, under Miles the LSU offense for years was little more than assuming it could out-athlete the foes.

Canada knows the ACC well enough that he could make an impact for somebody.

Canada did a very good job at Pitt. Perhaps the LSU situation simply is going to take more than 1 season to right. After all, under Miles the LSU offense for years was little more than assuming it could out-athlete the foes.

Canada knows the ACC well enough that he could make an impact for somebody.
There were reports during the season that he had in-game disagreements with Coach O

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT