ADVERTISEMENT

SI on hottest names on coaching carousel

I'm a little surprised Venables didn't get more consideration for HC openings this year. I don't think Clemson would have had the same success over the past 3-4 years without him.

I'm a little surprised Venables didn't get more consideration for HC openings this year. I don't think Clemson would have had the same success over the past 3-4 years without him.
I wonder about Kansas St. Snyder is certainly at retirement age. And no K-St booster wants a repeat of Ron Prince, who then was said to have had the blessing of Snyder to replace him. And now Snyder has made it clear that he wants his son to replace him this time.

How do you say NO to the only coach in school history who ever amounted to a quarter of anything?

I assume that a group of boosters have banded together and come up with a name that can still unify the fan base even knowing that Bill Snyder wanted his son to replace him. Brent Venables may be the only choice. He is a KS native and K-St grad who played for Snyder and was an assistant coach under Snyder.

Venables would a solid choice for Kansas State. I also like him for the Heels if Fedora leaves. Venables or Norvell would have the chance to do well in Chapel Hill.

Reactions: mosesm
Mississippi State hires former Packers assistant Luke Getsy as offensive coordinator.

There are strong rumors that Arkansas will land John Chavis as DC. That would be a huge hire for Morris.

I agree, this would be a great hire.
The 'Old Home Day' for a certain set of Vols fans was to hire Cutcliffe as HC, who would hire Chavis as DC and Tee Martin as OC. And then Peyton Manning would agree to be a voluntary QB coach.

Reactions: MWHeels
Well, that opens a P5 job for a coach that would love to walk into a situation with an experienced QB who runs more than his RB.

It's probably not one of the more attractive P5 jobs, but it could be a nice stepping stone position for young coach.

I'm surprised he's still on the market. I figured he would have already landed somewhere by now.

I think a lot of schools are looking for spread offense coaches now. That's clearly not Miles. I think he is still a good coach and can do well at Arizona if he's hired.

I think a lot of schools are looking for spread offense coaches now. That's clearly not Miles. I think he is still a good coach and can do well at Arizona if he's hired.
What I'd like to know is if Miles has learned anything from his ultimate failure at LSU?

He knocked recruiting out of the park, on both sides of the ball. Year after year. He sent a lot of guys to the NFL. He won many games - at least 8 every year at LSU that he finished. In a very unique scenario, he got to play for and win a National Championship.

But his assessments of QBs, to recruit and to play, and how to use them, would get him fired. QB was the one position that failed him.

The Pac is a much more wide open, wild offense league than the SEC. Dull Les Miles QBs will not go over there.

He will have a decent QB to start with in Khalil Tate. From what I heard, he's a better runner than passer, so that may work well for Miles.

Another point about Miles and Arizona. His recruiting ability will definitely be put to the test. He won't have access to nearly as much in-state elite prospects that he had while at LSU. But at Arizona, 8-10 wins per year is probably all their boosters and fans will ask for so he may do well there.

Another point about Miles and Arizona. His recruiting ability will definitely be put to the test. He won't have access to nearly as much in-state elite prospects that he had while at LSU. But at Arizona, 8-10 wins per year is probably all their boosters and fans will ask for so he may do well there.
True. At Arizona, you have to beat the rest of the Pac for CA talent as well as AZ talent. It is far easier to recruit to LSU, the only P5 team in a state that per capita turns out as much NFL talent as TX or FL.

There's no Alabama in the PAC 12 though

True, but it will still be tough to pull the elite CA kids from USC and UCLA with Kelly. LSU is a big name football program whereas Arizona isn't anything close to that.

True, but it will still be tough to pull the elite CA kids from USC and UCLA with Kelly. LSU is a big name football program whereas Arizona isn't anything close to that.
Correct. AZ St has more football history than Arizona and averages more fans per game. Historically, the Wildcats are the #2 football program in AZ. They are not going to out-recruit SC and UCLA, not even with as proven a recruiter as Les Miles.

we wanna talk about fedora and the admin giving him a blank check to hire dudes, lsu is now paying aranda $2.5 million to coach up that d.

Former ND assistant Mike Elko has agreed to become the new defensive coordinator on Jimbo's Texas A&M staff.

Under the heading Coordinators Moving: Mich St co-DC Harlon Barnett is headed to FSU.

Barnett is a Mich St grad, and has worked under Dantonio since he was at Cincinnati.

So why is he heading to Tallahassee? Alums usually prefer to stay put unless they get a nice promotion.

Arizona hires Kevin Sumlin.
I wonder if that will please Tate?

Sumlin had a world of advantages at A&M: amazing talent in TX; HUGE school; facilities as good as anyone in the country; the Longhorns on a downward slide. But he could not get as much over the hump as the Aggies felt they'd paid for.

What do Arizona fans expect, and can Sumlin deliver that in a division that now has Chip Kelly at UCLA?

Add a defense that will only give up 8-10 points a game and you have a pretty good idea who the next NC will be.

Mike Locksley has been promoted to the Offensive Coordinator position at Alabama. I wonder if this means Hugh Freeze will not be joining their staff this year.

UNC's DB coach Terry Joseph has reportedly been hired to coach safeties at Notre Dame. He was at UNC for less than a year.
If he's interviewing at Bama and Notre, he's a good coach and I'd blame secondary woes largely but not entirely on personnel.

Not saying he's a bad coach, just didn't seem to excel here. Might do great at a school with 4 and 5*s but we need someone who can coach up 3 and 4*s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT