ADVERTISEMENT

SI on hottest names on coaching carousel

Might do great at a school with 4 and 5*s but we need someone who can coach up 3 and 4*s.

riverswe or Woad, not trying to be argumentative, but please explain - regarding fundamentals of defense, technique in coverage, tackling, play recognition, angles, etc, how is it that a position coach could coach 4* athletes but not 3*?

He got his start at Lousiana Tech - which does not get 4*. So how do go from doing well with low-star to being bad with low-star guys?

Fair point blazers, the fundamentals should be the same no matter the athlete and *s. But here's my thinking. I think some coaches are better at teaching fundamentals and some are better at honing those skills when they already exist. Some coaches believe they have progressed to the point where they should no longer primarily be teaching such fundamentals. And I have never fully bought into experience at lower levels being 100% applicable to higher levels. Not knocking LA Tech but not sure it's completely relevant. Also, D line play has an impact on DB play - something we haven't discussed. JMO

Fair point blazers, the fundamentals should be the same no matter the athlete and *s. But here's my thinking. I think some coaches are better at teaching fundamentals and some are better at honing those skills when they already exist. Some coaches believe they have progressed to the point where they should no longer primarily be teaching such fundamentals. And I have never fully bought into experience at lower levels being 100% applicable to higher levels. Not knocking LA Tech but not sure it's completely relevant. Also, D line play has an impact on DB play - something we haven't discussed. JMO
That makes sense. We'll never know, but from what i've read, I doubt Terry Joseph has given up on the fundementals. There are plenty of 4* who play tons of different positions, are 4* because they're freak athletes with the right size and right motors, but still need to be coached-up.

Valid point blazers. Seems like DBs either have a nose for the ball or they don't. Make good reads and good breaks - probably hard to teach. Also think kids either like to hit or don't and it's hard to change. Maybe he was looking for his next job when he came.

Shane Beamer is leaving UGA for OU. Chris Low says Beamer will be assistant HC for offense and TE coach: "In his new role at Oklahoma, Beamer will be involved with head coach Lincoln Riley in preparing the offensive game plan and will also coach tight ends and H-backs."

If Beamer is angling to be HC before too long, becoming Lincoln Riley's top helper is a great move.

My guess is that Beamer is hoping to arrange things so that he becomes VT HC when Fuente leaves.

Sounds like Kevin Wilson is no long calling plays. Ryan Day will handle those. So he kinda got demoted?

Sounds like Kevin Wilson is no long calling plays. Ryan Day will handle those. So he kinda got demoted?
'Kinda' is indeed the best way to phrase it. Wilson did not get demoted in title or salary, but in losing that power, he is effectively demoted.

Meyer did it because Ryan Day is seen by many as a hot, younger up-and-comer, and Meyer wants to retain him for the future. Meyer would have seen the scenario as either lose Day or promote Day and risk losing Wilson.

UNC should be all over Wilson.

Ohio St offense rankings in the Big Ten for 2017

Tied for 1st (with PSU) in scoring offense - 41.1 points per game

1st in Total Offense - 506 yards per game

1st in Rushing offense - 243.2 yards per game

4th in Passing offense - 262.8 yards per game

1st in Passing Efficiency - 160.2

Ohio St offense rankings in the Big Ten for 2017

Tied for 1st (with PSU) in scoring offense - 41.1 points per game

1st in Total Offense - 506 yards per game

1st in Rushing offense - 243.2 yards per game

4th in Passing offense - 262.8 yards per game

1st in Passing Efficiency - 160.2

Seems like Meyer is crediting Ryan Day instead of Kevin Wilson right? Meyer is a chooser, not a begger, doesn't need to play games.

Sounds like the next Ryan Day is the one we want, not Wilson, especially people aren't 100% about the reasons for his firing (belittled and berated his injured players).

I hate to burst your bubble Woad, buuuuuuut, OSU runs their QB:
attempts and TDs
J.K. Dobbins 194 7
J.T. Barrett 165 12

Their QB runs almost as much as their primary rb , and it looks like he's a goal-line vulture for them too.

ADVERTISEMENT