ADVERTISEMENT

So, are the talks between the ACC and FSU and Clemson

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
Going to end with an intact ACC?

Allegedly, the ACC is now seriously discussing with that pair a plan to alter distributions so that there is more money given to the schools with the best TV numbers.

Even the most foolishly stupid person knows that TV shows get paid by the TV numbers. Shows that do not produce needed numbers get moved into lesser slots, and then get cancelled. Yet college sports fans - and they are really prominent among schools not named Penn St that are located in the northeast -assume that not only should networks pay all leagues the same money no matter how little;e some leagues have TV viewers, but that then leagues MUST distribute revenue to all members exactly equal.

But If a Wake produces numbers that are half or less than are the numbers of an FSU, why shouldn't FSU get more of the revenue?

It reminds me of the Seinfeld season in which they get to write and film a pilot. George is infuriated by how much Ted Danson is paid for being the star of Cheers and assumes he should get the same - because they both will be on the NBC network. Shouldn't everybody on NBC get the same pay? George absurdly asserts that he is better than Ted Danson, perhaps because he thinks that all it takes is for his show to be on TRV and then it will have as many viewers as Cheers. That is exactly like the absurd claims made by BC nd Cuse fans that if inky they are on TV and can win, their TV numbers will be great!.

My starting point with this is that if FSU and Clemson have left, or are still making it clear they will leave as soon as they can afford to do so, then the next ACC TV deal will be so poor that what happened to the Pac will happen too the ACC if the BT and SEC between them want 8 or more ACC members. And I think they will. I think that of each could get the money from. network to pay for it, each would want 6-9, maybe 10. And 8 or more probably would get taken. The ACC definitely is more valuable than full Pac 12 was.

If the ACC internecine wars can end with some revenue distributed based on TV numbers, then the ACC is STUPID unto death not to do it. If doing that means schools like Wake, BC, and Cuse threaten to leave, shove them out the door. As quickly as possible. And bolt it afterwards.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT