ADVERTISEMENT

Sorry to say this about Sam....

keysersosay#1

Hall of Famer
Apr 7, 2006
but he is not the best QB n the ACC. That tittle belongs to the kid at Pitt. Heck he may be the Best in the nation. Don't get me wrong, I love Sam and am glad he is our QB. The Pitt QB has a stronger arm and better short and medium passing skills, He sees the field brilliantly and has tremendous pocket poise and presence. He may be a bit older than Sam not sure but if I was drafting this upcoming year, he would be my pick...although Sam is gonna have a very bright NFL career

but he is not the best QB n the ACC. That tittle belongs to the kid at Pitt. Heck he may be the Best in the nation. Don't get me wrong, I love Sam and am glad he is our QB. The Pitt QB has a stronger arm and better short and medium passing skills, He sees the field brilliantly and has tremendous pocket poise and presence. He may be a bit older than Sam not sure but if I was drafting this upcoming year, he would be my pick...although Sam is gonna have a very bright NFL career
Pitt QB has been in their system for 5 years. Luckily for him, he's got an OL that gives him time to survey the field to use that strong arm.

Well you are right about the OL. Ours has been bad really bad. We also lost a ton of production and weapons with the loss of the RBs and Brown and Dazz. It is a close call but right now I still lean to the Pitt guy. I hate to say it but IMO that is the reality

Well you are right about the OL. Ours has been bad really bad. We also lost a ton of production and weapons with the loss of the RBs and Brown and Dazz. It is a close call but right now I still lean to the Pitt guy. I hate to say it but IMO that is the reality
That's fine as long as you realize the Pitt QB is 2 years older and has a better OL. Would also take Sam's legs, which is a very underrated part of his game.

Hard to compare the short and medium skills when you have a playbook that only have a couple and receivers who can't catch them.

Reactions: Archer2
Pitt QB has been in their system for 5 years. Luckily for him, he's got an OL that gives him time to survey the field to use that strong arm.
The Pitt OL is indeed very good. If we had that OL, we would have beaten VT. With that OL, we'd have held the ball longer and scored more against both GT and FSU. Perhaps enough to win both, even with such poor tackling and only WR looking like he can play Major College football.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Pickens should be 1st team All-ACC. And if Pitt is 11-1, he should get more than a few Heisman votes.

Right now, I'd vote Hartman for 2nd team ALL-ACC.

But there is no doubt that if we'd had decent OL and WR development, Sam would have much better numbers this year.

I attended both schools, and support both, so I think I have a fairly unbiased view (between the two I mean). Before the season began, I would have taken Sam in a heartbeat and said he was the better quarterback.

OL or not, he’s unfortunately regressed this year and Kenny has taken huge leaps forward. Sam has had just some head scratcher plays that I haven’t seen from Kenny this year - but I did see from Kenny in years past.

They both have the ability to make plays with their feet, either getting outside the pocket and keeping the play alive for the WRs downfield, or running to the sticks. They both have an edge to their game and toughness, too, which I love (so long as they stay healthy). They both seem to enjoy the contact when they run for it.

I would love to see either one of them play for my team on Sundays (and considering that’s the Steelers and we need to move on from Ben, could be a reality).

At this point, if the rest of the season goes like the first 7 games, I put KP as QB1 on my board. If either is available when the Steelers are on the clock though, I’d be a happy dude.

I attended both schools, and support both, so I think I have a fairly unbiased view (between the two I mean). Before the season began, I would have taken Sam in a heartbeat and said he was the better quarterback.

OL or not, he’s unfortunately regressed this year and Kenny has taken huge leaps forward. Sam has had just some head scratcher plays that I haven’t seen from Kenny this year - but I did see from Kenny in years past.

They both have the ability to make plays with their feet, either getting outside the pocket and keeping the play alive for the WRs downfield, or running to the sticks. They both have an edge to their game and toughness, too, which I love (so long as they stay healthy). They both seem to enjoy the contact when they run for it.

I would love to see either one of them play for my team on Sundays (and considering that’s the Steelers and we need to move on from Ben, could be a reality).

At this point, if the rest of the season goes like the first 7 games, I put KP as QB1 on my board. If either is available when the Steelers are on the clock though, I’d be a happy dude.
Sam has a whole lotta upside at just 21 years old. Wherever he goes, I hope it's a QB friendly offense with talent around him to help reach his ceiling. No OL and just 1 proven WR would regress a lot of QB's.

Reactions: tarheel0910
It's fine to say
It's fine say Pickett is having the better "year". Better Qb?...debatable. UNC's OL is dismal; he doesn't have run support; and our atrocious D vs. Pitt's limits our offensive possessions.

Are you new to football?

#SteelerNation

I’m going to the Bears game Monday night.

Any GM taking KP over Sam will live to regret that decision

A little additional info to pass along to some( who clearly have no idea what they are talking about) on this board who love to throw stones at other posters, I see this am where Mel Kyper who is Paid a LOT of $$$$ to evaluate talent, has Pickett as his #1 QB in this draft. Sam is Not in Kypers top 4 QBS in this draft. Sam will be a very solid pro IMO.. I hope the REDSKINS..... they will always be the REDSKINS to me ....draft him

BTW Kyper says this is a weak draft for QBS and has None of his top 4 QBS in the top 10 picks in the draft David Pollack also on ESPN strongly agrees with Mel on Pickett. apparently some 100 NFL scouts will be in Pittsburgh Thursday night to watch the game.

A little additional info to pass along to some( who clearly have no idea what they are talking about) on this board who love to throw stones at other posters, I see this am where Mel Kyper who is Paid a LOT of $$$$ to evaluate talent, has Pickett as his #1 QB in this draft. Sam is Not in Kypers top 4 QBS in this draft. Sam will be a very solid pro IMO.. I hope the REDSKINS..... they will always be the REDSKINS to me ....draft him

BTW Kyper says this is a weak draft for QBS and has None of his top 4 QBS in the top 10 picks in the draft David Pollack also on ESPN strongly agrees with Mel on Pickett. apparently some 100 NFL scouts will be in Pittsburgh Thursday night to watch the game.
Go back and look at his takes for JaMarcus Russell, Brett Favre, Joey Harrington, David Carr, Russell Wilson etc. He's a good personality but these guys are just throwing darts blindfolded. Which teams these QB's go to also plays a big role, so I'm not knocking him completely as it's insanely difficult to project what a player will do in the big leagues.

Go back and look at his takes for JaMarcus Russell, Brett Favre, Joey Harrington, David Carr, Russell Wilson etc. He's a good personality but these guys are just throwing darts blindfolded. Which teams these QB's go to also plays a big role, so I'm not knocking him completely as it's insanely difficult to project what a player will do in the big leagues.
Yeah, I'm not turning to Mel for talent evaluation. Where a draft analysist thinks someone will be drafted, isn't the same as a scout evaluating them. Sam is the runaway Heisman winner for a 10 win team. Unfortunately, he's on a six win team.

Reactions: heelfan1961
Yeah, I'm not turning to Mel for talent evaluation. Where a draft analysist thinks someone will be drafted, isn't the same as a scout evaluating them. Sam is the runaway Heisman winner for a 10 win team. Unfortunately, he's on a six win team.
It is sad to say, but those wins are a huge difference. If we were a 1 loss team right now, Howell would be at the top of most Heisman lists.

It also is true that some NFL teams will not want to draft Howell until at least the 2nd round because they will think he's a bit short.

Howell is a battler, a warrior. I'd want him on my team even if I had a young QB starter who is good enough to make the Pro Bowl.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
i think his height will be the biggest hit against him but i believe he'll make all the throws at the combine and change some minds. he can't run like he does now in the NFL but everyone's seen his grit and toughness. he'll get his day in the NFL and he'll be a good QB

Not sure why height is still a thing. It's been proven over the last 10-15 years that "shorter" QBs can thrive. You would think at some point the NFL would understand that. I think most scouts do, though. It's just the people on the outside that think it's a huge deal.

they have a proto-typical everything now - height, speed, shuttle, tons of throws and ability to digest play books. i think the height one goes back to the short throws and check downs

Not sure why height is still a thing. It's been proven over the last 10-15 years that "shorter" QBs can thrive. You would think at some point the NFL would understand that. I think most scouts do, though. It's just the people on the outside that think it's a huge deal.
Because the metrics say so. The shorter a QB, the more issues he can have playing against all those defenders 6-3 and taller, with long arms.

But a guy who can pass and has a super drive to win will show himself.

Preseason our offensive line was thought of as very good in some circles, with a bunch of 3 and 4 year and even a 5th year player they are not showing me much. Sam not getting protection, rb's finding few holes to hit...I do like #11 on the slant, that kid can fly.

Because the metrics say so. The shorter a QB, the more issues he can have playing against all those defenders 6-3 and taller, with long arms.
Metrics have changed in the world of new offenses. Scouts realize that. It will obviously be in the "con" column, but I don't think it's considered as big of a deal as it used to be. Especially when the QB has the ability to run.

As for Sam’s nfl hopes i will say his arm strength isn’t ideal but adequate. He has good accuracy and mobility. He damn well better learn to slide real fast though. That avg speed of his combined with running upright like he does will get him killed.

Shorter QB’s can absolutely be successful in the NFL and I’m guessing most GM’s know that. That said, specific adjustments do have to be made and that might not necessarily jive with every offensive scheme. Generally you need to set up a deeper pocket, and also move the pocket when necessary. Hot routes generally need to be thrown a little wider, where taller QB’s can throw straight into the face of pressure up the middle without getting balls batted and picked. Great footwork and the ability to throw out of multiple arm slots can make a big difference. Sam has great footwork and is a former baseball player that has no problem adjusting his arm angle. I think he’ll do fine.

The biggest setback IMO is that his running ability will almost completely be neutralized. He isn’t fast enough to outrun LB’s at the next level and he isn’t going to bounce off of those guys either. So you have to be confident enough to draft him as a pocket passer that will occasionally pick up a first down for you when a hole opens up.

Malik Willis over Sam? That’s crazy. Sam will be the cornerstone of any team that drafts him.

Shorter QB’s can absolutely be successful in the NFL and I’m guessing most GM’s know that. That said, specific adjustments do have to be made and that might not necessarily jive with every offensive scheme. Generally you need to set up a deeper pocket, and also move the pocket when necessary. Hot routes generally need to be thrown a little wider, where taller QB’s can throw straight into the face of pressure up the middle without getting balls batted and picked. Great footwork and the ability to throw out of multiple arm slots can make a big difference. Sam has great footwork and is a former baseball player that has no problem adjusting his arm angle. I think he’ll do fine.

The biggest setback IMO is that his running ability will almost completely be neutralized. He isn’t fast enough to outrun LB’s at the next level and he isn’t going to bounce off of those guys either. So you have to be confident enough to draft him as a pocket passer that will occasionally pick up a first down for you when a hole opens up.
I don't think anyone expects him to run like he does now, but I think he can easily get 15-20 per game and move around enough to extend plays and find receivers. That's all he needs to be able to do. Well, that and finding a baseball player to teach him to slide.

I don't think anyone expects him to run like he does now, but I think he can easily get 15-20 per game and move around enough to extend plays and find receivers. That's all he needs to be able to do. Well, that and finding a baseball player to teach him to slide.
Yeah. He’s not Lamar but he’s proven he’s mobile a la Baker Mayfield. His protection will be much better at the Pro Level and the offense will have a lot more structure

Kind of hard to say Sam wasn't the better in the game. Pickett had about 50 more yards against our horrible D. Other than the yards, Sam out played him.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
Kind of hard to say Sam wasn't the better in the game. Pickett had about 50 more yards against our horrible D. Other than the yards, Sam out played him.
Pitt was missing a lot of players on both sides of the ball last night including 2 WR and 2 on the oline. There were WRs who hadn't seen the field getting a good bit of playing time. I was expecting UNC to win this one because of the injuries and Howell.

Pitt was missing a lot of players on both sides of the ball last night including 2 WR and 2 on the oline. There were WRs who hadn't seen the field getting a good bit of playing time. I was expecting UNC to win this one because of the injuries and Howell.
Our scoring D is ranked 111th in the nation. That is after last night. Even with those people out, Pitt should have done better than they did. Don't know if we were just being overlooked, Pitt just had a bad game or some other reason, but if I was Pitt I wouldn't put this in the good game column.

ADVERTISEMENT