ADVERTISEMENT

speaking of scrimmage

Any whispers about who on the current squad might be showing some improvement? Would love to hear that Puff is knocking down shots, Dunn is a dog or Styles is making old guys work.

A little snippit,
the crafty Kenny Williams abused freshman D'Marco Dunn on one end, creating some space on a drive with a subtle shoulder to Dunn's chest. But on the very next possession, Dunn pump-faked Williams (an echo of Roy Williams from practices past could still be heard shouting, "Shot fake, stay down!") and drove to the basket for an easy score.
and so it goes.
And Theo offering insight to RJ.

I might put up some analysis later, if I have the time. As a teaser, we have shooters and bucket makers for sure. The issue, as in past seasons, is translating practice performances to the live games. I have a real feeling that it WILL happen this year. I have spoken to most of the former players who have participated in P/U with the current team with all the new additions and all are impressed with the team’s work ethic and desire to improve. Some guys are really excited about the possibilities this team has this season. They have a lot more time left to create improvements in their individual games before official practice ever begins. Looking very good for us.

I wonder, and maybe 75 can correct me if I’m wrong, but I wonder about the two full court games thing. Assuming they split the lineups between the white and blue team, totally hypothetical, we have a current team breakdown of:

Team A:

Caleb
Ant
Leaky
Brady
McCoy

Team B:

RJ
Demarco
Kerwin
Dontrez
Mando

OK, that’s fine for a regular scrimmage.

Now put either one of those lineups against:

Marcus
Kenny
Theo
Hansbrough
Jawad

Both current lineups are a blend of young, new, and two upperclassmen (one per team) who have been great at times but wildly inconsistent.

The alumni team features 4 NBA contracts, 2 g league players who still play overseas, a current NBA player on a playoff team, and two guys who played in the league + overseas for years.

What did we think would happen with a salt and peppered lineup of current players against 5 pros and 4 (almost 5) National Champions?

And that’s just a hypothetical example. The reality is, the matchups could’ve been much worse.

I wonder, and maybe 75 can correct me if I’m wrong, but I wonder about the two full court games thing. Assuming they split the lineups between the white and blue team, totally hypothetical, we have a current team breakdown of:

Team A:

Caleb
Ant
Leaky
Brady
McCoy

Team B:

RJ
Demarco
Kerwin
Dontrez
Mando

OK, that’s fine for a regular scrimmage.

Now put either one of those lineups against:

Marcus
Kenny
Theo
Hansbrough
Jawad

Both current lineups are a blend of young, new, and two upperclassmen (one per team) who have been great at times but wildly inconsistent.

The alumni team features 4 NBA contracts, 2 g league players who still play overseas, a current NBA player on a playoff team, and two guys who played in the league + overseas for years.

What did we think would happen with a salt and peppered lineup of current players against 5 pros and 4 (almost 5) National Champions?

And that’s just a hypothetical example. The reality is, the matchups could’ve been much worse.
P/U games are often mix and match with team players and veterans. Always and I mean always, the veterans make sure to play the current team 2 out of 3 and they hardly ever get to the 3rd match.

ETA: I forgot to mention that you have to win or you sit until the next match is over.
Usually they are 3-4 teams assembled at any given time, although I have seen as many as 8 in past summers. The players will generally pick their teams and take their chances. The way it's done makes for a lot of different looks and styles of play.
The current team usually will run the offensive sets that will be used during a season, although I have seen a lot more freelance offense to date, so maybe that's not the case since Hubert has taken over, I just don't know for sure.

Last edited:
I might put up some analysis later, if I have the time. As a teaser, we have shooters and bucket makers for sure. The issue, as in past seasons, is translating practice performances to the live games. I have a real feeling that it WILL happen this year. I have spoken to most of the former players who have participated in P/U with the current team with all the new additions and all are impressed with the team’s work ethic and desire to improve. Some guys are really excited about the possibilities this team has this season. They have a lot more time left to create improvements in their individual games before official practice ever begins. Looking very good for us.

Alright 75 - who guarded you and how many did you drop on him? 😂😃

Reactions: alabamaheel
I feel you '75! I have gone from dunking on peeps' heads to not being able to jump over a quarter!

Your watching them scrimmage 75, 1 thing I REALLY want a feel for is Puff. Not so much how his shot looks but more so does he appear to have added some bulk to that frame? To me that has always been what I consider the key to unlocking his potential. I see Puff developing as such nd important part because he represents that long wing (like we had with JJ and Cam) that can shoot it, that will not hesitate to shoot it, that does not just force a defender to stay on or close to him but has the length to shoot over the top of wing defenders. That to me is the can opener, that creates room for everyone else.

When Puff was being recruited, I said 2 things about him. First was he was the guy I wanted for the wing spot because he is a deadly jump shooter. But the second thing I said was that I really did not expect much from him as a freshman and I didn't because he so badly needed to add some bulk to that thin frame. I believe the rest of his game will round out if he can add enough bulk so that he is not so easily pushed around, hoping that has happened but he does have a hard frame to add weight to, same as Cam had.

David, I have seen Puff on several occasions this summer and as we should all expect, after last seasons end, all players are given areas to improve on and are given mandatory workout procedures to follow. During my last visit to watch P/U games, I saw neither Puff, Ant, or the Lebo kid in any of the scrimmages. I could have missed them , but I doubt it, as there was 2 courts going and you could pretty much see everyone playing.

Some of the players have obligations, family visits, etc. to deal with, so it's not unusual for some to miss some P/U games, but the games are held practically every day unless the team has scheduled practices, of which there are 4 allowed by the NCAA during summer break. As far as Puff adding bulk, I do think he has added bulk, particularly through the shoulders. To be honest, I just haven't noticed a marked difference in his physical appearance that would jump out at you. A lot though, can change in the next 3 months, we'll just have to wait and see.

David, I have seen Puff on several occasions this summer and as we should all expect, after last seasons end, all players are given areas to improve on and are given mandatory workout procedures to follow. During my last visit to watch P/U games, I saw neither Puff, Ant, or the Lebo kid in any of the scrimmages. I could have missed them , but I doubt it, as there was 2 courts going and you could pretty much see everyone playing.

Some of the players have obligations, family visits, etc. to deal with, so it's not unusual for some to miss some P/U games, but the games are held practically every day unless the team has scheduled practices, of which there are 4 allowed by the NCAA during summer break. As far as Puff adding bulk, I do think he has added bulk, particularly through the shoulders. To be honest, I just haven't noticed a marked difference in his physical appearance that would jump out at you. A lot though, can change in the next 3 months, we'll just have to wait and see.
Thanks, appreciate the info!

Nice find! I kept saying the lack of playing against the former players showed on the court and contributed to peeps leaving more than usual! I love Jawad saying he really liked McKoy, Styles, and Maneks' games! It is especially telling when he said Manek had far more to show than he did before!

Family is back!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT