ADVERTISEMENT

Stacey Searles

Sep 14, 2004
Cane fan here. I come in peace.

Saw the recent main board story on UNC OL Coach Stacey Searles. Yikes.

Just a warning. Stacey was hired at Miami by Mark Richt 3 years ago as OL coach for the Canes. OMG. Disaster. Beware.

Did you see the Canes’ OL performance vs Florida?

* poor evaluation and recruitment
* lousy technique training
* players hate him. He yells and yells. Nothing more.

Searles worked for Mac at Texas. Beware.

Just a warning. Stacey was hired at Miami by Mark Richt 3 years ago as OL coach for the Canes. OMG. Disaster. Beware.

Was it searles’ fault For the oline play against Florida? Maybe you mean a different year idk.

Sorry guys.

I sent you a friendly warning in good faith that, imho, Searles is a lousy OL Coach. He recruited and coached every player on the Miami OL that performed poorly vs Florida. Manny fired him when Richt retired.

Your response, other than 0910, has been a bit aggressive and hostile. Not sure why. I tried to be objective and non partisan about Searles. It was not received as such.

Good luck on Saturday night.

Sorry guys.

I sent you a friendly warning in good faith that, imho, Searles is a lousy OL Coach. He recruited and coached every player on the Miami OL that performed poorly vs Florida. Manny fired him when Richt retired.

Your response, other than 0910, has been a bit aggressive and hostile. Not sure why. I tried to be objective and non partisan about Searles. It was not received as such.

Searles is a fine offensive line coach with a long track record of success. He failed at Miami because he was stuck coaching on the offensive side of the ball for Mark Richt, no other reason. His offensive line looked pretty damn good this past Saturday as they were manhandling South Carolina. You Miami fans complained the entire time but honestly the vast majority of you are pretty ignorant when it comes to football so you probably don't know what you're looking at. North Carolina fans, you got a fine coach.

Reactions: heelfan1961
Only time will tell about Searles. One thing is certain, if he doesn’t get the job done, Mack will cut him loose. Sometimes it’s all about the fit.

cortez55403, don’t forget Diaz is unproven as a HC himself. Your program has probably underachieved in recent years as much as any team in the country considering your talent level.

Here’s to a great game with no injuries.

Sorry guys.

Forgive us if we might be a little testy. But if you had seen the types of SC fans that came over here last week, you would see why we might be leery of opposing fans. Those cock fans were the worst I've ever seen (with the exception of the bovine-loving moo fans). So far, the Canes fans visiting us have been respectful.

Back to your OP, and to reiterate Arch, a lot of times it could be the fit with the HC / OC, and the schemes (on both sides of the ball) that have a lot to do with the success of a position coach. Heels fans witnessed first-hand when DCs that were successful at other schools fell flat on their face here under the previous regime, so we know this to be true.

All we know is that the OL exceeded our expectations last week. And if Mack trusts him enough to work with him again, then that's good enough for me. Time will tell.

Here's to a good game, with no injuries. I think it will be a close one, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the Heels respond after last week versus a quality opponent.

Just a warning, but you sound like a cuck.

Yeah, Mack's Texas teams were terrible. I would hate for Carolina to ever suck as bad as Texas.

Sorry guys.

tenor.gif

Wonder what the S.C. coaches think of the job that Stacy Searles and his OL did against their vaulted SEC defense?

Have to agree with the comment above that Miami has underachieved now for maybe 15+ years, and I hope that trend continues...

You can’t lose your senior starter at center and not feel the effect. He was not only our most experienced OL, he was also our most versatile, capable of playing C, RT, and LT. He was our vocal leader, the most important guy on the OL. We aren’t nearly as good without him. Strowbridge is the equivalent on the DL, we need him desperately because we’re still building depth everywhere.

Reactions: heelfan1961
My opposition to Searels was that both Miami and VT fans disliked what he had done there, and each place indeed failed to have top OLs while he was OL coach.

One of the things noted by people about the Wake game is that the smaller Wake Front 7 ran rings around our huge OL. Some OL coaches, even when it has not worked well before, assume that if you get the largest OL around, that large OL will push everybody around.

Sometimes large is too slow, and/or incapable of playing together well as a unit.

We'll know more by the time we finish with GT.

Reactions: cortez55403
We have size on the OL as you stated, but not much depth. With Polino out at the crucial C position and then Heck going out, we lost most of the experience we had on the OL. I think that had more to do with our struggles in the first half than anything. Remember our OL played well against two good DL’s in the two opening games.

It’s going to be hard for this team to compensate for losing some of our best players, but that’s exactly what we have to do. Depth and experience will be built over the next 2-3 years. It just doesn’t happen overnight.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Sorry guys.

_big_Williams_Tucker_190907fb_miami_live008.jpg

Thanks for wishing us luck and feeling sorry for us before the Miami game. 28-25

Reactions: Archer2
You can’t lose your senior starter at center and not feel the effect. He was not only our most experienced OL, he was also our most versatile, capable of playing C, RT, and LT. He was our vocal leader, the most important guy on the OL. We aren’t nearly as good without him. Strowbridge is the equivalent on the DL, we need him desperately because we’re still building depth everywhere.
Anderson played great against little Carolina.

I personally think Searles might be a weak point for us. Not real high on Longo either.

Love the rest of the staff though.

I like longo's ability to convert 3rd & short and 4th & short, and I like the 2PT conversions in the redzone.

PSA: We are three games into their first season on staff, with a lot of young position players, new scheme and injuries to important positions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT