Stats for Week 12: North Carolina at Virginia Tech

Raising Heel

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2008
A van down by the river
Click any graphic to enlarge.

VTH2HChart_mhbds5.png

Last edited:
I found a couple of weird stats among the ACC earlier today, and this thread seems as good a place as any to share them.

In 7 ACC games this season, Boston College has scored a combined 56 points, which means UNC has scored more points in either of their last two games than BC has scored all season against ACC play. In fact, there are 4 instances where one ACC team scored 56 or more in a single game against ACC competition this season, twice by UNC and twice by Clemson

Only 3 ACC teams have wins over opponents that were ranked at the time: Clemson, UNC, and Georgia Tech. The Atlantic is 2-14, the Coastal is 2-15.

The game this week marks the 2nd consecutive game where we play the Coastal team on the next-longest active winning steak, as VT has won the past 2.

Reactions: Raising Heel
Found another interesting stat on ESPN where they were comparing our common ACC opponents with Notre Dame. Against the 4 common teams we played (UVA, GT, Pitt, Wake), Notre Dame had a combined scoring margin of +48. We had a combined scoring margin of +63. We beat Wake & UVA by more than they did, they beat GT & Pitt by more than we did.

Reactions: Raising Heel
I look for Beamer to try and dominate the TOP with his running game if possible, thus limiting our number of possessions. Neither team has been great against the run, especially UNC. Both teams are strongest against the pass. The team that can establish the run will have a distinct advantage.

Limiting catastrophic plays and TO's are our keys for the game. If we win the TO battle, I feel good about our chances!

Limiting catastrophic plays and TO's are our keys for the game. If we win the TO battle, I feel good about our chances!
If we win the TO battle, we win going away. I think you're exactly right about their game plan, we have to stop the run. They have to be thinking they can win if they keep the ball out of our hands, however, we have only won the possession battle twice this year, against NC A&T and Duke, and in those games we held the ball for 44 seconds and 46 seconds longer than our opponents, respectively. In the South Carolina game, they held the ball for 11 minutes and 16 seconds longer than we did, but Illinois, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest and Pitt all had larger time of possession margins on us. So while it is probably one of the things they will try to do against us, with the weapons we have on the offense, we can score so quickly that the time of possession battle hasn't really been significant this season. By my count, we have had 37 scoring drives this season of less than 2 minutes, and 17 of less than a minute. We had 6 scoring drives of 2 minutes or less in each of the Miami, Duke and Wake Forest games, and 5 of them against Illinois. The most 1 minute or less scoring drives in one game we've had was 4 against Wake. So we can score in a hurry, even while the team holds the ball longer than we do.

As I said, the big thing to avoid is turnovers, but also a slow start. With the circumstances of this particular game, we don't want to be with our backs against the wall anymore than we already are. So we need to go out, jump on these turkeys, and keep our foot on the gas.

As I said, the big thing to avoid is turnovers, but also a slow start. With the circumstances of this particular game, we don't want to be with our backs against the wall anymore than we already are. So we need to go out, jump on these turkeys, and keep our foot on the gas.
This. My biggest fear for this game is that we start out sloppy and VT gets some easy points on us; if they get some special teams or defensive scores, we could be in for a long day.

We need a fast start and eliminate any hope they have.

Yeah, if you look at TOP only, you'd never guess we'd be 9-1. But we've had a ton of quick strike scoring drives that have compensated. We've also won the turnover battle almost every week, SC being a notable exception. IIRC, we haven't turned the ball over in our last 3 tilts.

Minimal TO's and an explosive offense are a delicious recipe for winning. Let's keep it up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT