ADVERTISEMENT

Taggert Gone

Attractive job. But not as attractive as it once was. Imagine the FSU brass will take a run at Urban and probably at Franklin at Penn St. They will get neither and then move on to others. Then you will hear the usual names of the up and comers. Satterfield, Matt Campbell at Iowa St, Fickell at Cincy. Could see them going after Rhule at Baylor who has done a good job there. Stoops may get in the mix. Done a solid job at a tough place in the SEC at Kentucky and used to be the DC at FSU. But dont expect FSU to make the grand slam hire so many FSU fans think is automatic. FSU isnt the same place it was years ago.

Attractive job. But not as attractive as it once was. Imagine the FSU brass will take a run at Urban and probably at Franklin at Penn St. They will get neither and then move on to others. Then you will hear the usual names of the up and comers. Satterfield, Matt Campbell at Iowa St, Fickell at Cincy. Could see them going after Rhule at Baylor who has done a good job there. Stoops may get in the mix. Done a solid job at a tough place in the SEC at Kentucky and used to be the DC at FSU. But dont expect FSU to make the grand slam hire so many FSU fans think is automatic. FSU isnt the same place it was years ago.
the fsu brass has stated unequivocally they will not hire urban going as far as saying if the football team were literally on fire they wouldnt call meyer

I really like what Matt Rhule has done so far at Baylor while facing massive issues with that program.

I really like what Matt Rhule has done so far at Baylor while facing massive issues with that program.
What he has done there is the reason I think he won't leave Baylor yet. The Bears could be least as good next year as they are now.

What he has done there is the reason I think he won't leave Baylor yet. The Bears could be least as good next year as they are now.

Isn't it better to strike now while his reputation is at a high point, especially for a better job.

Bob Stoops is only 59. I find it hard to believe he is truly ready to be out of CFB for life. Surely he wants to take one more shot. if so, how jobs more promising than FSU will open tis year or next?
I'm hearing his brother at UK is also in consideration. That's why I asked which Stoops was g referring to.

I'm hearing his brother at UK is also in consideration. That's why I asked which Stoops was g referring to.
Mark was FSU DC and so has valuable experience there, knowing the program inside and out. But his record as HC is no great thing anybody can get thrilled about. Is Mark Stoops worth paying off Taggart and then buying out at UK and then paying 5 mill or so for at least 5 years guaranteed?

Surely FSU wants bigger.

Bob Stoops was UF DC for 3 years, but is not close to an SEC guy. In fact, he came to resent the SEC a good deal while at OU. If he wants to get back to college coaching, then FSU is perfect because he will play UF every year and recruit directly against the SEC, and a good coach at FSU should win at least 9 games every year.

Isn't it better to strike now while his reputation is at a high point, especially for a better job.
Yes, but Rhule is from the northeast: born in NYC and raised in State College, PA. Almost certainly, his dream job is either the NFL or Penn St. If that is the case, why would be leave a Baylor program he has rebuilt much faster than anyone thought possible to take the FSU job?

stoops supposedly wasn’t interested in any job other than nd...i just don’t see the allure of that job anymore.

sorry, fsu

I know they've been down recently but it's still a Florida school in a power 5 conference. Florida still produces a lot of elite prospects at all positions, so I would think they can have a sustained level of success with the right coach.

To me, ND has lost of their allure than the Noles.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
my feeling is nd will always sell-out, have bank, an easy road to a title, and is an historic program.

fsu is waning support, it’s tougher to get to a title game, not sure about money going forward, and the history isn’t really talked about unless bowden is mentioned.

i don’t think either job is ideal because of alumni, but i think nd is better.

my feeling is nd will always sell-out, have bank, an easy road to a title, and is an historic program.

fsu is waning support, it’s tougher to get to a title game, not sure about money going forward, and the history isn’t really talked about unless bowden is mentioned.

i don’t think either job is ideal because of alumni, but i think nd is better.
Disagree about ND having an easier path. I think it's harder. The lack of a conference title game for them means they can't afford a loss. The SEC, Big 10 and maybe even the ACC can still get in with a one loss team. ND needs a lot to go right in addition to being undefeated.

Disagree about ND having an easier path. I think it's harder. The lack of a conference title game for them means they can't afford a loss. The SEC, Big 10 and maybe even the ACC can still get in with a one loss team. ND needs a lot to go right in addition to being undefeated.

I agree, and it could become even tougher if the playoff expands and they start awarding automatic bids to conference champions. For instance, if it's the five power conference champions and 3 wildcards, that doesn't leave them much room.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I agree, and it could become even tougher if the playoff expands and they start awarding automatic bids to conference champions. For instance, if it's the five power conference champions and 3 wildcards, that doesn't leave them much room.
I think it would be slightly easier if it goes to eight. They would still be heavily dependent on other schools, so you're right that they wouldn't have much room for error. If it stays at four and the ACC network does well, I think there is a good chance ND becomes a full time member when their NBC contract expires. They want championships and I think at some point they will realize that they need to be in a conference to have the best shot at winning one.

Deion Sanders being reported as a potential candidate for FSU job... yikes
You don't think his coaching experience at the high school level will prepare him for a P5 head coaching job? Other than talent level, schemes, fundraising, media attention and recruiting they are basically the same job.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT