ADVERTISEMENT

Talking 2018: Defensive Line

Good stuff.

I think we know what we're going to get from Dalton and Crawford, though both will certainly be more consistent and a little stronger after another off-season.

Strowbridge and Clarke are wildcards to me. He isn't super speedy, but i'd like to see Strowbridge on the edge on standard downs. If not, perhaps he can add 10 pounds this spring and be even tougher inside on runs. He really didn't gain much weight during the position transition. Media guide lists him 270 both his rs-fr as an end as well as last yr as a DT.

Clarke has shown flashes every yr since he was a frosh. He missed all spring after his RS-frosh, his missed all spring after his RS-Soph for undisclosed reasons, and missed last spring due to injury. Hopefully he can hit the weightroom hard and do big things. Lots of guys have taken 4 yrs to really get it (Collins, Kareem, etc). If Clarke gets it, this would allow Strowbridge to flex out more. And it has been so long since we were tough on 3rd and Short. Hopefully Clarke comes out in great condition, stronger and tipping scales at 320.

second yr highlights

first yr highlights

I think Carney will keep doing what he's doing, but I doubt he'll be able to add much weight without losing some of his effectiveness on the rush. Tomon will be a little bigger and better from the off-season.

Not expecting much from Powell since he's spent most of his seasons and off-seasons in injury protocol.

Last edited:
I agree blazers, we have a few D linemen that are 10-20 pounds light which makes it difficult on short yardage plays.

^ If they can keep rotations fresh, goal-line could be Dalton and Strowbridge outside, Crawford and Clarke or Riley on the inside - you'd think that group could get some push.

I've always wanted to see Dalton spend some time at DE. I like Carney too.

If the defensive line can perform well as a unit then it could be the difference maker that determines what kind of season we have in 2018. We badly need those guys to pressure QB's and plug gaps on the run.

Drennon knew where to be and was playing hard he started lots of gmd and had third-most tackles among dl. He actually led the team in quarter-back hurries (tomon was second, Carney third).

But I think Tomon is ready, if Cater, Powell, Hopper improve much they can help offset the loss of Drennon.

As young as our lb is, we should probably just blitz them often vs expecting great coverage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT