andrew jones

Hall of Famer
Staff
Jul 21, 2014

Sponsored by: @Andy MyPerfectFranchise.Net**

*Hate your job?

*Hate your boss?

*Ready to take control of your career?

Call Andy Luedecke to learn more. Consultation is FREE, and he can help you find your perfect franchise. He did it for himself. Dumpster & porta potties are two of his franchises, and so many different things can be yours.

Find Your Perfect Franchise at MyPerfectFranchise.Net. Contact Andy Luedecke anytime at aluedecke@myperfectfranchise.net or (404) 973-9901.

Last edited:
here's why I think polls are next to useless.

Oregon came to the extremely hostile, packed Washington stadium and basically played them even. Reg would have ended in a tie save for a narrowly missed field goal. And as I have complained elsewhere, there were three poorly officiated/reviewed calls that affected the outcome in Washington's favor.

Before the game, they were ranked 8 and 7, and I can't remember which was which...but their ranking had them as basically equal. So after taking them to a virtual tie in Washington's hostile environs, Oregon dropped to eleven while Washington advanced to five.

How does that make sense? up or down, they should STILL be ranked neck and neck.

It reminds me of when we were ranked fifth in 1982 and traveled to #1 ranked Pitt QB'd by Dan Marino. In a defensive battle we lost 7-6, but where they remained #1, we plummeted. I can't remember how far down we went but it was a lot, and it did not at all represent how we competed with the #1 ranked team in the country.

There was a lot of sports media bigotry back then when both major polls were media associated (AP and UPI) and it isn't nearly like that now; but still, try to convince me that these polls are more than only somewhat meaningful.

In other news, the Carolina Tar Heels took a well-deserved jump up to tenth in the coaches poll. No hypocrisy here. Nod nod, wink wink.

here's why I think polls are next to useless.

Oregon came to the extremely hostile, packed Washington stadium and basically played them even. Reg would have ended in a tie save for a narrowly missed field goal. And as I have complained elsewhere, there were three poorly officiated/reviewed calls that affected the outcome in Washington's favor.

Before the game, they were ranked 8 and 7, and I can't remember which was which...but their ranking had them as basically equal. So after taking them to a virtual tie in Washington's hostile environs, Oregon dropped to eleven while Washington advanced to five.

How does that make sense? up or down, they should STILL be ranked neck and neck.

It reminds me of when we were ranked fifth in 1982 and traveled to #1 ranked Pitt QB'd by Dan Marino. In a defensive battle we lost 7-6, but where they remained #1, we plummeted. I can't remember how far down we went but it was a lot, and it did not at all represent how we competed with the #1 ranked team in the country.

There was a lot of sports media bigotry back then when both major polls were media associated (AP and UPI) and it isn't nearly like that now; but still, try to convince me that these polls are more than only somewhat meaningful.

In other news, the Carolina Tar Heels took a well-deserved jump up to tenth in the coaches poll. No hypocrisy here. Nod nod, wink wink.
That UNC fall after losing at Pitt, in what was the first nationally televised CFB game by CBS, has lays been common for ACC teams. Why? If the league itself does not champion, really champion, its football teams and make them the league focus, then pollsters will, without thinking about it, tend to overlook them and some they must nit be much. After all, if they were worth much, then it5 is a given that their league would always be championing them.

Just like the SEC and BT always have done.

That UNC fall after losing at Pitt, in what was the first nationally televised CFB game by CBS, has lays been common for ACC teams. Why? If the league itself does not champion, really champion, its football teams and make them the league focus, then pollsters will, without thinking about it, tend to overlook them and some they must nit be much. After all, if they were worth much, then it5 is a given that their league would always be championing them.

Just like the SEC and BT always have done.
I don't disagree, but my point is the complete denial of pure common sense that accompanies the prejudice. How is a poll supposed to be credible if it doesn't represent intelligent consideration?

Back in the earlier days, the sports media was heavily Northern driven and they were terrible bigots...no sport was played anywhere as well as it was in the North and Midwest. I know, I grew up there and I didn't notice it (the prejudice) until we moved to NC.

Last edited:
Only Poll that matters comes out October 31…Just keep winning…Next 3 are big games…Meaning UNC should blow the doors off of UVA,Ga Tech and Campbell…Get some of the younger guys more PT…Especially at QB…

Reactions: bluetoe
Sporting News has UNC ranked #8.
I honestly hate that. I don't know what the problem is...we either get a swollen head, or we lack confidence in living up to expectations. I suspect the latter.

I'd rather stay underappreciated and gradually sneak up on it.

I saw a poll (ESPN maybe?) that has us at something like 15. More to my liking.

I honestly hate that. I don't know what the problem is...we either get a swollen head, or we lack confidence in living up to expectations. I suspect the latter.

I'd rather stay underappreciated and gradually sneak up on it.

I saw a poll (ESPN maybe?) that has us at something like 15. More to my liking.
But the way polling works for playoffs and getting any shot at the Big post season games is to move enough by mid-season to be able to be ranked top 4, or 8-10, by the end of CCGs. If after 6-0 you are ranked just 15, you likely cannot get high enough to have any shot to be top 4.

At some point, a program simply must stand uo and be a man, which features accepting high rankings and living up to them, or else it is always just a new waste of time.

The ACC has always suffered from leadership that sets the path off football to be Maybe 1 teams per year that is allowed to be really good nd if lucky could finish Top 5, while the same leaders have always wanted endless striving to have as many top 10 and top 20 basketball teams as possible. Literally, that goes back to ACC Year 1. In 1953, the first ACC year, Maryland won the National Championship in football, and the ACC office largely ignored it ever after. At the same time, the same people were endlessly trumpeting their basketball tournament and the amazing depth of basketball power the league had.

That signaled to the entire college sports world how it could, should, treat ACC sports: not serious about football and deadly serious all year long about basketball.

UNC and ACC officials never did anything to alter that until forced, and then every move was made too late and made from a faulty line of thinking (i. e. that being in the northeast was a big help rather than a hindrance to CFB; that mixing what they knew about college basketball with what they knew about the NFL was the way to understand how to make ACC football powerrful enough in all things to save ACC basketball, etc).

So what you note is applicable not just to UNC football but to the entire league except for Clemson, which still could not win a National Championship until 1981, and FSU, which had been a girls college until right before the ACC was founded.

And the league already may be Dead Man Walking because of those things.

But the way polling works for playoffs and getting any shot at the Big post season games is to move enough by mid-season to be able to be ranked top 4, or 8-10, by the end of CCGs. If after 6-0 you are ranked just 15, you likely cannot get high enough to have any shot to be top 4.

At some point, a program simply must stand uo and be a man, which features accepting high rankings and living up to them, or else it is always just a new waste of time.

The ACC has always suffered from leadership that sets the path off football to be Maybe 1 teams per year that is allowed to be really good nd if lucky could finish Top 5, while the same leaders have always wanted endless striving to have as many top 10 and top 20 basketball teams as possible. Literally, that goes back to ACC Year 1. In 1953, the first ACC year, Maryland won the National Championship in football, and the ACC office largely ignored it ever after. At the same time, the same people were endlessly trumpeting their basketball tournament and the amazing depth of basketball power the league had.

That signaled to the entire college sports world how it could, should, treat ACC sports: not serious about football and deadly serious all year long about basketball.

UNC and ACC officials never did anything to alter that until forced, and then every move was made too late and made from a faulty line of thinking (i. e. that being in the northeast was a big help rather than a hindrance to CFB; that mixing what they knew about college basketball with what they knew about the NFL was the way to understand how to make ACC football powerrful enough in all things to save ACC basketball, etc).

So what you note is applicable not just to UNC football but to the entire league except for Clemson, which still could not win a National Championship until 1981, and FSU, which had been a girls college until right before the ACC was founded.

And the league already may be Dead Man Walking because of those things.
you're basing your post on a false premise, which is that we belong anywhere near a playoff...but I will agree somewhat about the prospect of a really good bowl. I do NOT however think that what you are saying is necessarily true in that respect. I refer to our Orange Bowl invite when we were ranked below tenth and Tejas A&M was ranked high.

We need some work in order to even stay on the same field with a Georgia or a Michigan or the Ohio State University. Making the playoff would tickle my fancy, and I'm sure you can imagine how much I like having my fancy tickled. But the ensuing humiliation wouldn't do my outlook or our recruiting much good. Let us come up gradually to just deserving playoff mention and let that give recruiting and my ego a boost

you're basing your post on a false premise, which is that we belong anywhere near a playoff...but I will agree somewhat about the prospect of a really good bowl. I do NOT however think that what you are saying is necessarily true in that respect. I refer to our Orange Bowl invite when we were ranked below tenth and Tejas A&M was ranked high.

We need some work in order to even stay on the same field with a Georgia or a Michigan or the Ohio State University. Making the playoff would tickle my fancy, and I'm sure you can imagine how much I like having my fancy tickled. But the ensuing humiliation wouldn't do my outlook or our recruiting much good. Let us come up gradually to just deserving playoff mention and let that give recruiting and my ego a boost
I do not care at all that this UNC does not look like it could have any shot to even stay in the game with any team able to win that playoff. What I know is that if UNC could into the playoffs, that gives UNC football a Major check mark it requires in oder to become a consistent football power.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I do not care at all that this UNC does not look like it could have any shot to even stay in the game with any team able to win that playoff. What I know is that if UNC could into the playoffs, that gives UNC football a Major check mark it requires in oder to become a consistent football power.
I can't disagree and have no desire to, but to me a crushing defeat would not only uncheck that box, but have people saying, 'yep, same ol paper tiger UNC, should have bet even heavier against them'. That's more or less what would be pointed out to high level recruits. I want us in the playoff when we have a chance to wipe that smirk off some arrogant faces.

I don’t know who you guys are watching but there isn’t a single team in college football this year that looks like they couldn’t lose to anybody in the top 20 on a bad day.

I would not be particularly surprised if UGA and Michigan both rolled into their conference title games with a loss. Same for FSU. I wouldn’t bet on anybody running the table this year.

If a non traditional program was going to find a way to sneak up and win a national championship, this would be a great time to do it.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I don’t know who you guys are watching but there isn’t a single team in college football this year that looks like they couldn’t lose to anybody in the top 20 on a bad day.

I would not be particularly surprised if UGA and Michigan both rolled into their conference title games with a loss. Same for FSU. I wouldn’t bet on anybody running the table this year.

If a non traditional program was going to find a way to sneak up and win a national championship, this would be a great time to do it.
so you're saying we're gonna lose on Saturday.

... Literally, that goes back to ACC Year 1. In 1953, the first ACC year, Maryland won the National Championship in football, and the ACC office largely ignored it ever after. At the same time, the same people were endlessly trumpeting their basketball tournament and the amazing depth of basketball power the league had.
Maryland was voted (obviously no playoff system at the time) the final top ranking in some polls but not all. They actually lost their Orange Bowl game to Oklahoma but the final voting had already occurred.

Reactions: bluetoe
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT